Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Yes, should have been a choice between adding just humanity or adding other races as well, like the Volus.

They could have done something like where humans sieze the council and install asari, turian, salarian "puppets" along with adding a human. So we essentially deny those races the opportunity to pick their own representatives. That would be more realistic.

It's their fault for advertising every choice has consequences. In order to have consequences you need to create content for every one of the choices. Taken together, a few choices could lead to an entire game worth of content just for them alone. So you either do it like Witcher 2 did it or not at all.

They could at least do small things. Like when you return to the citadel in ME2 if you installed a council, they could act like they were taking the reapers seriously. If there's an all human council there could be conversations with aliens about human resentment. Usually paragon choices are better but this could have been an opportunity to make a renegade choice better. If you let the council die, you can install a council more interested in preparing for the reapers.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
The ME team was obsessed with punishing renegade choices as much as possible. Kinda crazy that this company was putting out the first two Dragon Age games at the same time, the DA team wasn't afraid to reward evil choices at all.

Ravielsk

Magister
It's their fault for advertising every choice has consequences. In order to have consequences you need to create content for every one of the choices. Taken together, a few choices could lead to an entire game worth of content just for them alone. So you either do it like Witcher 2 did it or not at all.

That is just them being shit at planning ahead. I hate to repeatedly praise the same games over and over but this is a problem Gothic and Witcher 1 have solved ages ago.
In Gothic the big choices are boiled down to which faction you join which switched you between different sets of quests and solutions. All quest sets lead to the same end point but what changed was how you reached that end point.
In Witcher 1 they segmented the choices into per chapter alterations where you get to decide how to end the chapter which then later enables or disables certain content/options.

Both of these solutions economically solve the problem of multiple choices and offer plenty of roleplaying options. Its just that you have to plan ahead for them and not just offer seemingly radical game changing options only to then realize you cannot follow up on the promise. Bioware is just incompetent, nothing more nothing less.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
I bought the legendary edition for $20 a couple days ago. First time playing the games since they came out since I was kid. ME1 has been really enjoyable so far. Game is way better if you put points in the speech skills. I didn't even realize that was thing early on, thought you would get them automatically like the later games. I never put points into them as a kid. Game is really easy on insanity so you can spend those points without much hassle. Only time I die is the rare one shot from a rocket.

One big positive from ME1 is the dialogue. Renegade Shep is quite often hilarious. One of the funniest games I've played. Apparently some people love renegade fem shep but her voice comes off as over the top to me. Male shep nails it, he's a dick and it's great. I really enjoy the idea of the paragon/renegade system. It's a nice twist on good/evil. I wish they would have executed it better.

Caim

Arcane
Yeah, male paragon Shepard is a doofus but his deadpan delivery is amazing for a renegade run, especially if he decides to be a dick. Female Shepard is far better suited for the paragon run, while her renegade lines feel more forced.

Also $20 is a good price to pay for the collection if you don't own the games yet. Having the games be $60 at release for rereleases of games almost 10-15 years old is way too much.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
For all of Mass Effect's flaws it gives you an experience no other game does. I forgot how enjoyable ME1 is.
Careful, here on the RetardDex, most actually are under the illusion that ME2 was somehow better.

Haven't gotten to ME2 yet, I enjoyed it as a kid but I'm pretty confident I'm going to like ME1 better. The combat in ME1 is ass tho

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For all of Mass Effect's flaws it gives you an experience no other game does. I forgot how enjoyable ME1 is.
Careful, here on the RetardDex, most actually are under the illusion that ME2 was somehow better.

Haven't gotten to ME2 yet, I enjoyed it as a kid but I'm pretty confident I'm going to like ME1 better. The combat in ME1 is ass tho

It's worse in 2. More AKSHUN but very dumbed down. Weapons have no ammo anymore, they just need to cool down.

Jutsun

Brytenwalda Studios
Developer
Hi guys!

Do you think it is worth it to get the remaster? I'm actually interested in Mass Effect but never played it. I bought one of the games on Steam but never got to playing it.
However, now that I've been following the development of a game that is a bit inspired by Mass Effect, among others, I got curious about the franchise. Should I try the "old version" of the game first since I already have it or do you recommend jumping straight into the remaster?

Tytus

Arcane
Hi guys!

Do you think it is worth it to get the remaster? I'm actually interested in Mass Effect but never played it. I bought one of the games on Steam but never got to playing it.
However, now that I've been following the development of a game that is a bit inspired by Mass Effect, among others, I got curious about the franchise. Should I try the "old version" of the game first since I already have it or do you recommend jumping straight into the remaster?

if you already have the original games with DLC disregard the remaster. They fucked it up. Just use these mods. The games will look even better than the remaster does.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11QXClnLoJ_NDtCWM38h8go45-avHOVSB/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y6JZ4nuH0QkMjsvGvyh_06qehLiyzX11/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jTc6wZzQ71DWLCT7kCuhBmx1bnmLmBET/view

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TEgdlUBcsUa5GDI89Fc146H4nYMrq-0wIduvBJ9b_gE/edit

If you don't have the DLC wait for a sale and buy the remaster cheap.

1*sQP-pflZr6j-gmjBou0Eww.png

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

It's worse in 2. More AKSHUN but very dumbed down. Weapons have no ammo anymore, they just need to cool down.

I hate ME2 more than most people, but you literally put this backwards. ME1 had weapon cooldowns, ME2 introduced ammo.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Yes, should have been a choice between adding just humanity or adding other races as well, like the Volus.

They could have done something like where humans sieze the council and install asari, turian, salarian "puppets" along with adding a human. So we essentially deny those races the opportunity to pick their own representatives. That would be more realistic.

This would be too subtle for the average Biowhore REEEEtard.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I hate ME2 more than most people, but you literally put this backwards. ME1 had weapon cooldowns, ME2 introduced ammo.
Its not ammo, they're heatsink.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Its not ammo, they're heatsink.

A very meaningful distinction that works exactly like ammo. :lol:
As opposed to sitting around watching your heat meter dissipate over time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom