Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Arent reapers just a ripoff of shivans from freespace? Bioturds never had any creativity same thing as faggot age ripping of the glitcher. Bioturds rippoffs are watered down and much worse than original ideas.
Inhibitors from Revelation Space packed into a form of Lovecraftian tentacle horror

Grimlorn

Arcane
He was meant to be a joke, a mockery of Alpha type men which is why all the missions he was on failed or went to shit and why if you chose him to lead your team in the suicide mission he would end up getting your squad killed because apparently he doesn't know how to use suppressing fire to cover people.

Grimlorn

Arcane
which is why all the missions he was on failed or went to shit
Or rather these sorts of missions are the ones with a tale worth telling. If he was inept at his mercenary job, he would've been dead long ago.
Normally I'd agree, which is why I used him during the suicide mission several times, but he gets someone in you squad killed every time if you have him lead a team and it took me having to look this up to figure it out because it never crossed my mind that he was not the best man to lead the second team. Apparently this was done intentionally by the devs.

Vatnik Wumao
which is why all the missions he was on failed or went to shit
Or rather these sorts of missions are the ones with a tale worth telling. If he was inept at his mercenary job, he would've been dead long ago.
Normally I'd agree, which is why I used him during the suicide mission several times, but he gets someone in you squad killed every time if you have him lead a team and it took me having to look this up to figure it out because it never crossed my mind that he was not the best man to lead the second team.
Meh, I'd blame it on poor story and gameplay integration. That said, even the suicide mission acknowledges Zaeed's mettle.

When you leave behind the distraction team so Shepard can face down the final boss of Mass Effect 2, the game uses a pretty simple but invisible mathematical equation to figure out the overall skill of the squad you left behind.

Each character in the game is assigned a value of how useful they are to the defensive effort. An average of those values is calculated, and this average defender score value determines how many characters die in that final stand.

The top tier of defenders is occupied by Garrus, Grunt, and Zaeed.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
He was meant to be a joke, a mockery of Alpha type men which is why all the missions he was on failed or went to shit and why if you chose him to lead your team in the suicide mission he would end up getting your squad killed because apparently he doesn't know how to use suppressing fire to cover people.
That's old action movie cliche - failed mercenary/agent.

Remember Double Team with Van Damme?

Codex Year of the Donut
It's heavily implied he works best by himself, he's not a leader. He's one of the best people to leave behind to defend against the collectors along with Grunt.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
One thing about the combat in ME1 is it's so easy. I'm in on insanity and every fight is so easy except for the rare times I get one shot. I'm an adept and I've been bringing Liara every enemy is just constantly ragdolled. Any enemy who pops immunity, you just hit them with warp. The changes to biotics were very necessary.

Codex Year of the Donut
One thing about the combat in ME1 is it's so easy. I'm in on insanity and every fight is so easy except for the rare times I get one shot. I'm an adept and I've been bringing Liara every enemy is just constantly ragdolled. Any enemy who pops immunity, you just hit them with warp. The changes to biotics were very necessary.
biotics are op as shit in ME1, combat without them on insanity is very slow though
especially the last mission

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
It's heavily implied he works best by himself, he's not a leader. He's one of the best people to leave behind to defend against the collectors along with Grunt.

There's only a couple squadmates who work as leaders if I recall: Miranda, Garrus and one other maybe? Zaeed is a fighter, not a leader.

Playing ME1 they make Kaiden and Ashley so dull. Ashley just got got done telling me some extremely boring story about her sister beating up her jerky BF. The only interesting thing about either is Ashley's well reasoned distrust of aliens. Zaeed is the only cool human character they made.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Hot take I actually kind of like Udina in ME1, I feel like he's a strong fighter for humanity and represents their interests pretty well. I hate what they did to his character in ME3, but they ruined a lot of things.

I agree with the previous poster who said renegade should be about forcing aliens to do what you want and paragon trying to get everyone to work together. In ME1 Liara says other species view humans like they're a bully. I hate how it forces you down the paragon route by ME3 or everything gets fucked up (another reason I hate ME3.) The way they wrote ME3 humans were in a position of weakness with Earth getting railed and Shepard was pleading with other races to help, so it would have to be written different where humanity was in a strong enough position to bully other races.

Would have loved some scenarios where renegade was better.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I actually kind of like Udina in ME1, I feel like he's a strong fighter for humanity and represents their interests pretty well.

Yeah, I got the impression that he was doing a bunch of stuff behind the scenes that nobody in the military would know about. So Shepherd and Udina are both doing important work but they're annoyed because the other guy doesn't understand. But by ME3 it's just capeshit morality where if we disagreed with Udina in the past, that means he must be evil now.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
They already ruined Udina in ME2. If he became the Councilor he's now a dick to Shepard for no reason.

Caim

Arcane
The conversation you had with him at the start of Mass Effect 3 was a pretty strong one. Udina bitterly laments that after the destruction of the human parliament he now holds more political power over the human species than anyone else in recorded history, the very first to have power over every single human in existence... and he can't do shit with this power against the threat humanity faces. It was a very powerful moment...

...and then Udina went lolevil and sided with Cerberus.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
I actually kind of like Udina in ME1, I feel like he's a strong fighter for humanity and represents their interests pretty well.

Yeah, I got the impression that he was doing a bunch of stuff behind the scenes that nobody in the military would know about. So Shepherd and Udina are both doing important work but they're annoyed because the other guy doesn't understand. But by ME3 it's just capeshit morality where if we disagreed with Udina in the past, that means he must be evil now.

Yeah it makes sense Shepard doesn't really like him because he's a military man, he doesn't want to deal with politics. Udina might be kind of annoying when you interact with him but when you deal with the council he does a good job fighting for humanity and Shepard. Then by 3 bioware said, well a lot of the retards who play our game don't like Udina so let's just make him evil. We'll tie it into the terrible storyline where Ash/Kaiden don't trust Shepard even though he's saved the galaxy and their own life multiple times. ME3 has such shit writing, embarrassing.

ferratilis

Magister
Guys, this was added to EA Play on Steam. You can play it for 4 eurobucks, which is the cost of monthly subscription. A month has to be enough to complete all three games?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Guys, this was added to EA Play on Steam. You can play it for 4 eurobucks, which is the cost of monthly subscription. A month has to be enough to complete all three games?
depends on how much time you have to play each day.

judging by your avatar, it should be more than enough, yes. :M

especially if you stick to the main story in 1 and don't do most of the worthless non-companion side missions that barely get referenced afterward. I know a lot of people wasted hours on end driving around on planets in the Mako during the fetch quests.

Tytus

Arcane
A month has to be enough to complete all three games?

If you have around free 100 hours go for it.

xL8jKuL.png

Padzi seems to be right. Though wanting to complete every DLC and side mission will probably bring you closer to 130 hours like the graphic shows us.

ferratilis

Magister
Ok, if I don't finish it in a month, I'll just pay for another. Fuck it, 4 euros isn't that much, and there are some other interesting titles there, like C&C Remastered.

Codex Year of the Donut
The gunplay in ME1 is forgettable enough that my go-to has been to play it on Easy to trivialize it and focus on the worldbuilding and set-up for continuity. After that you can play 2 and 3 on Hard, which is the sweet spot for an approachable difficulty where all builds work, but where you'll get fucked up the moment you make a stupid mistake. Good example of casual hard.
ME1 legendary edition has reworked combat, I enjoyed it.
seems about right, after checking my own playtimes:
ME1 with full DLC: ~40 hours
ME2 with full DLC: ~50 hours
ME3 with full DLC ~50 hours

ferratilis

Magister
I'm trying to give this game a fair chance, but it's an uphill battle. The moment-to-moment gameplay is so atrocious that it almost feels like I am fighting with the game just to play it. The way Shepard moves, not being able to sprint for more than three seconds, the ugly animations, clunky combat - all of these make me hate playing it. There is no sense of discovery, like finding an interesting item and then thinking about how it will make your character stronger or cooler, no power fantasy that RPGs usually give you, at all. Every new encounter is like "oh no, another one of these." I enjoyed playing both Kotors, but this game just seems so lifeless and by-the-numbers that it makes it seem cheap in comparison. Hell, I even enjoyed Witcher 1 combat with its rhythm-based inputs, but this bores me to death. Yes, the characters are good, lore is interesting, the Citadel is beautiful and has some interesting quests, but when the game is such a chore to play, none of it matters. I'd like to go through the entire trilogy because it's so highly regarded, but that seems really hard. The remaster didn't improve on the things that made me flush it years ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom