Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Gregz said:
Most of his comments were spot on for a new player, if anyone thinks back to their first play they will recall how difficult it was to discern doors, navigate the interface, and survive escaping the starter dungeon.
The last one? definitely. The others? no. Interface was superbly easy to navigate, especially for someone who had to put up with Arena's. The only new player who'd have trouble with it is one from now, but that has more to do with current-gen players than with the game.

I still can't believe he skipped the custom class generator. You say it would've taken an hour, but he happily spent 5 minutes clicking on all races and going through all the background questions. All he had to do was take away 30 seconds from this and just SHOW the custom class generator.

I'll admit it: I don't like these video review restrospective thingies. But this one is a perfect example why: he's freeforming with no real script in his head for what he's going to say, which makes it far too easy to dwell on the unimportant aspects and completely skip the interesting ones, as he has done here. DF's main strengths were the character system, the faction interactions and the reputation system, the MQ storyline and the sheer immenseness of the game. None of these come across in this restrospective.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Nice retro-perspective. Matt if you are reading this: there is an alternative control method to use mouselook, makes things much easier.

I agree that the starter dungeon could be somewhat challenging (or to put it into Codex terms: rapefest). I remember that darn Imp and also the Thief.
The first time I reached the exit from the starter dungeon I luckily saved my game before exploring some more in the dungeon. Because at the time of the save I didn't knew I had contracted a major disease.
After I explored some more in the dungeon I went to the world map and died on the way to the nearest city. What a helpless feeling, couldn't reach anything before succumbing to disease!
But thanks to the save, which by some miracle I actually didn't overwrite, I could make my way to a temple while clinging on for dear life.

After this nice welcoming adventure to the world of Daggerfall, the first or second mission I received from the Fighters Guild was to kill a giant in a dungeon. After some lengthy and deep exploring the giant kind of sneak attacked me after emerging from a hidden door. That was the first giant I ever encountered. After what felt like an epic struggle at the time and a tale worthy of an endboss fighting, I thought everything was nice and dandy. Suddenly around the next corner I get bumrushed by not one but two of these beasts. Hilarity ensued.

Ah, fond memories :)

Aside from the epic 'wtf I'm doomed and yet in the end I lived to tell the tale!' moments I also recall finding the actual story and story quests somewhat intriguing as well as interesting. But I'm pretty sure I never actually got around to finish the game.
What a shame, almost makes me want to reinstall - but then again I'm not used to getting my ass handed and my hopes crushed around every corner by games anymore.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only a little over a month until Skyrim!
Wes561 7 hours ago

@Wes561 Seems like forever away. I have it pre-ordered. :)
blacklily8 (Matt's YouTube user name) 3 hours ago

:rpgcodex:

Deleted member 7219

I remember getting Daggerfall off Ebay and really looking forward to playing it. Huge disappointment.

Gregz

Arcane
Sceptic said:
I'll admit it: I don't like these video review restrospective thingies. But this one is a perfect example why: he's freeforming with no real script in his head for what he's going to say, which makes it far too easy to dwell on the unimportant aspects and completely skip the interesting ones, as he has done here. DF's main strengths were the character system, the faction interactions and the reputation system, the MQ storyline and the sheer immenseness of the game. None of these come across in this restrospective.

Yes, you are right there. It's not a 'Wiki-worthy' review per-se. He usually does a much better job with the things you describe when he's reviewing a game he's played through a few times. His Betrayal at Krondor review for instance.

Noone has played all the games. I think someone made an estimate earlier which suggested playing all titles from 1986 would take several years. I've played hundreds of games, but there's hundreds I haven't played. Maybe he's run out of popular titles to give proper treatment to. I still enjoyed the drunken humor and comments in this one however. But yeah, hardly a definitive Daggerfall retrospective.

MCA
It's not retrospective anything when you record your first ever time with barely any foreknowledge, stumbling around like a moron and skipping the good stuff.

I don't understand why he's even doing this.

AND FOR FUCK'S SAKE WTF IS WRONG WITH HIM, WHY ISN'T HE USING THE MOUSE-LOOK FUCKING ADHD MORON THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU CANT STFU FOR JUST A MOMENT AND LOOK AT THE MENUS AND STUFF!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Not a hard dungeon? Come the fuck on, I abandoned so many playthroughs because I forgot to save after every corner and got killed by the fucking imp in one cast.

It was hard for beginners and even those who are experienced with it knows the limitations of the low level character because you literally have no protection against a random magic crit.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
villain of the story said:
It's not retrospective anything when you record your first ever time with barely any foreknowledge, stumbling around like a moron and skipping the good stuff.

AND FOR FUCK'S SAKE WTF IS WRONG WITH HIM, WHY ISN'T HE USING THE MOUSE-LOOK FUCKING ADHD MORON THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU CANT STFU FOR JUST A MOMENT AND LOOK AT THE MENUS AND STUFF!

HAHA, that was pretty fucking annoying. Clickety- click click, turn left, turn right, whining about the interface - I wanted to reach through the screen and turn on mouse-look for him! :lol:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I assume he is not doing these videos for the hardcore RPG gamers and the Codexers, but to those, who might not be familiar with the games of the past. And for that purpose, these videos make a good job.

And as someone said before, the custom character generation would take a long time. This video was twice as long as the earlier videos already.

RatFink

Educated
wow...correct me if im wrong but...

well wasnt he a little bit more humble in the past?

i really liked his stuff..but come on man, whats up with all those stupid one liners and jokes and swear words...

plus: he doesnt know how to pronounce cuirass?? dude...i thought he studied english or something along those lines...

disappointing, this one...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
RatFink said:
wow...correct me if im wrong but...

well wasnt he a little bit more humble in the past?

i really liked his stuff..but come on man, whats up with all those stupid one liners and jokes and swear words...
I was also surprised on that, because this was his first video in this style. But to be honest, I wasn't bothered by it. Maybe he just wanted to shake it up a little, so the video would be a little different than the others.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
bspencer_o_GIFSoup.com.gif

Bitch - Whine - Derp :/

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
RatFink said:

He's now next-gen dark gritty and mature Matt Chat.

Kz3r0

Arcane
RatFink said:
You are aware that you are posting on the Codex, right?

Dark Matter

Prophet
In the comments:

Seems like forever away [until Skyrim is released]. I have it pre-ordered. :)
Didn't he say that he dislikes the Elder Scrolls series in his recent podcast?

I like that he covers old-skool RPGs but I just don't find his videos all that entertaining.

Renegen

Arcane
Dark Matter said:
In the comments:

I like that he covers old-skool RPGs but I just don't find his videos all that entertaining.

He's just trying to get some money or fame from the people who love old-school cRPGs, that's it. He has enough knowledge to entertain a conversation on the best RPGs, but just like any other journalist or industry insider, he will say anything that will give him credibility and popularity. And people are falling for it, maybe because deep down inside they want re-affirmation of their choices. Personally, I just follow the videos where he interviews other people in a candit format. At least he can't screw up those.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Renegen said:
Dark Matter said:
In the comments:

He's just trying to get some money or fame from the people who love old-school cRPGs, that's it. He has enough knowledge to entertain a conversation on the best RPGs, but just like any other journalist or industry insider, he will say anything that will give him credibility and popularity. And people are falling for it, maybe because deep down inside they want re-affirmation of their choices. Personally, I just follow the videos where he interviews other people in a candit format. At least he can't screw up those.
P. much.

My complaint about Daggerfall was that the main quest was just a bunch of fetch quests for a bunch of cardboard cutouts.
The random dungeons were terrible, too big and made from 2-3 jigsaw pieces.

I must have been lucky because my first character was strong enough to get through fighting quite easily.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I think it's pretty clear by now that Matt has strong opinions about what he feels makes for a good RPG, but at the same time there are games that violate his criteria that he still enjoys. Baldur's Gate and Elder Scrolls are probably examples of that. Also, he doesn't exactly come out glowing about Daggerfall, and I get the sense he doesn't really care much about it save for some of the character building, but he never really says anything overtly negative in those videos anyway. He saves his critique for his articles.

MCA
J_C said:
I assume he is not doing these videos for the hardcore RPG gamers and the Codexers, but to those, who might not be familiar with the games of the past. And for that purpose, these videos make a good job.

No. To those who might not be familiar with the games of the past, including Daggerfall, this video only puts Daggerfall in an even more inaccessible obfuscating light. He plays it like a retard with the interactive interface instead of showing that it can be played WASD + mouse look like any other modern FP game, like the other TES games.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
All three or four episodes of Matt's Chat I've seen were bad. The guy choses some great games to speak about and doesn't make the slightest effort!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Renegen said:
Dark Matter said:
In the comments:

The audio podcast I linked earlier proves, that in his Matt Chat videos he is very lighthearted, and avoids any real criticism. But in his audio podcasts (and articles) he rages about the shitty RPGs and dumbed down games. Maybe he doesn't want to piss off his Youtube viewers, I don't know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom