Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries by Piranha Games - now on Steam and GOG

deama

Prophet
Is it gonna be a continuationg of the base campaign or a new campaign? So you don't have to load from an existing one?
Or is it gonna be like those DLCs, a few hours of fun and that's it?

Retardo

Learned
Seeing how shitty the base game turned out to be in delivering a ptoper campaign, then fucking up again in dlc campaign, I'm not optimistic.
The best we can hope for is they give us clanner mechs/weapons, and some decent maps.

The trailer is shit too, what with the diverse cast of mechwarriors at 0:27, with 3 out of 5 being stronk wymmyn of different etnicities.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The trailer is shit too, what with the diverse cast of mechwarriors at 0:27, with 3 out of 5 being stronk wymmyn of different etnicities.
Yeah, that's pretty standard fare for BattleTech.
Only hBSTech.
BT has always had female MechWarriors and leaders, both competent and horrible. The Inner Sphere states were always strange amalgamations of cultures, religions and ethnicities. No ethnicity or gender gets elevated above anyone else as everyone is equally shitty. Except for the Clans, of course. ;)

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Only hBSTech.
BT has always had female MechWarriors and leaders, both competent and horrible. The Inner Sphere states were always strange amalgamations of cultures, religions and ethnicities. No ethnicity or gender gets elevated above anyone else as everyone is equally shitty. Except for the Clans, of course. ;)
Except that it was predominantly British whites and German whites vs Japanese, Chinese and the mongrels of the FWL. That changed drastically when dark age came about.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Only hBSTech.
Except that it was predominantly British whites and German whites vs Japanese, Chinese and the mongrels of the FWL. That changed drastically when dark age came about.
No, this sounds like headcanon. BT has always had whites and nonwhites. Even way before the Dark Age. Just look at the dominant religions of the area. Lyran Commonwealth is a majority Christian, but Islam is a significant religion there as well. Either way, I never felt like it was ever a big point in BT. It's not something that comes up in any capacity whether it's negative or positive. Freebirth vs vat born babies is the only topic they seem to explore in BT that's related to heritage.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Only hBSTech.
No, this sounds like headcanon. BT has always had whites and nonwhites. Even way before the Dark Age. Just look at the dominant religions of the area. Lyran Commonwealth is a majority Christian, but Islam is a significant religion there as well. Either way, I never felt like it was ever a big point in BT. It's not something that comes up in any capacity whether it's negative or positive. Freebirth vs vat born babies is the only topic they seem to explore in BT that's related to heritage.
Read the novels sometime.

Retardo

Learned
I'm glad that we all agree here that the game is/gonna be shit, and the only thing left to bicker is whether brown penis-challenged clansmen are canon or not.

:M

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I don't agree. MW5 was ok at release and is outright good in it's current state. They have a good base to build from and MW5:C will probably turn out to be pretty good. Decent at worst.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Leo Showers and later, Lincoln Osis, the Smoke Jaguar Khans, have always been depicted in the fiction and media as black-skinned.

Leo_Showers_CCG_Limited.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm glad that we all agree here that the game is/gonna be shit, and the only thing left to bicker is whether brown penis-challenged clansmen are canon or not.

:M
You could be right. The campaign side of MW5 was pretty meh. This one wont have the sandbox galaxy which is a good thing but at the same time I've not seen them make any missions that were particularly strong.

lightbane

Arcane
Leo Showers and later, Lincoln Osis, the Smoke Jaguar Khans, have always been depicted in the fiction and media as black-skinned.
That's one thing, and it's different of what HBSTech did with the setting, where EVERY member of your faction is of a different race, thus pretending to be a woke equivalent of the Avengers or something. The lulziest example is the angry Muslim woman with tattoos + low social skills programmer/technician combo... That is actually terrible in her job.
I believe the classic work wasn't that exaggeratedly diverse.

Jason Liang

Arcane
That's one thing, and it's different of what HBSTech did with the setting, where EVERY member of your faction is of a different race, thus pretending to be a woke equivalent of the Avengers or something. The lulziest example is the angry Muslim woman with tattoos + low social skills programmer/technician combo... That is actually terrible in her job.

Woke in 1994 I guess

Retardo

Learned

Woke in 1994 I guess

Looks a lot less woke to me.

lightbane

Arcane
I can see at least two white guys and one non-ugly white woman, that's one more than the HBS game IIRC. Hell, there's even a blonde! These aren't physically possible to create in chargen in HBStech (here as a bad guy, but still).

HBS Battletech was just bizarre on that front. Every single character was mixed race, but only two races. So apparently every ethnic group did stick to themselves until a little before the year 3000, and only then did they start interbreeding. Makes no fucking sense.
Anyway, Clansmen should logically all be mutts. The eugenics program effectively picks parents at random (from the list of people judged competent, that is, if you suck you don't get to reproduce at all), so after centuries of that they should all be a complete mystery. Though it's pretty boring to have everyone look the same so it probably would be better to ignore that.

I'm glad that we all agree here that the game is/gonna be shit
for as much as they can add, we can be 10000% sure mods *already* add more and better.

Anyway, Clansmen should logically all be mutts. The eugenics program effectively picks parents at random (from the list of people judged competent
so they should all be white/asian.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I'm glad that we all agree here that the game is/gonna be shit
for as much as they can add, we can be 10000% sure mods *already* add more and better.

Anyway, Clansmen should logically all be mutts. The eugenics program effectively picks parents at random (from the list of people judged competent
so they should all be white/asian.
Clan eugenics prize fighting ability. That is why the Jags we have seen in the books are mainly of a certain dark skinned ethnicity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom