Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

J1M

Arcane
I sincerely do not understand how anyone could consider ME1 the best game in the series. Well, it is without doubt the best in terms of atmosphere. But at the same time it is a bad RPG with an impotent skill system. It is a bad exploration game with copy-paste planets. And it is a bad TPS game with uninteresting and repetitive enemies.

ME2 stopped pretending to be a role-playing game and completely ditched all exploration, but at least it became a decent (not great, but decent!) TPS game. Gameplay-wise, I prefer any consequent ME game -- even ME:A -- to ME1.
The codex entries, of course.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I continue to think that the only option that makes sense is to do a trilogy of the first contact war. Start with humanity's start of the exploration of the stars, contacting the first alien races and then how that shit went down.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I continue to think that the only option that makes sense is to do a trilogy of the first contact war. Start with humanity's start of the exploration of the stars, contacting the first alien races and then how that shit went down.

Prequels suck because we all know how its going to end. And since we know the outcome of the main conflict we can only be invested in the outcomes of the individual characters. And do you think biowhore is capable of writing good compelling characters these days?

Best bet would be having the character be a mercenary/freelancer type operating outside any government agency. Could be any race to start and still bring in npcs for all the races like the original games. Romping though galactic backwaters looking for tech/money/bitches and shooting people in the face with your shotgun. I'd play that.

Not going to happen of course because bioware only does EPIC™.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think any of the Mass Effects are good games in the gameplay sense. At most, I'd say they are better than the sum of their parts. It's been a loooong time since I've played them last, but I can't really remember anything all that interesting in any of them. They kinda feel exploitation-y in a way, as in exploitation films. The monogendered species comprised entirely of women, the harem-style romances, aliens who look like old Star Trek costumes, pew pew lazors, terminator robots, tentacle monsters, etc.

J1M

Arcane
I don't think any of the Mass Effects are good games in the gameplay sense. At most, I'd say they are better than the sum of their parts. It's been a loooong time since I've played them last, but I can't really remember anything all that interesting in any of them. They kinda feel exploitation-y in a way, as in exploitation films. The monogendered species comprised entirely of women, the harem-style romances, aliens who look like old Star Trek costumes, pew pew lazors, terminator robots, tentacle monsters, etc.
Maybe you should work on the next game. You seem to have identified why it was fun.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
The crewmates are going to die, but who cares. Mordin can take over Dr. Chakwas's duties and EDI can do everyone else's jobs.
You know, the atmosphere on the Normandy would've been better if there were no crewmates to begin with and the only people on it were the squadmates and Joker. Farscape style.

Vatnik Wumao
The crewmates are going to die, but who cares. Mordin can take over Dr. Chakwas's duties and EDI can do everyone else's jobs.
You know, the atmosphere on the Normandy would've been better if there were no crewmates to begin with and the only people on it were the squadmates and Joker. Farscape style.
I guess that the point of the crewmates was also to serve as a reminder that this was a Cerberus-led project rather than just being funded by them.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I guess that the point of the crewmates was also to serve as a reminder that this was a Cerberus-led project rather than just being funded by them.
Miranda, EDI and Jacob all make that clear by themselves though. Especially Miranda.

I told myself I would never replay the ME trilogy unless I can kill or at least screw really badly all squad mates and since some of them are unkillable/unscrewable (not in that sense) like Liara, that prothean dlc guy or that beefy mcgeneric soldier from ME3, I basically shielded myself from ever playing these again. Good work, past me.

I sincerely do not understand how anyone could consider ME1 the best game in the series. Well, it is without doubt the best in terms of atmosphere. But at the same time it is a bad RPG with an impotent skill system. It is a bad exploration game with copy-paste planets. And it is a bad TPS game with uninteresting and repetitive enemies.

ME2 stopped pretending to be a role-playing game and completely ditched all exploration, but at least it became a decent (not great, but decent!) TPS game. Gameplay-wise, I prefer any consequent ME game -- even ME:A -- to ME1.

Yeah, and ME2 sucked because of it. I'm not saying the exploration was good in Mass Effect, but it was a huge mistake to abandon that aspect of the game as opposed to improve it into a workable state. There inability to have that be good the first go around quite frankly was completely bizarre given how plentiful open world sandbox games were the generation before Mass Effect...which also just makes it weird they seemingly couldn't think of a way to get that aspect to work.

ME2 is also a pretty bad third person shooter, and somehow BioWare never got good when it came to stage layouts for their shooting sections. As far as options for new first and third person shooters went around that time, Mass Effect 2 was on the bottom rung. There was some novelty to having psychic powers, but then this aspect was done far better in games like Psi-Ops The Mindgate Conspiracy, and the Jedi Outcast and Academy games.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Why not just canonise the destruction ending and pick up as the galaxy is starting to get reconnected 200 years later when the mass effect relays have been rebuilt (or something)

There can be unifications wars, exploring how worlds did when they were cut off from the interstellar community and you could pick up the dark matter story line from ME2.

Alternatively, If you want to be really edgy you could canonise the indoctrination ending and make ME4: The real ending.

Caim

Arcane
Why not just canonise the destruction ending and pick up as the galaxy is starting to get reconnected 200 years later when the mass effect relays have been rebuilt (or something)

There can be unifications wars, exploring how worlds did when they were cut off from the interstellar community and you could pick up the dark matter story line from ME2.

Alternatively, If you want to be really edgy you could canonise the indoctrination ending and make ME4: The real ending.
The edgiest thing that they could do is that one of your party members being Liara's daughter. If you romanced her back in ME3 right before the final fight she'll do the whole psychic sex thing with Shepard, without waiting for Shepard's consent or even informing the commander about the surprise sex. Now, as it turns out this was "unsafe" sex and it got Liara pregnant with Shepard's kid, making your new companion in ME4 Liara's rape baby.

With them announcing a new Mass Effect game alongside side this, (and funnily enough with top talent or however they worded to it reassure people another Andromeda won't happen) I wouldn't be surprised if they used this to completely change the endings, and to go into whatever the next game is. I mean, I figured they'd do that anyways since the original ending is generally unliked half-assed shit, but that announcement alongside it makes it seem almost like the reason they're doing this. Remake the original games people liked to get people back on board with the series, and fix the ending even the people that made the game didn't seem to care about to better go whichever way you're going with the next game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Best atmosphere is a massive factor considering there's not much reason to play the series outside of that.

Vatnik Wumao

Best atmosphere is a massive factor considering there's not much reason to play the series outside of that.
ME1 is better as a narrative-driven game, while ME2 is better as a character-driven game (ignoring the superfluous Collector plot which serves no purpose in light of ME3's narrative).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
ME1 is better as a narrative-driven game, while ME2 is better as a character-driven game (ignoring the superfluous Collector plot which serves no purpose in light of ME3's narrative).

I could see that, though Bioware stories are never more than "okay" for me really. The only reason I enjoyed the games is because I'm a sci-fi nut and loved the atmosphere and imagery. ME1 is the best at both, and even though the planets are barren nothings it gave me that feeling of going down to an alien world and looking for space pirates or whatever, with great music and vistas. The citadel had amazing music and cool bars and dirty mobsters and shit. Garrus was a badass space Dirty Harry. Those are the reasons I got something from the games, and ME1 did it best.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
"We're focusing on creating something truly for the fans"
They said the same thing for Andromeda.
Don't buy into this speculation game bullshit they're trying to play, they can fuck right off until they have something legitimate to show.

JDR13

Arcane
I didn't think Andromeda was completely bad. It was just really bloated with garbage quests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom