Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Master of Orion Remake ? :O

TigerKnee

Arcane
Something about the shadow of MOO2 just chokes the life of any new entry into the Space 4X genre, it seems.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
all i read is "no please don't change a 20 years old game, i learnt its extremely basic mechanics and i don't want to learn anything else, if you don't agree with me you suck, i'm rubber you're glue".
My condolances on your poor reading comprehension I guess.

I don't agree with him on all points either btw, but he does have several good points.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Incidentally, I think Sulla should get his hands on Eclipse for the iPad if he hasn't already.

It's a Space 4X board game adaptation with all the basics people expect from the genre (Ship building/customization/combat, exploring and colonizing territories, diplomacy) but as a BG adaptation, it does it in a way that makes it feel fresh instead of the tired old "Master of Orion 2 but worse" way that most 4X Space games come off as.

My only gripe is that they never implemented the Expansion to the game which fixes some balance issues and adds new races/techs/etc.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

I don't know why but I already hate this game.
How could this be? Just look at that lip sync!

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why we won't see another Master of Orion:
http://www.garath.net/Sullla/MOO/mooeditorial.html
Felt this was relevant.

The screens look to have mechanics like moo2. Could be ok I guess.

(it actually used the same system from Master of Magic, not Master of Orion) and lost the far superior sliders from the original game.

Fuck MoO3, it's the worst piece of shit ever, it has sliders. Fuck sliders, I hate sliders, I wish everyone who designed sliders dies of cancer.

Oh, I wish MoO2 had sliders, like the first game, sliders were awesum.

Make up your minds, haterfags.

Destroid

Arcane
I'm so glad they hired the original artist and composer, those two surely contributed immensely to how great MoO is.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Fuck MoO3, it's the worst piece of shit ever, it has sliders. Fuck sliders, I hate sliders, I wish everyone who designed sliders dies of cancer.

Oh, I wish MoO2 had sliders, like the first game, sliders were awesum.

Make up your minds, haterfags.

Pretty sure that all of the hate directed at MOO3 had very little to do with sliders, but the futility of the player to affect the game.

The MOO1/MOO2 debate has to do with the acceptable level of micromanagement that works within a game. People have different tolerances for that, and "sliders vs. build queues" is a big part of that discussion.

Gozma

Arcane
Why we won't see another Master of Orion:
http://www.garath.net/Sullla/MOO/mooeditorial.html
Felt this was relevant.

The screens look to have mechanics like moo2. Could be ok I guess.

The guy is too moralistic. I don't think complex interactiony games are necessarily worse than cut down gamey games. I like MoO and I like Dwarf Fortress.

I agree that the remake will be a mediocre MoO2 at best obviously

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Pretty sure that all of the hate directed at MOO3 had very little to do with sliders, but the futility of the player to affect the game.

The MOO1/MOO2 debate has to do with the acceptable level of micromanagement that works within a game. People have different tolerances for that, and "sliders vs. build queues" is a big part of that discussion.

What do you mean futility? The player can manage everything on ever level. The problem is the game kinda plays by itself after some time so you dont really have to manage anything other than picking research and designing ships.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Shitload of screenshots:
nd6Bm1sZjdM.jpg

y7Mw8M8dT7Q.jpg

2eJA0fr5_H0.jpg

bzrWrYFpOls.jpg
7vXNi8e3sLg.jpg
Ohwm3X804Y8.jpg
pr0Y0HLP--o.jpg
pzD3YdpxPS8.jpg
NX_w5AEnhVM.jpg
8b0f84d55885619854eb8b19e230a155.jpg
rSAlZCVLA_g.jpg

Destroid

Arcane
The tech tree just makes me ugh. The most unique thing about the MoO series was it's approach to technology!

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Aaaah GNN news. That immediately brings nostalgic feelings AND the actual tune in mind. I should play MoO2 again.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
What do you mean futility? The player can manage everything on ever level. The problem is the game kinda plays by itself after some time so you dont really have to manage anything other than picking research and designing ships.

I agree, "futility" was a poor choice of words. I was going for something along the lines of the "lack of necessity" of the player to do anything to win.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yay robot tits.

Could this game possibly look any more generic? Apart from the hideous races, that is.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
so you're complaining the game plays for you, but you don't want to play yourself anyway?

Yes because additional micro isnt rewarded enough. Usually the auto feature is so bad its horrible to use but in MoO3 it was good enough which made you feel like the game was on auto and also didnt penalize you for that.

Yes because additional micro isnt rewarded enough. Usually the auto feature is so bad its horrible to use but in MoO3 it was good enough which made you feel like the game was on auto and also didnt penalize you for that.
so now you're complaining because the game has a feature which is too good?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom