Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Padzi

Arbiter
20210206_164953.jpg

J1M

Arcane
They "stood by" the 3-color ending claiming "artistic integrity" too... before changing it.

The extended ending is an admission of failure and a passive-aggressive capitulation.

Bioware leadership stood by it, sure. As Weekes leaked to the PA forums, Walters and Hudson took it upon themselves to write the ending with no feedback allowed from the other writers.
Your line of thinking seems to be swerving all over the place, but I'll add this detail you omitted just so the observers to our conversation can see it.

At no point in the development of the Mass Effect Trilogy, which was conceived of as a trilogy from the beginning, was there a plan to make the ending a superficial choice between three different-colored Mass Relay explosions.

That wasn't the plan when they started working on the first game, and it wasn't the plan when they started working on Mass Effect 3. The ending that they shipped and then cited "artistic integrity" to defend was a rush-job to solve a production deadline problem they created for themselves by working on the game from start to finish.

We may never have public details of the real vision for the trilogy's ending, but we know that they didn't care to try and restore it, even as a profitable venture to help them market their next game. Which makes any appeal to artistic integrity even more disingenuous.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not just Miranda's ass that's been judged sinful, it's also FemShep's and others. It's not one camera angle, it's not one ass, it's a systematic removal of the so-called male gaze. As if changing where the camera points changes how we think or our natural instincts.
#NotJustOneAss

wyes gull

Savant
Still can't believe we're getting a 2nd helping of this. It's like a blast to a past when all "g4m3r$" had to worry about was being accused of being entitled. When was that, 3 days ago? Prime remake material, this. Which reminds me-

Good times.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
alpha move asserting their dominance

This kind of prima donna attitude only works if you have the talent to pull it off, and no one at Bioware ever did.

it's also FemShep's and others

With FemSherp they're addressing the laziness of having given her maleshep's animations.

At no point in the development of the Mass Effect Trilogy, which was conceived of as a trilogy from the beginning, was there a plan to make the ending a superficial choice between three different-colored Mass Relay explosions.

It was conceived of as a trilogy from the beginning, but they had no overall plan beyond vague ideas. They were making it up as they went along. ME2's story being what it was is proof enough of that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The trilogy is a mess narrative-wise, I thought that was perfectly clear. The first one starts out promising, but the second already shit the bed and ME3 was left trudging along. I liked the structure of 2, but it didn't make sense as a second part of this particular trilogy imo. I dare say the final product doesn't have enough story for a trilogy and it feels stretched out and meandering.

Codex Year of the Donut
You can completely remove 2 and the overall story stays exactly the same. The only thing you need to keep is the final DLC for 2.
I have no idea why ME2 is so loved. It has the worst parts of both ME1 and ME3 with the most minigame bullshit and consolization, while simultaneously not adding anything to the story.

Lacrymas

Arcane
People like it because it has a focus on characters, and that's what Bioware are known/loved for. It has terrible gameplay and no place in the trilogy story-wise, but it has the most characters and that's what keeps people engaged.

Codex Year of the Donut
People like it because it has a focus on characters, and that's what Bioware are known/loved for. It has terrible gameplay and no place in the trilogy story-wise, but it has the most characters and that's what keeps people engaged.
ME3 beats it in that department, especially with citadel.

Vatnik Wumao
ME2 is the worst, both story and gameplay wise.
Plotwise, yeah. Yet in terms of companion interactions and side content, nah.

As for Citadel, while it was a sweet sendoff for the series, it could only have succeeded in the storyfag department due to its reliance on those characters which ME2 had managed to endear to the player.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
All three games are great in their own way, with the exception of the ending of the 3rd one.

On the whole, Mass Effect series provided something we don't have, a space opera with great characters, enemies, and set pieces. The only game that tried something similar was advent rising, which regretfully never got a sequel.

ekrolo2

Learned
I'd say 2s most laudable element was its presentation, in terms of the way cutscenes are directed, it resoundingly shits on 1 and 3. Hell, one of the reasons 3 looks so bland, like an MCU movie in video game form, is because of how much better 2 was done.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Heh Josh in the Quartering, new level of fame nice.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Josh would fall and have to abandon twitter by trying to side with general type of crowd who made MCA abandon his?

J1M

Arcane
You can completely remove 2 and the overall story stays exactly the same. The only thing you need to keep is the final DLC for 2.
I have no idea why ME2 is so loved. It has the worst parts of both ME1 and ME3 with the most minigame bullshit and consolization, while simultaneously not adding anything to the story.
The mission structure makes it comfortable for people to play. Knowing that in an hour you can go on an away mission, make a mildly impactful decision, and then return to the ship to some unlocked NPC dialog is a gameplay loop people enjoy. (Ironically, it's also an easier structure to develop for.) The game has clear points where it makes sense to save and take a break without coming back and feeling lost. The general public feels this, but are not great at articulating it.

In ME3 or other more recent games some missions turn into sprawling adventures that drag things down and others turn into 20 minute cutscenes with no real indication of how long something might take before you start it. ME2 clearly telegraphs when something might break the comfort of that gameplay loop.

Semiurge

Cipher
and then return to the ship to some unlocked NPC sexual encounter

ftfy

No wait, the romances were actually independent of loyalty missions, weren't they. A bit less predictable than the old "The sooner you get it done the sooner I can put my mind at ease, if you know what I mean".

Semiurge

Cipher
882.png

Women ruin every hobby they touch. The lack of gatekeeping has caused this.

Stop posting that image, it's pure false equivalency. Enforcing the importance of female sex appeal is rightfully considered harmful to those who wish to not be reduced to the role of prime brood mares (it might still happen regardless), whereas brawn is actually empowering, but unsexual (except to muscle groupies). Beauty can be powerful, but it's always power that is given by the eye of the beholder. Physical strength is power that is not given, and thus it doesn't diminish the muscleperson's agency.

If you want to resist historical rewriting, don't give the opposition more ammunition.

Shifting the online discourse to Miranda's ass is a 10/10 PR stunt from Bioware. That's how they get 90% of people to argue about it instead of talking about how they stole a bunch of existing mods, presented them as their own work and are now selling that repackaged shit with virtually no other changes for 60 whole Kwanbux.

Well done, BioWhore, your game dev teams may not be worth the oxygen they're breathing anymore, but your corporate strategists/PR people are top-notch. :salute:

e9x6chldgiyiut1jhb8x.jpg

Last edited:

wyes gull

Savant
I have no idea why ME2 is so loved.
4 reasons aside from the ones already mentioned. 1) It was released on Win/Xbox/PS3 within 1 year whereas the original got released on Win/Xbox alone and only on PS3 a whole 5 years later; 2) It was flogged as a RPG when the stigma had started to die down compared to its predecessor (whether it/they is/are is another matter entirely); 3) Most of the "complicated" bits were streamlined or removed outright so it was made simpler for console peasants; 4) It was published by EA after the Bioware acquisition was completed and had a massive publicity push, which of course includes influencing journo tards like the one I posted last page.

TL;DR- It was a cool "new" 9.5 multiplat "experience" for consoletards that got shilled to high heaven.

It is positively ridiculous how well it was received compared to how much flak 3 caught for the writing, when the writing went completely out the fucking window at the start of 2, probably around the time Karpyshyn was dumped and replaced with that imbecile Mac Walters.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom