Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Mechajammer Kickstarter Update #27: New Title, Beta Updated

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Mechajammer; Whalenought Studios

The Copper Dreams beta build was unexpectedly updated two days ago. Once again, the game's visual style had completely changed. In fact, it now looks remarkably like Serpent in the Staglands, Whalenought's previous title. This time they published a Kickstarter update to explain what was going on, starting with the fact that the game is now called Mechajammer. Here's its new trailer:

Greetings! We hope this reaches you all in good health.

The Copper Dreams project gets a new name to go with its shiny coat of paint and ruleset as we begin to complete main sections of the game. Beta v2 deathmatch modes now available for testing and glory.

We had mentioned earlier this spring that we wanted to perfect some of the movement systems and companions in the game since the alpha work. The Alpha/Beta v1 response has favored tighter controlled characters for faster turns with simultaneous minded tactics, and we've chiseled beta v2 to focus on that.

There’s an improved interface for actions, and we made the appropriate cozy visuals to engage your fleshy eyeballs and roleplaying imagination. Sprites are super easy to at-a-glance in the midst of the action compared to their 3d counterparts of old, allowing you to survey a battlefield much more quickly. The environment lovingly followed — an industrious colony surface atop the skeletal husk of a city with a century worth of damage from the Ci-War, now pushing back the encroaching jungle and mutations from all sides and depths. All of it drenched in rain-soaked streets, haunted under-cities, and atomizing laser deaths.

For those of you who got a beta release a while back as we were finishing up on our final tweaks for tiles and squad gameplay, that’s been updated on Steam with all changes. If you didn’t receive that invite send us an email and we can shoot you another. All other KS tiers will be receiving an early test invite in the future (final release date coming soon). Next release(s) on Steam will be additional maps to test on, and soon the first big chunk of the game to explore.

We’re also working on some updates for the community page so that's been currently down, and the next content we share will be more story related now that beta v2 is done and we're getting more chunks of the main map done.
    The new beta has been received more positively than the original release in March, though as the update states all it contains right now is a deathmatch mode. Hopefully the game is now truly entering full production. The combination of Serpent in the Staglands' visual style with the new mechanics that Whalenought developed for Copper Dreams was probably always the right way to go.

• Funny x 9
    • Brofist x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Thonius Prophet

Thonius
    Jesus these people... now they are changing name.

• Funny x 12
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Murk Arcane

Murk
    Wasn't this similar to the look they had a long time ago? Or am I mistaking it for a different game.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Here's how it looked in early 2016:

• Informative x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. toro Arcane

toro

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Mr. Magniloquent Savant

Mr. Magniloquent
    Reminds me a lot of Syndicate. It looks better than what I remember seeing of it while it was Copper Dreams. I will now be watching this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Murk Arcane

Murk
    Perhaps it's because it was the first I saw, or because of strange nostalgia for a "super detailed and developed early 3d era style", but this looks the most appealing to me.

EDIT: Though I think I like the most recent iteration over the cell-shaded look.

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  8. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    I like how everyone's reaction now is: "Nothing to see here. Move Along."

:lol::lol::lol:

Corporate suits and project leads really do exist for a reason, and I think the Kickstarter era proves that better than any argument one might verbalize.

• Agree x 5
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Thac0 Hopeless Optimist Patron

Thac0
    Between Black Geyser and this the codex might need a best rpg that will never come out award.

• It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Skdursh Learned

Skdursh
    The new name is incredibly generic and has a completely shit "mouth-feel" when you say it. "Copper Dreams" was much better.

• Agree Agree x 19
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Zyondyne Novice

Zyondyne
    Okay, at this point this is not even funny anymore. It's borderline insane actually.

I can appreciate that they want to deliver a product as good as they can, but I'm already pretty sure they have no vision or general direction.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    I don't know, looks good to me. Like the dice.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    i like old name better. the the art is looking good. like more vibrant original look.

seriously mechajammer sounds like generic rouge like action dungeon crawler or something

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I will at least say that I like the visual style in that video.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. aratuk Arbiter

aratuk
    Had to read the comments just to see this iteration of "They changed it! Why they keep on changing it?"

:x
    Give peace a chance, you popamoles.

But… shouldn't the name be Mechajamma?

^ Top  
  17. Drowed Arcane

Drowed
    Well, they needed to change the name because that's essentially not the same game in any sense anymore.

^ Top  
  18. Grauken I'm here because I love watching dinosaurs Patron

Grauken
    It was a costly lesson for some of us, but overall a worthwhile reality check

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. dawcio Learned

dawcio
    Wow, it's still evolving

^ Top  
  20. Outmind Augur

Outmind
    What is it with these studios changing excellent names to crap?

First No Truce with the Furies and now Copper Dreams? I loved Copper Dreams, damn it!

Let's just hope they pull off a Disco Elysium and the game becomes a smashing success.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Mechajammer is a decent name, but considering the changes in style and the development cycle, we could have gotten both.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It does, but I think the point here is that this severe change of art style several times over (how many times did that happen so far? Have we hit a dozen already?) and now also the change of name to something that just sounds way less interesting than "Copper Dreams" did...
    To me, at least, it shows a lack of vision and/or leadership and/or management and that simply doesn't inspire confidence.

One important part of project management is to make plans and stick to them. Only change plans if completely unavoidable.
    There will always be phases in which a plan suddenly doesn't seem to work out, and in these phases, it is especially important to see it through, because more often than not, it was just some missing/unfinished element that made the plan look bad.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. V_K Arcane

V_K
    As if their first game wasn't evidence enough of that.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. SausageInYourFace Codexian Sausage Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    If the name-changes take the same trajectory as the visual style this will go through another five iterations at the very least only to end up as Snake in the Techlands.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • incline incline x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.