Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's what happens when almost everyone is killable in the first two games of a trilogy.
It just unnecessarily drags the plot. Should be that we take care of companions quest shit in first game. Then the second game we get the plot moving forward in stopping the reapers; but that's anathema to Bioware's memo.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Citadel would've been good had the companions not been cardboard cutouts. I try to be more positive about games these days, but there's almost no positivity to be squeezed out of ME's writing, lol. ME3 Jack is probably the most human out of all of them and the only person I'd actually want in my friend circle irl.
Is that your dominatrix kink showing? Jack is one of the most unpleasant characters in the series.

She matured quite a lot in ME3. In ME2, she was 3edgy5u and indeed unpleasant. By the time ME3 rolled around, however, she matured without losing too much of the edge. When I was a teen, I thought she was the worst and most try-hardy character in ME, and in 2 she is, but now I can understand her more and appreciate her ME3 incarnation.

Last edited:

Technomancer

Liturgist
Don't even get me started on the final boss either. A human reaper? Human. Reaper. What in god's name was that all about?
It's implied that's how reaper cores look. For individual aliens species they build a replica from harvested billions of people to "preserve" a race permanently in such a way. That core then gets entombed in larger reaper shell that looks like original reaper creators.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm not usually dumping on gfx but the eyes of these people are so damn soul empty.

MxAm2fS.png

lc1sYOu.png

She looks terrified... like this blue squid head is going to rape more of her soul.

Why do suits have sex stimulators.... that's fucking suck going off during combat.

"Commander... commander..!"

"Grrrrroooooooannnnnn ohhhhhhh ahhhhh unnnghhhhhhhhh!!!!"
pFJBvPg.jpg

Yosharian

Arcane
We went through this on release, the 'Legendary' edition 'upgrade' ruins the lighting of faces. The original games plus mods that you can install in 5 mins are way superior

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
It's implied that's how reaper cores look. For individual aliens species they build a replica from harvested billions of people to "preserve" a race permanently in such a way. That core then gets entombed in larger reaper shell that looks like original reaper creators.
At the end of the second game you see different reapers that all look bizarre, but at the start of the third game they look the same. I think this only applied to the second game.

Technomancer

Liturgist
At the end of the second game you see different reapers that all look bizarre, but at the start of the third game they look the same. I think this only applied to the second game.
There are variants in 3 as well. Spider like destroyers. I'm pretty sure making each one unique was just impractical. Smaller reapers are probably built from less successful races, those that have fewer worlds. The way reapers were fascinated with humanity implies they look at "ascension" as a type of respect and reward. Since Shepard pushed humanity success so much and successfully foiled their plan, reapers chose humans for early and first conversion of this cycle.

Or maybe they just wanted to build a replacement for one that was killed as soon as possible. Only fair to use those who played the key part in it.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
There are variants in 3 as well. Spider like destroyers. I'm pretty sure making each one unique was just impractical.
Okay. I'll take your word for it. Still stupid though. I mean, first game their motive is unknown and we spent a lot of time being freaked by basically what amounts to lovecraftian space gods. Liked that instead of them being fleshed out.

Since Shepard pushed humanity success so much and successfully foiled their plan,
Wait. What the fuck did Shepard do. All she did was touch some artifact and get visions of future reaper invasion. How did she push humanity's success. Also she didn't really foil their plan. All she did was delay the inevitable. This is one of the other reasons why I don't really like these games. Shepard is made out as some messiah of humanity when she's just one person who isn't that special besides reaper visions.

Technomancer

Liturgist
lovecraftian space gods. Liked that instead of them being fleshed out.
Disappointment was inevitable. No explanation can beat a good mystery. Also, whole story was changed. Original plot point for harvesting was about dark matter (ME2 Tali mission and star dying too fast) and culling of organics not about AI.

Last edited:

Technomancer

Liturgist
Wait. What the fuck did Shepard do. All she did was touch some artifact and get visions of future reaper invasion. How did she push humanity's success. Also she didn't really foil their plan. All she did was delay the inevitable. This is one of the other reasons why I don't really like these games. Shepard is made out as some messiah of humanity when she's just one person who isn't that special besides of reaper visions.
He pushed humans to the council and made them a galactic superpower. Spearheaded an attack on the reaper and with allied forces destroyed it (which is extremely rare since there are only two known reaper corpses in the galaxy). By destroying Sovereign he basically made the winning possible in this cycle. Usually it always happens like clockwork. Citadel functions like relay, whole reaper fleet warps in, decimates galactic government and then blitzkriegs the rest of the galaxy through the relays while they have their pants down. That "delay the inevitable" took "inevitable" part out of the equation.

Lemming42

Arcane
Wait. What the fuck did Shepard do. All she did was touch some artifact and get visions of future reaper invasion. How did she push humanity's success. Also she didn't really foil their plan. All she did was delay the inevitable. This is one of the other reasons why I don't really like these games. Shepard is made out as some messiah of humanity when she's just one person who isn't that special besides reaper visions.
It's mostly a function of both the Council being really really badly written across all the games, and writing that relies on a string of conveniences so absurd that it's practically a comedy. Shepard receives proof of the Reapers and the Council refuse to listen to her, partially because they're all written to be idiots and partially because Shepard just says outrageous shit, offers none of the actual proof she's discovered, and demands to be taken seriously, then is shocked when they tell her to fuck off. The Council change their minds based on a scratchy audio file (lmao) but still staunchly refuse to commit any resources towards the obvious Reaper threat, beyond sending Shepard to find Saren.

Nevertheless, Shepard was, at the end of ME1, more or less singlehandedly responsible for thwarting the Reaper invasion. There were a load of ships flying around going pew-pew outside which ultimately blew Sovereign up, but everyone had inexplicably vacated the Council room where the Very Important Control Panel was. Shepard had, in a one in a billion chance, been thrown to the inside of the Citadel by the Conduit at the exact right moment for this to happen. The Normandy reached Ilos with seconds to spare, Shepard made it to the Conduit with seconds to spare (despite stopping for a long talk with a hologram), and she and her team reached the Council chambers with seconds to spare. Basically, nobody except her did anything about the Reapers prior to Sovereign's attack, and when that attack did happen, a really stupid chain of coincidences and conveniences meant that she was the person most responsible out of the entire galactic population for keeping the Reapers trapped in dark space - an accomplishment that doesn't even matter, it turns out, because they all somehow pop out of dark space on their own in ME3 anyway.

Additionally, the entire fucking fleet follow Shepard's instructions on whether or not to save the Destiny Ascension, so she's considered a hero for that too. Why does she make this choice unilaterally instead of, like, Admiral Hackett? Dunno. Maybe there's a line about it. She also gets to essentially decide on her own who the human councilor should be. It's rubbish writing, the kind that permeates a lot of fiction in general.

They see her as a messiah afterwards because of this, but also, people conveniently don't recognise her in ME2 when the plot calls for it. Stores in the Citadel delight at having her give endorsements, but thugs in t-shirts standing just round the corner don't recognise her and try to shoot at her. She's famous throughout the galaxy, but in Kasumi's loyalty mission, a gathering of socialites who are clearly on top of galactic news totally fail to recognise her when she walks in without any disguise and with her entire face visible. It's just shit, basically.

Lemming42

Arcane
Well yeah, only fools use the default femshep. She looks like she belongs in a dingy alleyway, face down in a puddle of sick, behind a seedy bar in the year 1985. It's mostly that eyeshadow that's baked on to the face texture and can't be removed.

I chose femshep on my recent run because I'd been maleshep before and I just couldn't take him seriously. Mark Meer sounds like he's trying not to laugh at every other line.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
She's famous throughout the galaxy, but in Kasumi's loyalty mission, a gathering of socialites who are clearly on top of galactic news totally fail to recognise her when she walks in without any disguise and with her entire face visible. It's just shit, basically.
That part made me laugh especially when she delivers a statue of Saren to the rich guy - even has a reaction towards the statue when she sees him too. It's like the developers were basically making fun of the player's intelligence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom