Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card-Based Marvel's Midnight Suns - Marvel universe card-based tactical RPG from Firaxis

warcrimes666

Scholar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It's a shame that the people that worked on it weren't fans of comics and the decision to apply a phone game financialization model is a bizarre and unwelcome one. There's a good game underneath. If they did basically the exact opposite of everything they did comic and character wise, it could have been almost a modern classic. A turn based ultimate alliance without all of the faggy stuff and butch women would have been a success and I do hope the guy who said its 100% the game they wanted to make loses his job really.

Theres thankfully a few mods already to somewhat fix the butch lesbian part and that alone really improves the game right off the bat. Performance is shoddy however, there's a way to start it without the launcher which helps but it still seems to stutter pretty frequently and hitch up everytime it phone's home every few seconds.

I was going to put a side by side but the Ms. Marvel actually in the game is too hideous too contemplate.
Screenshot (788).jpg

Even still, in a somewhat sane world, if they had released at 60 bucks as a complete game without all the horse armour, it could have been a buy from me. As it stands however with their arrogance and cut throat dlc tactics, shit skins and no pride of craft, I can only suggest to play it over the weekend and either be done with it or day one pirate when its time comes at which point there might be some more mods to make the bad parts more tolerable at least.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not really, cringe mechanics no one wanted or asked for. And failed commercially despite pandering for sales by adding all the Avengers as principle actors in the story whilst omitting actual Midnight Suns members to DLC. RIP Morbius.

But at least Morgoth can pretend date Magik. And Blade can eye fuck Captain Marvel during Book Club.

:killit:

Meanwhile, Xcom 2 peaked at 130k players and Mid Suns peaked at 15k 7 years later. Fantastic financial decision Firaxis.
Fwiw, I've never even heard of the Midnight Suns before this game. I didn't even know it was a thing until after I started playing it, I thought they just made it up. :lol:
I mean, oh no, they put the shitty Jared Leto vampire guy from the terrible movie I didn't see into DLC.

LizardWizard

Prophet
Not really, cringe mechanics no one wanted or asked for. And failed commercially despite pandering for sales by adding all the Avengers as principle actors in the story whilst omitting actual Midnight Suns members to DLC. RIP Morbius.

But at least Morgoth can pretend date Magik. And Blade can eye fuck Captain Marvel during Book Club.

:killit:

Meanwhile, Xcom 2 peaked at 130k players and Mid Suns peaked at 15k 7 years later. Fantastic financial decision Firaxis.
Fwiw, I've never even heard of the Midnight Suns before this game. I didn't even know it was a thing until after I started playing it, I thought they just made it up. :lol:
I mean, oh no, they put the shitty Jared Leto vampire guy from the terrible movie I didn't see into DLC.

Oh ok.

Still bombed, commercially despite shilling to commercial casual movie watchers. Which is an extra yikes.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Oh ok.

Still bombed, commercially despite shilling to commercial casual movie watchers. Which is an extra yikes.
I do think it's a good game. I think it'd have been a good game if they'd have catered to comic fans like yourself, who are probably more likely to be into a card based strategy game.

Other than that, whatever comic nerd. :lol:

LizardWizard

Prophet
I do think it's a good game. I think it'd have been a good game if they'd have catered to comic fans like yourself, who are probably more likely to be into a card based strategy game.

Other than that, whatever comic nerd. :lol:

Sounds like you're projecting whilst admitting defeat.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actually this one is mostly faithful enough considering other superhero games we got. Most unfaithful this is the name (SJW bullshit) and long Wolverine. Seriously, wth man...

mediocrepoet

Patron
Heads are rolling.

Steve Martin, and Jake Solomon are both leaving the studio.
It does lok like it indeed. Or maybe they are axing the whole Firaxis team not in charge of Civ or mobile content?
Idk about that. I do know that a new Civ was teased as being in development, but I don't think they will kill XCOM.
Is Firaxis as a whole in a troubled position? Granted, they must have lost a ton on Midnight Suns, which is too bad. I figure it sucks when you can deliver a good game and have it eat shit, even with tons of advertising, while verified crap can earn millions. But I suppose if that wasn't the case, there wouldn't be a Codex.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know the general state of Firaxis, but I do think that they have a few disgruntled execs looking their way. The question is what was forced on the studio, and what was not.

My view is that they wanted a piece of the deck builder pie, but it bit them in the rear. Card mechanics isn't what you know this studio for. Doesn't matter if it was competently handled. People were probably hoping for XCOM with capeshit, not deck builder with tons of dialog on the side.

As I said, the question is who wanted these in the game, studio or leadership.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The price of failure! Don Peste

Between this and Eidos Montreal's failed ventures, it sure seems to be difficult to make a successful superhero-based video game, especially an ensemble-based one about a team of heros. The concept just seems too transparently cynical.

With the movies coming out so frequently, maybe the target audience just doesn't really need a video game that probably won't be as exciting or interesting to them. Maybe the target audience is trained to digest these stories in 2.5 hour cinematic chunks and the idea of playing a 30 hour video game in that universe seems strange and unnecessary.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

LIBERAL PROPAGANDIST
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am kinda curious how thid game would do in 2017-19. It's either:
1. Card based mechanics
2. Marvel fatigue. I mean ant man just flopped. Everything marvel put after no way home flopped relatively compared to its predecessors.
3. Lukewarm reviews

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Between this and Eidos Montreal's failed ventures, it sure seems to be difficult to make a successful superhero-based video game, especially an ensemble-based one about a team of heros. The concept just seems too transparently cynical.

With the movies coming out so frequently, maybe the target audience just doesn't really need a video game that probably won't be as exciting or interesting to them. Maybe the target audience is trained to digest these stories in 2.5 hour cinematic chunks and the idea of playing a 30 hour video game in that universe seems strange and unnecessary to them.

Marvel saturation may have fed into the cynicism. I always shunned the movies and shows, and that's why I don't feel negative towards the game.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

With the movies coming out so frequently, maybe the target audience just doesn't really need a video game that probably won't be as exciting or interesting to them. Maybe the target audience is trained to digest these stories in 2.5 hour cinematic chunks and the idea of playing a 30 hour video game in that universe seems strange and unnecessary.
I also think this game was the intersection of too many things:
- tactical combat
- card battler
- Persona style abbaye
- superheroes

There is a high risk aversion to one or two of these things could turn someone away. I didn't take the plunge because of the Abbey.
Marvel games had troubles before too, though. I think Marvel: Ultimate Alliance didn't work too well.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ultimate Alliance did okay. I think the watered down sequel did worse. I mean, we even got Ultimate Allaince 3, but that was Switch exclusive.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Ultimate Alliance did okay. I think the watered down sequel did worse. I mean, we even got Ultimate Allaince 3, but that was Switch exclusive.
You are right. It was the 2nd that failed (relatively), and the 3rd one was made several years later.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Welp, at least their hands aren't tarnished with the "bloody money" from the Russian market. I doubt it would have saved them anyway.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
I don't know the general state of Firaxis, but I do think that they have a few disgruntled execs looking their way. The question is what was forced on the studio, and what was not.

My view is that they wanted a piece of the deck builder pie, but it bit them in the rear. Card mechanics isn't what you know this studio for. Doesn't matter if it was competently handled. People were probably hoping for XCOM with capeshit, not deck builder with tons of dialog on the side.

As I said, the question is who wanted these in the game, studio or leadership.
From what I've read, it was actually Marvel who came to Firaxis to make the game as they were a fan of Xcom. Maybe someone else can confirm that though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom