Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think it's less feminist agenda, and more just writers being taken with their own creation and wanting to give her a 'hero moment' (at the cost of player agency) so everyone else would see how very cool she was. You definitely run into that from time to time with RPGs (and a lot in JRPGs, imo), where suddenly everything is more about some random NPC or character the writer fell in love with than it is the player and the actual narrative. Feels like the onus is on the director to sniff out those moments and prune them, but pet characters are definitely a problem in pretty much any brand of fiction (albeit admittedly more of one in games, where again... player agency should matter).

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think it's less feminist agenda, and more just writers being taken with their own creation and wanting to give her a 'hero moment' (at the cost of player agency) so everyone else would see how very cool she was.

Yeah, the more I think about it, they went reaaaally hard into this with the "Illusive Man". He's got total control over you and you're supposed to just like it. Because... he's so cool! We paid money for this famous guy so you're in awe! Martin Sheen is actually in a game, so you have to be drooling in complete reverence!

Aria is that kind of annoying but only about 20% as bad.

Maxie

takes some pretty strong medication for a mind to remember any of ass effect's plotpoints, let alone proper names lol

J1M

Arcane
I also want to add that Omega DLC is the biggest garbage. It was horrible.
The cost was too high, but at least it gives you a biotic power that works on shielded enemies.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Aria was supposed to be likeable and cool?

If you've got another take, please share it. But she seemed to me like so much in ME2 to just be trying way too hard to be bad and edgy.
I honestly never thought about it, but now that people are pointing it out I'm sure someone in the writing team was in love with her. Why else would she receive a DLC dedicated to her? I didn't think much of it when I was a teen, but it makes sense now. Interesting. She's not likeable or cool, though.

Caim

Arcane
I also want to add that Omega DLC is the biggest garbage. It was horrible.
Omega really doubles down on the third person shooting of Mass Effect 3. Too bad that Mass Effect 3's combat is not that good.

Padzi

Arbiter

If you've got another take, please share it. But she seemed to me like so much in ME2 to just be trying way too hard to be bad and edgy.
I honestly never thought about it, but now that people are pointing it out I'm sure someone in the writing team was in love with her. Why else would she receive a DLC dedicated to her? I didn't think much of it when I was a teen, but it makes sense now. Interesting. She's not likeable or cool, though.

Aria was written by Mac Walters and she's his favourite character.
At first, the Omega DLC was supposed to be played as Aria but someone at BioWare said "no".
And that's why we can play as Shepuurdddddd.

Tytus

Arcane

At first, the Omega DLC was supposed to be played as Aria but someone at BioWare said "no".

He also wrote The Illusive Man. And both of them TIM and Aria have a bad case of creator's pet.
It's a really glaring issue, especially in ME3 where Cerberus dominates the narrative when it shouldn't have. And Aria gets her own pointless DLC.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

He also wrote The Illusive Man. And both of them TIM and Aria have a bad case of creator's pet.
It's a really glaring issue, especially in ME3 where Cerberus dominates the narrative when it shouldn't have. And Aria gets her own pointless DLC.

Whatever. These characters have nothing on Kai Leng. God that guy sucks.

racofer

Thread Incliner
There are two butt-restoration mods. The mod linked above contains a surprise, but more closely replicates the angle. The other doesn't include a surprise but it just lowers the camera during that scene.
:troll:

So there's no reason to play LE, if you have the originals. Good to know and fine by me.

There are also the issues reported here and here regarding aliasing issues in the Legendary Editions. Apparently the darker lighting in the LE is due to the use of HDR, but the aliasing is still very noticeable regardless and apparently unfixable unless BiowarEA adds something like TAA.

ME2 Legendary Edition
BZ8STBr.png

ME2 modded:
rdIF2sg.jpg

ME2 Legendary Edition
XMjUTeT.png

ME2 modded:
pD19tOQ.jpg

ME1 Legendary Edition
05qjRTe.png

ME3 Legendary Edition
HTVJ5z1.png

ME2 Legendary Edition
BMRYtKJ.png

The screenshots won't show it, but those jagged lines flicker constantly while moving around. Aliasing issues with the original games are easily fixable using driver settings, but these do not work with the Legendary Editions since these now use DX11. Combine this with the terrible lighting in ME1 LE and it's getting harder to recommend LE over the originals, despite the gameplay improvements in ME1.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

When one wears their fetishes on their sleeve.

Who's your favorite Mass Effect character? Let say, one male and one female?
Female is Aria for sure. Love that she's such a badass, but still manages to bring order to chaos.

Yes, Aria was one of my all- time favourite characters to imagine and write.

"Imagine" I bet.

Semiurge

Cipher
"Don't FUCK with ARIA!"

Are you guys really going to take that "I'm a woman, hear me roar" kind of shit from her without a clever retort?

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
The screenshots won't show it, but those jagged lines flicker constantly while moving around. Aliasing issues with the original games are easily fixable using driver settings, but these do not work with the Legendary Editions since these now use DX11. Combine this with the terrible lighting in ME1 LE and it's getting harder to recommend LE over the originals, despite the gameplay improvements in ME1.

I played at 4K and enabled DSR x4. No more jaggies and the games are so old they still run great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom