Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Mass Effect Interview

suibhne

Erudite
The Walkin' Dude said:
VD, why arent you reviewing NWN 2?

Off topic, but I've had a bunch of setbacks with my new computer, including a hard drive failure that wiped out everything I'd written up to that point (and all of my recent NWN2 saves). It'll take some reconstruction and maybe a speck of optimism. :wink:

Texas Red

Whiner
suibhne said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
VD, why arent you reviewing NWN 2?

Off topic, but I've had a bunch of setbacks with my new computer, including a hard drive failure that wiped out everything I'd written up to that point (and all of my recent NWN2 saves). It'll take some reconstruction and maybe a speck of optimism. :wink:

You have to have some serious patience if you can force yourself to go through those dungeons again.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The first few responses to this interview at the Bioware forum are funnier than the actual finterview. You should read that, Volo."

I did about an hour ago. Some of the responses are beyond silly, and go to the EXTREME.

Fez

Erudite
Best interview ever. What will be even more interesting is when we look back after the game is released and compare it to the information here.

MountainWest

Scholar
The scary part is that Bioware feels it's necessary to tell people it's fake. Shouldn't that be obvious in a sane world? Oh, right...

"I'll need bodybags. Lots of them" Funny shit.

Shinan

Educated
I laughed my ass off reading the part where
a member of the human military that really is among the very best of the best and he's already proven himself, so you don't have to. We've already created a fantastic and extreme character for you, so forget about developing your character - just load the game and enjoy the ride.
So much in fact that I had to paste it all over. It was only a couple of paragraphs later that I realized it wasn't real but it's still hilarious. I love you so much. All of you. In the most homoerotic way you can imagine.

:D

iRC log, comments on it:
<TREG> man I WISH that game wasn't fake
<Lars> the game isn't fake at all
<TREG> because I would so play a game like that
<Lars> but the screens and interview is
<TREG> right lars
<TREG> I wish that game was like the interview
<Lars> yeah
<TREG> because that game would be incredible
<Lars> me too
<TREG> 'Shepard, the aliens are attacking!' 'FUCK YOU, IT'S COMMANDER SHEPARD!'

Fez

Erudite
Prove it by PMing him pictures of your homoerotic love. He will be really pleased by that.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Awesome. This game sounds EXTREME. Definitely picking it up.

aries202

Erudite
Evil Chris Priestly said:
Hi there folks. BioWare's Evil Chris Priestly here.

Just stopping in to make sure that everyone understands that THIS IS A FAKE INTERVIEW. It is some sort of parody or joke, but it was not given by Casey Hudson, the screenshots are photoshopped and I want to make it known that it is understood that this is a fake.

I'm not sure why the good folks here at RPG Codex posted it without some sort of disclaimer or indication that it was a fake, parody or whatever and that was not actually conducted with Casey or made with BioWare's approval, so I'm just making sure you all understand that this is a joke and not the real thing.

The screenshots are real, but have been photoshopped to try to increase the humor of the piece.

If you want to learn more about Mass Effect, please visit us at http://masseffect.bioware.com/

Thanks all.

:evil:

Dear Chris Priestly

I think almost all of the codex members realize that the interview with Casey Hudson is FAKE. The codexers being able to read between the lines as well as being able to gather from the screenshots that the interviw is a parody...

Most codex members seem to be (very) intelligent ;) --- they are surely able to recognoze FAKE interview when the see one.

However, having read several of the real interviews which Casey has given...

well, they might as well be --- shall we say --- very close to the FAKE codes interview.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/gameb ... 84682.html

Buck Satan said:
For the record, this interview and the accompanying images are 100% fake and have been debunked by BioWare. It's just a sad display of attention seeking, which I should have realized when I posted it...
The point is, you didn't, Buck. You were 100% certain it's the real deal, which was the reason for this exercise. :wink:

Vault Dweller said:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/gamebanshee-news-73/mass-effect-interview-84682.html

Buck Satan said:
For the record, this interview and the accompanying images are 100% fake and have been debunked by BioWare. It's just a sad display of attention seeking, which I should have realized when I posted it...
The point is, you didn't, Buck. You were 100% certain it's the real deal, which was the reason for this exercise. :wink:

Christ, check out this idiot from that thread:

Come to think of it, I didn't pay attention about the authenticity of the article until Buck mentioned it just now. Then, I double checked both the article and the screenshots posted there. As for the screenshots, I noticed something odd such as the font of the words in the dialogue options looked very different from what I've seen in most of the demonstration videos of Mass Effect. Not to mention that it's very long compared to what I've seen in those videos.

You cannot script such stupidty. The main character has dialogue options to bash the face of woman with his rifle, murder refugees and stuff them in body bags, activate EXTREME modes with a press of a button, massive lens flares, and its the FONT of the text that makes you scratch your head believing something's amiss? I mean are you fucking kidding me, or what?

And he noticed tha the text is too long. The screenshots were too verbose!

Nice job by the Bioware PR department. If anything, you should be praising the 'Fake But Accurate' Codex Interview, it actually managed to make your game seem more complex to fans.

Fez

Erudite
Solid gold. Again, this only shows how close to reality it was. The reasons for Sherlock spotting the fake are quite sad in a way.

I'm curious to see the discretion (or lack thereof) given in their next interview after this minor hubbub. Will they continue to go overboard with the buzzwords, or did they realize how ridiculous they sound (thanks to the fake interview) and change course?

The_Pope

Scholar
I'm starting to want EXTREME dialogue options in AoD. If someone is trying to give me a quest I don't like, can I hit them with my shield and yell "ENOUGH TALKING, IT'S TIME TO GET EXTREME"?

Greatatlantic

Erudite
so people,who spend their free time devising ways to deceive the average person just for the satisfaction of calling him or her an idiot, exist?

No, its more like idiots exist and are the average person, so we sit around figuring out ways to cope with the dumbing down of the genre. This includes funny interviews that should have been taken seriously but due to the rediculous nature in which games are advertised its all to close to reality.

Jed

Cipher
Greatatlantic said:
so people,who spend their free time devising ways to deceive the average person just for the satisfaction of calling him or her an idiot, exist?

No, its more like idiots exist and are the average person, so we sit around figuring out ways to cope with the dumbing down of the genre. This includes funny interviews that should have been taken seriously but due to the rediculous nature in which games are advertised its all to close to reality.
Or: "I can't believe that people, like, spend time and energy criticizing wayward aspects of things they care about. I mean, couldn't just, like, kick back and watch some Survivor and drink a beer?"

That said, I can't imagine it took VD more than an hour or two cutting and pasting Casey's quotes and then adding a flourish here and there for dramatic effect.

Jason

chasing a bee
Looks like the Jack Bauer stuff comes from higher up than Casey. Here's a recent interview with Ray Muzyka.
So what's the tale of "Mass Effect"? He describes it as "Jack Bauer in space," a reference to "24" and its morally gray hero. "You have complex moral choices to make," he said about the game. "You're out to save the galaxy. You're going to have to do things that don't seem like they're good to do that."

killthemcopylc8.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom