Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card-Based Marvel's Midnight Suns - Marvel universe card-based tactical RPG from Firaxis

Also, I don't like the fact difficulties are locked. I doubt normal will provide enough of a challenge for me.
They're unlocked by completing missions with high efficiency. If you know what you're doing you can be playing on the highest difficulty well before the end of Act 1.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There are some weird features like personalizing your room and surprisingly involved appearance customization. I wasn't expecting to play dress-up in this game. Is this what modern AAA games are like? I really must be behind the times on that front.

Modron

Arcane
There are some weird features like personalizing your room and surprisingly involved appearance customization. I wasn't expecting to play dress-up in this game. Is this what modern AAA games are like? I really must be behind the times on that front.
There was a fair bit of customizing looks and the appearance of your gear in nuxcoms, seems fairly appropriate for a game based on comic books to have quite the selection of costumes given how many outfit refreshes superheroes get over the years.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

It’s a failed test for monetization. The mechanics of everything around the core gameplay are almost gacha-like, so it does seem like they might have been heading in that direction at one point

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I've been playing this for a bit and I'm assuming no-one will ever stop quipping the Josh Whedon-esque one-liners?

Dialogue will remain trash and there’s tons of it
Played it a bit during a free weekend. The gameplay was ok, but the dialogues and the story were so cringeworthy, I've decided to give it up, it was not worth it.

I think it’s absolutely worth it since I love the shit out of the core gameplay on Ultimate, but if if it was anything else - if I just really liked the core gameplay for instance - I’d be outta there faster than a motherfucker.

If you don’t love the combat, this ain’t for you methinks.

Lacrymas

Arcane
seems fairly appropriate for a game based on comic books to have quite the selection of costumes given how many outfit refreshes superheroes get over the years.
You can also customize your "civilian" clothing (most of which consists of tight fitting spandex) and even underwear. It borders on fetish-y.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
And yeah, don’t worry about difficulty unlock. It’s set up that way so retards don‘t turn it up before getting a few good decks together. You’ll have Ultimate unlocked in no time.

Whether you can survive it without whining about HP bloat (so-called bloated enemies can be creamed with the right plays) remains to be seen :D

That, and well, whether you have the patience to whether the endless assault of boring dialogue. I bear no ill will towards those who check out…

Lacrymas

Arcane
The dialogues seem to be about the same as an average Marvel movie (which are not my cup of tea, let's put it that way), I'll see if I can bear them. There's also a social media app that the other superheroes post on, which is bizarre. It's a strange experience, like I'm in a different dimension. I wouldn't have expected such things from a tactical TB game, there are other areas the devs could've focused on. If we put aside all of that and take it as-is, all of the superheroes seem to have the same snarky personality and attempt the exact same type of humor.

deuxhero

Arcane
seems fairly appropriate for a game based on comic books to have quite the selection of costumes given how many outfit refreshes superheroes get over the years.
You can also customize your "civilian" clothing (most of which consists of tight fitting spandex) and even underwear. It borders on fetish-y.
But you can't play as a female

The dialogues seem to be about the same as an average Marvel movie (which are not my cup of tea, let's put it that way), I'll see if I can bear them. There's also a social media app that the other superheroes post on, which is bizarre. It's a strange experience, like I'm in a different dimension. I wouldn't have expected such things from a tactical TB game, there are other areas the devs could've focused on. If we put aside all of that and take it as-is, all of the superheroes seem to have the same snarky personality and attempt the exact same type of humor.
The game is a weird attempt to mix tactical combat with a side dish of dating sim (an extremely asexual one, though... Can't have the dirty masses sullying the holy Marvel celebrities) and/or social bonding game.

A lot of people compared it to the Persona series.

As I already stated in the past pages of this thread I'm... Less than impressed with the result. I honestly think that everything they put around the core combat is actively detrimental to its quality rather than complementary to it.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Speaking of which...
There are some weird features like personalizing your room and surprisingly involved appearance customization.
I'd argue that your character's customization is incredibly limited, actually.
Male or female, but both can basically have one single look and apply just minor variations to (haircut, beard, etc).

As far as character generators go, I'd rank this more or less at the bottom of the category.

EDIT - And as you'll have a chance to experience yourself, there isn't much variety in what type of hero you can play, either.
"The Hunter" is a fairly rigid character with only a limited range of options in terms of what powers to specialize on (no, light and dark side don't play significantly differently, either).

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
But you can't play as a female
What?

Look at character creation screen. You're not actually playing as a female, just a :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Speaking of which...
There are some weird features like personalizing your room and surprisingly involved appearance customization.
I'd argue that your character's customization is incredibly limited, actually.
Male or female, but both can basically have one single look and apply just minor variations to (haircut, beard, etc).

As far as character generators go, I'd rank this more or less at the bottom of the category.

EDIT - And as you'll have a chance to experience yourself, there isn't much variety in what type of hero you can play, either.
"The Hunter" is a fairly rigid character with only a limited range of options in terms of what powers to specialize on (no, light and dark side don't play significantly differently, either).

Yeah, I think giving the player character such a fixed and specific back story and powers was a big mistake. It never works.

Lemming42

Arcane
I actually liked the Hunter and didn't mind having a premade personality, the "ultra-formal vampire out of time" thing was mildly amusing and s/he's a lot less irritating than literally every single one of the companions. The female Hunter voice actor gives a really good performance as well.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Kind of agree, but it was written extremely inconsistently. Sometimes Hunter is completely oblivious to modern culture when it suits the joke, sometimes she knows everything about it due to some magical clairvoyance when she needs to. I agree that the hunter is less annoying than the other characters but they’re still poorly written.

The only character I actively liked was Illyana.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Kind of agree, but it was written extremely inconsistently. Sometimes Hunter is completely oblivious to modern culture when it suits the joke, sometimes she knows everything about it due to some magical clairvoyance when she needs to.
Anything else would have required way too much overhead to slap the game together as quickly as the suits wanted.
I actually liked the Hunter and didn't mind having a premade personality, the "ultra-formal vampire out of time" thing was mildly amusing and s/he's a lot less irritating than literally every single one of the companions. The female Hunter voice actor gives a really good performance as well.
Kinda true, but it's also because everyone else is super annoying.
Most of it just struck me as poor understanding of the market (and a suit making having an mtx vehicle a requirement), but the demon suit did strike me as fetishy.

In my playthrough I gave hunter demon horns because it was amusing to hear the endless whining of the characters about hunters possible demon corruption like that.
A lot of people compared it to the Persona series.
I would be very surprised if they didn't glance at Persona more than a few times during development. Character driven rpg with significant focus on "hanging out" with companions to unlock upgrades. It's not entirely stupid I guess, persona seems to sell incredibly well and has no(?) competitors. If the game had released a few years earlier it might even have worked, but by the time it released everyone was really sick of marvel/superheroes.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Most of it just struck me as poor understanding of the market (and a suit making having an mtx vehicle a requirement), but the demon suit did strike me as fetishy.
The first superhero costume you get after fighting Venom is so tight fitting it's basically skin + it accentuates the abs and especially the butt. I struggle to imagine how it could get more fetishistic than this. On top of everything, you get to see everyone in their underwear while you play dress-up. This is someone's Marvel magical realm.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I played a bit more of this and I get why it failed to garner a mainstream audience. The combat is too think-y if you want to do well and get high scores or even just finish a mission on the hardest difficulty. The other part of the game, the friendship simulator, is executed strangely. Ok, let's say for example you do want to buddy up with these people, great, but as a mainstream fan of Marvel you don't know most of them. Who the fuck are Nico Minoru, Magik, Robbie Reyes, Blade? None of them have been in any mainstream Marvel movies or any movie at all. Blade hasn't appeared in a movie since 2004. These 4 are the ones who interact with you the most in the beginning. You also deal with the Caretaker's dead lesbian lover that is supposed to be super close to Hunter, but we don't know any of this. The game doesn't put its most appropriate foot forward is what I'm trying to say and I'm sure people just zoned out after a few missions.

Having said that, I like Iliyana (Magik) the most at this point. If we are going to dive into a friendship simulator, you can be sure I'll dive balls deep and you'll know about it (and it's Grunker's fault).

sser

Arcane
Developer
I've not played the game yet (but do have it in the wings); as someone who likes card games, dumb cape shit, and is a fan of Solomon's work, I think I'm a pretty good audience for it yet I never bought it (now have it via humble bundle tho). I think taking highly mobile action heroes and forcing them to fight in phonebooth-sized arenas is the crux of the issue more than anything. You can see it strains believability (disbelief already being suspended) when you have guys like Spider-Man or Captain Marvel just kinda chilling on the ground, when the entire aesthetic of these characters is their wide-ranging mobility and power. Perhaps the game would've worked better with a more normalized cast involved, those "low-tier" Punisher/Daredevil archetypes that beat up alley thugs and what not. After playing a few 'smaller' phonebooth type card games like Fights in Tight Spaces, I think this actually could have worked quite well.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I've not played the game yet (but do have it in the wings); as someone who likes card games, dumb cape shit, and is a fan of Solomon's work, I think I'm a pretty good audience for it yet I never bought it (now have it via humble bundle tho). I think taking highly mobile action heroes and forcing them to fight in phonebooth-sized arenas is the crux of the issue more than anything. You can see it strains believability (disbelief already being suspended) when you have guys like Spider-Man or Captain Marvel just kinda chilling on the ground, when the entire aesthetic of these characters is their wide-ranging mobility and power. Perhaps the game would've worked better with a more normalized cast involved, those "low-tier" Punisher/Daredevil archetypes that beat up alley thugs and what not. After playing a few 'smaller' phonebooth type card games like Fights in Tight Spaces, I think this actually could have worked quite well.
The fights are the best part of the game, the deck building is surprisingly fun, if simple, and I found myself doing a lot of side mission grinding because of the combat.

The rest tho, so so bad. The central hub, the social network, the friendship building, the collecting resources, its juvenile shit and ruins the rest of the game.

J1M

Arcane
This bloat is the result of building very important female-centric and microtransaction-centric features.

J1M

Arcane
Yes, but it's fine because none of the females have cleavage.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yes, but it's fine because none of the females have cleavage.
The women are all as sexless as possible, but the guys (except Doctor Strange and maybe Tony Stark) are all muscled hunks with suits so tight it's a wonder they don't suffocate in them. Hunter's outfit is one (1) bad posture away from ripping from butt to neck collar. Oh, right, he also has a neck collar.

J1M

Arcane
No. The game makes you play as D-tier characters initially and it is a relief when Peter Parker gets added to the crew. The successful characters are archetypes.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Theoretically, only Nico Minoru is a D- (more like Z-)list character. Magik has had 4 comic runs and is Colossus' sister (+ she appeared in a recent movie), Robbie Reyes is Ghost Rider (not the most known one, but he's him), Captain Marvel had her own movie recently (a bad one, even by Marvel standards, but hey), Doctor Strange and Iron Man are two of the most popular Marvel characters. Blade is a bit of a weird case. He was very popular 20ish years ago but I have no idea what has been happening with him in the comics lately. Even then, he has 3 whole movies. However, you wouldn't know most of these people if you are a casual Marvel fan who has only seen the contemporary movies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom