Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries by Piranha Games - now on Steam and GOG

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
It's part of the general testing they do for everyone. Usually you get assigned whatever profession in your caste you're suitable for, but if they think you'd be better off doing a job in another caste then that's that, you're moved. Warriors who fail their trial/trials get kicked into a lower caste too. Though that's a bad thing for them so maybe that doesn't count.
As for games it's just 2, GBL, 3, and the first MechCommander that have a Clan focus. Mechwarrior 2M does and doesn't since they only invade halfway through the game, though obviously they become the big thing once they do show up. Some of the other games have Clan mechs, but only as salvage that's being used by Inner Sphere guys to fight each other. So overall there aren't that many games that focus on them, but they were all consecutive so sometimes it doesn't feel that way.
This patently untrue. The trueborn/freeborn divide is huge, and few Clans allow freeborns to get too high. Marthe tried it with Diana and nearly got a riot on her hands. She was only saved by the stupid Vipers who allowed the freeborn to prove themselves beyond a doubt.

In the Clans, unless you are decanted as a warrior, you don't get to be a warrior. And if you test out, you're out for good. That was what made Aidan Pryde's story so compelling, and it took a lot of deceit and political backing to get him there. The Smokes are the worst of the intolerant lot, and mobility into the warrior caste is non-existent. There is no testing. If you are freeborn, forget it. Clanners are morons, and the only ones who succeeded and survived are those who bucked the trend. Wolf, Ghost Bear, Diamond Shark/Sea Fox, Scorpions, even Falcons (for a while). The rest died or became inconsequential.

I didn't say you could be freeborn and become high ranked. I said you could be freeborn and become a warrior. You're not part of a bloodhouse so it's impossible to get a bloodname and therefore achieving high ranks is impossible (unless the writers really like you), and you'll be looked down on, but it's still possible to become a warrior in a lot of Clans. The shitstorm over Diana was only because she wanted a bloodname. Before then she was just another freebirth, whatever. And similarly, when Aidan was pretending to be Jorge he was allowed. They gave him shit but he was still a warrior.
But yeah, now that I refresh my memory, Jags don't allow freeborn warriors at all. But that puts them in a minority, and it has its issues. They needed to start giving their cadets a second trial of position if they failed their first, because they were running into manpower issues. Other Clans don't need to do that, because they're fine with using freeborn when appropriate so they have enough people. Allowing them in is the normal thing.

Now that I think about it I probably should have gone into more detail instead of just saying they're "not treated as well", because that is kind of an understatement, yeah.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I didn't say you could be freeborn and become high ranked. I said you could be freeborn and become a warrior. You're not part of a bloodhouse so it's impossible to get a bloodname and therefore achieving high ranks is impossible (unless the writers really like you), and you'll be looked down on, but it's still possible to become a warrior in a lot of Clans. The shitstorm over Diana was only because she wanted a bloodname. Before then she was just another freebirth, whatever. And similarly, when Aidan was pretending to be Jorge he was allowed. They gave him shit but he was still a warrior.
But yeah, now that I refresh my memory, Jags don't allow freeborn warriors at all. But that puts them in a minority, and it has its issues. They needed to start giving their cadets a second trial of position if they failed their first, because they were running into manpower issues. Other Clans don't need to do that, because they're fine with using freeborn when appropriate so they have enough people. Allowing them in is the normal thing.

Now that I think about it I probably should have gone into more detail instead of just saying they're "not treated as well", because that is kind of an understatement, yeah.
Try again, kid. The Jags weren't the only ones. You clearly do not know the lore and are only regurgitating what sarna.net says, not realising that sarna.net is deliberately vague in many areas due to legal reasons.

Try again, kid. The Jags weren't the only ones. You clearly do not know the lore and are only regurgitating what sarna.net says, not realising that sarna.net is deliberately vague in many areas due to legal reasons.
I'm relying on Warriors of Kerensky.
Most Clans allow a potential warrior a single Trial of Position. This practice, however, is a custom rather than one of Nicholas Kerensky's dictates. On occasion, a warrior has failed the first test and is overtly or covertly retested. The Smoke Jaguars made retesting standard practice in order to make up for numbers lost by their refusal to use freeborn warriors; variants of the practice exist in Clans Blood Spirit, Ghost Bear, Hell's Horses and Steel Viper. In all the other Clans, a second Trial of Position can only be authorized by the Clan Council, and then only in exceptional circumstances (for example, if a technician's error caused a mechanical fault).
Page 62, the last paragraph in the education section.

Seems pretty conclusive to me. If Sarna says the same thing then good for Sarna, because that's correct.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I'm relying on Warriors of Kerensky.
Most Clans allow a potential warrior a single Trial of Position. This practice, however, is a custom rather than one of Nicholas Kerensky's dictates. On occasion, a warrior has failed the first test and is overtly or covertly retested. The Smoke Jaguars made retesting standard practice in order to make up for numbers lost by their refusal to use freeborn warriors; variants of the practice exist in Clans Blood Spirit, Ghost Bear, Hell's Horses and Steel Viper. In all the other Clans, a second Trial of Position can only be authorized by the Clan Council, and then only in exceptional circumstances (for example, if a technician's error caused a mechanical fault).
Page 62, the last paragraph in the education section.

Seems pretty conclusive to me. If Sarna says the same thing then good for Sarna, because that's correct.
Your claim isn't a second trial of position. Your claim is that there is caste mobility. My retort is not into the warrior caste. You again trying to shift goalposts in order to "win" an argument and getting aggro when your lies are exposed. You didn't know shit back when hBSTech came out. You still don't know shit now. Grow up and read books for a change.

Your claim isn't a second trial of position. Your claim is that there is caste mobility. My retort is not into the warrior caste. You again trying to shift goalposts in order to "win" an argument and getting aggro when your lies are exposed. You didn't know shit back when hBSTech came out. You still don't know shit now. Grow up and read books for a change.
It obviously is possible to test into the warrior caste, or else freeborn warriors would have gone extinct a long time ago.
I guess you're just arguing with me because you don't like me based on our past discussions, so I won't continue from here.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
It obviously is possible to test into the warrior caste, or else freeborn warriors would have gone extinct a long time ago.
I guess you're just arguing with me because you don't like me based on our past discussions, so I won't continue from here.
And they are for most Clans. You are a moron who insist you know things when you don't. Like your claim about the Vipers.

It was the Vipers who challenged the Falcons for having freeborn warriors you ignorant imbecile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom