Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Actually you have Kotor 2 to perfectly prove that point.
KotOR 2 is fantasy through and through. It has tons of Force bonds this, "use the sight" that, etc. etc., with no attempt to explain any of it in scientific terms.

Riel

Arcane
Actually you have Kotor 2 to perfectly prove that point.
KotOR 2 is fantasy through and through. It has tons of Force bonds this, "use the sight" that, etc. etc., with no attempt to explain any of it in scientific terms.
Yes, and the Phantom Menace has that pitiful attempt at explaining the Force with midiclorians or whatever they were called yet the Phantom Menace is probably the most childish and plain Star Wars movie. Nope explaining how things work is not what makes something true Science Fiction imo, the most important thing here is the theme and depth of the story.

Classic Star Trek Vs the new action oriented films. i.e. It's the same fantasy universe yet they are completely different.

Arbiter

Scholar
They'd have to rewrite major portions of the story starting in ME2 and retcon reapers back to their original intention. There's simply nothing Shepard can do that could ever compare to dealing with the reapers, they're a galaxy-wide extinction event.
I wonder how much they kick themselves for writing themselves into a corner like that. Easiest way out would probably be an alternate universe.

This is standard Bioware plot - ancient evil returning and threatening the world. They cannot write anything different.

Codex Year of the Donut
They are hard to replace if you look specifically for space/sci-fi action rpgs. I can't recall a single game that
scratches the same itch as ME1-3. There are similar games but none cover all the features that ME series
has.
Does someone know games in the same specific genre that are outright better than ME ?

Knights of the Old Republic 1&2
Star Wars is science fantasy, there are very few non-post apoc scifi RPGs.

JDR13

Arcane
Unfortunately, the scarcity of sci-fi RPGs doesn't make the ME games any better.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Unfortunately, the scarcity of sci-fi RPGs doesn't make the ME games any better.

It kinda does. If you're really into a certain style or setting it can add a lot of bonus points, especially if it's a relatively rare style or setting. I'd say the same thing about weak immersive sims, since the genre is relatively small in number compared to others.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Star Wars isn't comparable to Mass Effect, it's too fantasy.
Star Wars is science fantasy, there are very few non-post apoc scifi RPGs.

You're both wrong. Mass Effect isn't any different from Star Wars in that aspect. It's futuristic fantasy just like SW. Biotic powers are just as magical as the Force is. Omnitools are magic too. A retarded techno-babble explanation hidden in a lore dump that nobody reads doesn't change the way the world of the games and the stories of the games treat them. Asari are sexy space elves. After ME1, guns don't even need ammunition anymore. Space travel is super easy and convenient, except when plot demands otherwise. Bad guys big and bad and without any sensible plan or motives. Fleets and armies are farted out when the writers want things to be cool.

It's pretty obvious that ME1 was going for Star Trek level of really soft science fiction but then ME2 Bioware changed gears and went for brainless action shlock and what little worldbuilding they had before went out the window.

JDR13

Arcane

It kinda does. If you're really into a certain style or setting it can add a lot of bonus points, especially if it's a relatively rare style or setting. I'd say the same thing about weak immersive sims, since the genre is relatively small in number compared to others.

I meant from an objective standpoint. Something isn't made better simply because there's less of it. Some people might perceive that though due to their own desire for more of something that's scarce.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
To defeat the reapers you need 2 ingredients. 1) a way to travel without being dependent on their technology, like your own jump gates or even better something that doesn't even need jump gates like worm holes or whatever and 2) a way to neutralize indoctrination. As it is you lose even if you win because just fighting them will lead to becoming indoctrinated eventually.
I like it how first two ME games established that Reapers are extremely powerful and even awakening them is almost a defeat, but then Bioware completely retconned it. Single Reaper fucks up united fleet in ending of ME1, but in ME3 you are engaged in trench warfare with Reapers and their biggest power is zombiefication now instead of brute force.

Again, in Revelation Space universe humanity had no chances in open combat with Inhibitors and managed to success by unleashing Gray Goo on them, but Gray Goo then went out of control and fucked up entire Milky Way galaxy. And only then remaining humans decided to leave the Milky Way and establish life elsewhere - in Andromeda galaxy, for example (isn't there a Mass Effect game in Andromeda galaxy?)

Codex Year of the Donut
To defeat the reapers you need 2 ingredients. 1) a way to travel without being dependent on their technology, like your own jump gates or even better something that doesn't even need jump gates like worm holes or whatever and 2) a way to neutralize indoctrination. As it is you lose even if you win because just fighting them will lead to becoming indoctrinated eventually.
I like it how first two ME games established that Reapers are extremely powerful and even awakening them is almost a defeat, but then Bioware completely retconned it. Single Reaper fucks up united fleet in ending of ME1, but in ME3 you are engaged in trench warfare with Reapers and their biggest power is zombiefication now instead of brute force.

Again, in Revelation Space universe humanity had no chances in open combat with Inhibitors and managed to success by unleashing Gray Goo on them, but Gray Goo then went out of control and fucked up entire Milky Way galaxy. And only then remaining humans decided to leave the Milky Way and establish life elsewhere - in Andromeda galaxy, for example (isn't there a Mass Effect game in Andromeda galaxy?)
You spend the majority of ME3 running away from the reapers and suffering losses everywhere. The best the organics have to offer are barely putting up a fight whatsoever.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
And when Shepard manages to destroy a single small Reaper (land one that looks like a crab) with the help of entire Quarian fleet it's a cause for celebration.

Reapers in ME3 do not go down easily.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I think there are only 4 reapers gets killed during ME3, one is in DLC and another one requires high war asset. The rest two are just small ones on ground.

If anything Reaper is weak as fuck in ME2 not ME3. Shepard and two crew mates were able to take down a new born reaper. At least in ME 3 they didn't die from being shot by normal guns.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
If anything Reaper is weak as fuck in ME2 not ME3. Shepard and two crew mates were able to take down a new born reaper. At least in ME 3 they didn't die from being shot by normal guns.
That Reaper wasn't even finished being built, to be fair. All Reapers are built in the image of the species they harvested, and then the cuttlefish armor is added on top.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Tell me more about how a race of super-intelligent robotic space ships, hellbent on wiping out intelligent life in the galaxy, needs to wage ground war on Earth for weeks. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Ninjerk

Arcane
The Reapers were a mistake. Space noir > BSB save the galaxy plot every day and twice on Sundays.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Tell me more about how a race of super-intelligent robotic space ships, hellbent on wiping out intelligent life in the galaxy, needs to wage ground war on Earth for weeks. Or anywhere else for that matter.
Because, you see, they are extremely powerful in space and can destroy all opposition up there, but they don't have any means to directly attack their foes at surface of any planet, nor the means to destroy the planet. You would think than machines with aeons of experience and super intelligence would come up with some kind of Death-Star laser or at least means of orbital bombardment, but no

Last edited:

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
Because, you see, they are extremely powerful in space and can destroy all opposition up there, but they don't have any means to directly attack their foes at surface of any planet, nor the means to destroy the planet. You would think than machines with aeons of experience and super intelligence would come up with some kind of Death-Star laser or at least means of orbital bombardment, but no
Lasers are weak. Sir Isacc Newton is the deadliest son-of-a-bitch in space.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I boycotted this at release. Might consider buying it if it made its way to GOG or Steam. For less than a fiver.

And yet EA continues to be EA.

Riel

Arcane
I think the point of Reapers is to reset biologic civilizations back to stone age, not to wipe organic life. Destroying habitable planets indiscriminately would in the long term render the galaxy devoid of habitable planets.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I think the point of Reapers is to reset biologic civilizations back to stone age, not to wipe organic life. Destroying habitable planets indiscriminately would in the long term render the galaxy devoid of habitable planets.
Nope. Reapers destroy advanced civilizations completely and store DNA of the extinct races inside their bodies.

And orbital bombardment would do little to render the planet inhabitable in the long term. Just remember how dinosaurs went extinct

jf8350143

Liturgist
Nope. Reapers destroy advanced civilizations completely and store DNA of the extinct races inside their bodies.

And orbital bombardment would do little to render the planet inhabitable in the long term. Just remember how dinosaurs went extinct

The organic civilisation are not dinosaurs, they have underground bunker and other shit. You can't just nuke the planet and be done with it. Think about Jarvik's plan before it was interrupted by the collectors.

Even they have something that will only hurts the organics and nothing else, it will still destroy the whole environment system.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You very well know it will just be a higher res version and if we are extremely lucky, higher res textures too.

Nothing else will change.

I liked the Mass Effect trilogy. In retrospect, expectations are set and nobody will come back again to those games expecting a deep turn based RPG but a AAA space opera.
As far as they go, it was competent. Looking forward for an excuse to replay it on the couch.

every time i think of playing the whole saga again i'm also reminded of the absolutely horriterriblawful inventory management of mass effect 1 and of everything of mass effect 3, and i focus on something else. in the end, the least worthy, the second one, is the most enjoyable one. at least its simple gameplay is solid, and still more complex than the average cod.
mordin uber alles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom