Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mass Effect 2 is the future of the RPG

random_encounter said:
The manual had even tried to make reading such dry information entertaining by staying within Arcanum's character which is far more than can be said for most anything that passes itself off a a manual nowadays.

Though it's a shooter, the Modern Warfares manuals have like 5 pages in black and white that just repeat what the in-game tutorial says.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Lesifoere said:
For every action, there's onscreen text to instruct you, I guess in case you forget the controls. ("Press Space to glide.") Hit the map and you've got the equivalent of quest compass, just missing a join-the-dot path to lead you from your current position to the objective.

Not that it was a bad game, but that's as close to in-game walkthrough as you get. Oh, Bioshock had something like this too, didn't it?

The control instructions are not a problem. Constantly reminding you is a bit obnoxious but I kind of zoned that out. I don't mind games just telling me how to play as I go along. I mean why not? Works as well as a tutorial zone.

The quest markers yeah. Though were they really that specific? Getting pointed to the right building in the world map is irrelevant since you know what building to go to anyway. It's too easy, linear a game to really need much help.

I would hope.

Maybe console gamers nowadays are more retarded than I thought.

And yeah, it's a fun game.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Amnesiac kid in a sleepy town is having a great day until (insert tyrannical villain/empire) invades and destroys everyone he thinks he loves, leaving only his scrappy friend/love interest behind. They leave on a quest to find out why such an atrocity was committed, along the way recruiting a characters who all fit the bill of patrons at a D&D tavern
What game is he talking about?

P3. A boy goes through the down into dormitory where he meets a girl which aims gun at him, then she is stopped at last moment by another girl. They are trying to downplay this by claiming they played a game. Yes and there are also these coffins. And that scary part about taking responsibility for his actions. (That's genuinely scary.)

World eaters. A boy and a girl were brainwashed into fighting some world eaters in a terrorist enclave hidden far away from current government. Then they were send to fight an enemy which could result in only one way: stomp. How they survived is completely unknown. (Thought if they can defeat the opponent at the first try, the story would be completely different.) You know choices and consequences.

FFXII It starts: "A princes committed suicide shortly after..." Also all these BDSM moments when they wan't to execute the princess for pretending to be a princes. (Because a villain can't risk her be around and causing problems, It continues by explosion of the most powerful ship in the empire fleet...)
(Yea Viera, Balthier. Learn something about character design Bioware.)

These are three randomly chosen Japanese RPGs from last few years (that works on PC), neither of these can fit the bill. Did his brain melt?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Brother None said:
The quest markers yeah. Though were they really that specific? Getting pointed to the right building in the world map is irrelevant since you know what building to go to anyway. It's too easy, linear a game to really need much help.

Pinpoints specific locations once you enter a building.

Raapys

Arcane
Articles like these are pretty much proof that Idiocracy is happening.

Cassidy

Arcane
Raapys said:
Articles like these are pretty much proof that Idiocracy is happening.

Don't worry, after ITZ, only the smartest, strongest and fastest will survive.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Martin said:
These new gen RPG gamers dont need a mental stat upgrade, they just need the rose colored nostalgic view feat.

You tell 'em mang, those old farts - older games weren't better and varied in everything and didn't have other genres but console shooter it's just nostalgy
But ME2 is RPG 2.0

Pliskin

Arbiter
Begriffenfeldt said:
He's probably right. RPGs of the future will cater to peas-for-brains' like him who see dumbing down as evolution. Not unlike most RPGs of the now, really.

The trend seems to be that video games will go more for the entertainment value --- i.e; catering to the "Casual Gamer" we keep reading so much about --- and less the intellectual stimulus we've become accustomed to. Consoles main-streamed the gaming market, and the main-stream doesn't like having to use it's brain. It just want's to be entertained.

I wonder if this sort of debate raged when movies / TV overcame books as the main form of popular entertainment?

I can't wait until they develop the direct neural-computer interface. That'll be the end of humanity, right there.

Rhalle

Magister
Mass Effect 2 is the future of the RPG in the same way that the Republican Party was 'once really the Democratic Party'.

The article is right: Second-rate shooter with Hollywood cinematics, a soap-opera plot and Choose Your Own Adventure c&c is the future of 'RPGs': Larping with CGI gun or swordplay; adolescent power, violence and sexual fantasies with variously flavored glosses married to ball-less language games.

Noceur

Liturgist
I'd rather see some shooters being more like Mass Effect 2... but with "better shooting", if that makes sense.

So, by taking the article to its logical conclusion: Far Cry is the future of CRPG's?

Isn't that the big upgrade of ME2? Less RPG mechanics, more shooting? Somebody let me know if I am incorrect.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I remember full ingame walkthrough in Yendorian Tales 2 and Yendorian Tales 3.

Cassidy

Arcane
Blackadder said:
So, by taking the article to its logical conclusion: Far Cry is the future of CRPG's?

Isn't that the big upgrade of ME2? Less RPG mechanics, more shooting? Somebody let me know if I am incorrect.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 420#436420

2015: RPG genre ceases to exist

And to think I posted that as a joke... the extinction of the last vestiges from real CRPGs could happen earlier than 2015 though.

Longshanks

Augur
^^It started with Deus Ex. And now that console gamers have a taste for it (shooters pretending to be RPGs), the death of the genre is just a matter of time.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Longshanks said:
^^It started with Deus Ex.

Really? I'm pretty sure a stack of FPS/RPGs predate Deus Ex, including Strife and System Shock 1/2.

Longshanks

Augur
^^Of course. Wasn't meaning to suggest it was the first. Though my memory is that Deus Ex was pushed as an RPG more than either SS (haven't heard of Strife), though that's not my point, nor did I really have much of one - it was just a line :wink:. Let's see if I can construct one... Deus Ex certainly gets the RPG label much more these days than any of those others. It seems to be the first Shooter masquerading as RPG that was picked up on and happily welcomed into the fold, by the "game playing community" at least. It's constantly mentioned amongst quality RPGs - those others, not so much.

Still, I don't actually believe games like ME2 derive from Deus Ex - if anything it seems closer to Bloodlines, given that dialogue and story has more prominence than in Deus Ex. Though the weak RPG elements, almost non-existant character creation, action combat, and the focus on mostly cosmetic decisions are common to both.

The increased acceptance of Deus Ex as an RPG is just indicative of the move away from the character and towards the player. The current game that epitomises this move is ME 2. It doesn't really take it further than Deus Ex, but is even more strongly identified as an RPG. So yeah, Deus Ex is just part of the whole elevation of player over character vibe that's taking over the genre and threatening its existence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom