Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries by Piranha Games - now on Steam and GOG

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I purchased Mechwarrior 5, and the Heroes of the Inner Sphere, Kestrel Lancers, and Rise of Rasalhague DLCs. And I can now declare that this is the best shit game I've played in a long time.

+ It takes place in the pre-3050 Inner Sphere, which was my favorite era of BattleTech from back when I played the FASA tabletop version regularly
+ I enjoyed choosing between the different House factions. I went with Liao mostly, but also supported Kurita and Marik. I've always found Steiner a bit bland and Davion too sanctimonious and blind to their own atrocities. Kurita is brutal but not blind to what it is, but also a bit dull like Steiner once you get passed the Asian motifs. But Marik with its constant civil strife and Liao with its insane cults just make for a more interesting experience
+ I often got to be the Kool-Aid man since Heavy and Assault mechs can walk through the outer walls of settlements. I can't tell you how many times a tank got surprised and stomped by me when I burst through and behind them
+ All my old favorite mechs are here. The Locust, the Jenner, the Pheonix Hawk, the Hunchback, the Archer, the Warhammer, the Maurader, the Atlas. Later as the game progresses mechs like the Raven appear. I always hated the mech, but it was always a joy to see the retarded Charger on the other team
+ One of the DLCs allowed interaction with mercs, so I did enjoy running into outfits like the Wolfs Dragoons even if the encounters were brief and pointless
+ I liked the feel of the controls and the weapons. I also enjoyed being able to make modifications to my mechs, but wish I could modify them further and not be held back by the variant restrictions
+ Hero mechs from the DLCs were also a welcome addition. I really had a blast with my hero Archer, loading it up with 2x LRM-15s and 2x SRM-5s and sending my crew to run interference while I blew mechs up from afar. The hero Griffin was a workhorse, and I also liked the Hunchback variant that swapped the AC-20 for a Gauss Rifle
+ I loved watching the history unfold and the map change due to in canon events
+ The mercenary campaign from the DLCs is a better experience than the story-driven campaign in the base game. Just pick a region of the map and go
- The game is still shit though
- Taking a lance into combat was like handing a bunch of retarded 8th graders off of a short bus, giving them AR-15s, and taking them bear hunting
- Short bus retards continuosly shot me from behind and stomped on allied tanks, even when there were no threats around us
- The mission designs on fixed missions are dull and boring with little variation besides destroy waves of mechs of equal tonnage to your lance
- The randomly generated missions were full of bullshit such as enemies teleporting in right next to your lance at the start of the mission. I had one mission where I was guarding a base in a settlement surrounded on three sides by cliff walls. So I set my lance on the edge of the settlement so we could pick off incoming mechs. Somehow the mechs teleported behind me
- The design team must have known that they fucked up the AI and the mission designs, so most of the missions from the base game deal with you meeting a mission objective, then trying to get evacuated from a landing zone while wave after waves of enemies take pot shots at your back armor. This is what the dev team considered as fun and exciting gameplay. Or maybe they just gave up and just decided to publish an unfinished game since the DLC missions are much better and remove the end of mission wave attacks. This turns into a more arcady experience as you get to practice shots into enemy cockpits to slow the hoards down
- Without the end of mission wave attacks, the DLC missions are too easy if you know to bring extra money, pilots and backup mechs into the campaign. The DLC missions are still more fun
- Star League did nothing wrong in the main campaign. Yeah, Star League is a faction of assholes in a game full of asshole factions, but the main character and his father are in the wrong. During the first mission the two characters see a bunch of mech dropships land on their planet. Instead of doing the sensible thing and get back to their HQ and figure out if they should bug out or not, the two instead decide to loot the storage facilities on the planet and get trapped, leading to the father's death... and I'm supposed to feel bad? The guy was trying to rob the government of the planet he was contracted to. And multiple dropships usually mean multiple mechs. Why did you think that using only two mechs to try to rob the place was a good idea?
- Later you find out there is a greater conspiracy, because there's always a fucking greater conspiracy in these corporate video games. And you then hunt down the dudes that killed your father and find out in the great reveal that... your dad was an even bigger asshole than you first thought and Star League had every right to see him as a threat, hunt him down, and try to find out his secrets. And nothing valuable was learned.

But seriously... play the mercenary campaign with some of the DLCs and ignore the main game. Treat this like a Mechwarrior sandbox with no true ending, and you should have a blast.

deama

Prophet
I purchased Mechwarrior 5, and the Heroes of the Inner Sphere, Kestrel Lancers, and Rise of Rasalhague DLCs. And I can now declare that this is the best shit game I've played in a long time.

+ It takes place in the pre-3050 Inner Sphere, which was my favorite era of BattleTech from back when I played the FASA tabletop version regularly
+ I enjoyed choosing between the different House factions. I went with Liao mostly, but also supported Kurita and Marik. I've always found Steiner a bit bland and Davion too sanctimonious and blind to their own atrocities. Kurita is brutal but not blind to what it is, but also a bit dull like Steiner once you get passed the Asian motifs. But Marik with its constant civil strife and Liao with its insane cults just make for a more interesting experience
+ I often got to be the Kool-Aid man since Heavy and Assault mechs can walk through the outer walls of settlements. I can't tell you how many times a tank got surprised and stomped by me when I burst through and behind them
+ All my old favorite mechs are here. The Locust, the Jenner, the Pheonix Hawk, the Hunchback, the Archer, the Warhammer, the Maurader, the Atlas. Later as the game progresses mechs like the Raven appear. I always hated the mech, but it was always a joy to see the retarded Charger on the other team
+ One of the DLCs allowed interaction with mercs, so I did enjoy running into outfits like the Wolfs Dragoons even if the encounters were brief and pointless
+ I liked the feel of the controls and the weapons. I also enjoyed being able to make modifications to my mechs, but wish I could modify them further and not be held back by the variant restrictions
+ Hero mechs from the DLCs were also a welcome addition. I really had a blast with my hero Archer, loading it up with 2x LRM-15s and 2x SRM-5s and sending my crew to run interference while I blew mechs up from afar. The hero Griffin was a workhorse, and I also liked the Hunchback variant that swapped the AC-20 for a Gauss Rifle
+ I loved watching the history unfold and the map change due to in canon events
+ The mercenary campaign from the DLCs is a better experience than the story-driven campaign in the base game. Just pick a region of the map and go
- The game is still shit though
- Taking a lance into combat was like handing a bunch of retarded 8th graders off of a short bus, giving them AR-15s, and taking them bear hunting
- Short bus retards continuosly shot me from behind and stomped on allied tanks, even when there were no threats around us
- The mission designs on fixed missions are dull and boring with little variation besides destroy waves of mechs of equal tonnage to your lance
- The randomly generated missions were full of bullshit such as enemies teleporting in right next to your lance at the start of the mission. I had one mission where I was guarding a base in a settlement surrounded on three sides by cliff walls. So I set my lance on the edge of the settlement so we could pick off incoming mechs. Somehow the mechs teleported behind me
- The design team must have known that they fucked up the AI and the mission designs, so most of the missions from the base game deal with you meeting a mission objective, then trying to get evacuated from a landing zone while wave after waves of enemies take pot shots at your back armor. This is what the dev team considered as fun and exciting gameplay. Or maybe they just gave up and just decided to publish an unfinished game since the DLC missions are much better and remove the end of mission wave attacks. This turns into a more arcady experience as you get to practice shots into enemy cockpits to slow the hoards down
- Without the end of mission wave attacks, the DLC missions are too easy if you know to bring extra money, pilots and backup mechs into the campaign. The DLC missions are still more fun
- Star League did nothing wrong in the main campaign. Yeah, Star League is a faction of assholes in a game full of asshole factions, but the main character and his father are in the wrong. During the first mission the two characters see a bunch of mech dropships land on their planet. Instead of doing the sensible thing and get back to their HQ and figure out if they should bug out or not, the two instead decide to loot the storage facilities on the planet and get trapped, leading to the father's death... and I'm supposed to feel bad? The guy was trying to rob the government of the planet he was contracted to. And multiple dropships usually mean multiple mechs. Why did you think that using only two mechs to try to rob the place was a good idea?
- Later you find out there is a greater conspiracy, because there's always a fucking greater conspiracy in these corporate video games. And you then hunt down the dudes that killed your father and find out in the great reveal that... your dad was an even bigger asshole than you first thought and Star League had every right to see him as a threat, hunt him down, and try to find out his secrets. And nothing valuable was learned.

But seriously... play the mercenary campaign with some of the DLCs and ignore the main game. Treat this like a Mechwarrior sandbox with no true ending, and you should have a blast.
I recently played through it myself, this was pretty much the introduction to the universe for me, I only did a bit of playing of mechwarrior 4 a long time ago.

I was also quite dissapointed in the customization, though luckily I found some mods to fix it and add more equipment and mechs. I even modded it to add in super heavies later on past 3070s.

I wish it was more sandboxy. At first I thought my actions had an impact on the world map, but it didn't. Once I finished the main campaign and did the some dlcs and missions, I didn't have much else to do, I even got a 175 tonn spidermech, there's nothing else for me to do other than spam missions until the universe ends. I wish there was more to the endgame, like at least the map changing to your mission actions and stuff. Maybe they'll do that in the sequel.

Also, I was quite dissapointed with the sizes of mechs. I installed some mods to add in super heavies like the 200+ tonn orca, but they're the same size or just barely bigger than something like atlas? Very dissapointing, I was hoping by the end game I would be piloting mechs that are almost double the size of atlas.
At least they had the supercharger engines, I liked those, being able to burst to 200km/h is nice.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Hm. I got this game several months ago for PS5 and played it. I thought I wrote a reaction post but I guess I didn't.

I liked the game and thought it was fun enough. My biggest criticisms were the limited gameplay variety and missing several obvious features.

The gameplay loop of mission -> loot -> repair/ mechlab -> travel -> shopping -> recruiting -> mission works. The map with Conflict Zones, Industrial Hubs, political factions and special missions also works. It would obvioously have been cooler if each planetary system of conflict zone had its own unique bespoke missions/ side plot but that's kind of unrealistic.

I also really dug the setting - when the game starts, the 3rd Succession War hasn't even ended yet. When you get the newsfeed message that the 3rd Succession War has been ongoing for 100 years, that sort of sends a chill down your spine. And even the Centurion you begin the game with feels immensely powerful and destructive.

Missing features-
- knockdown/ getting knocked down
- Actual Aero Fighters (game only has VTOLs)
- Infantry
- Water maps
- Zero G maps
- Rain?
- Blizzard/ Ice Storm
- Extreme Mountain maps
- Death from Above
- Challenges and Duels
- Duelling/ Solaris missions
- Imaging technology such as infrared and night vision
- Assault on a fortified base missions
- Arm flipping/ Rear firing weapons
- Alternative missile payloads/ ammo

Would have also liked the ability to salvage and build your own Frankenmechs (like the Big Steel Claw in HBS Battletech game). Also would have liked the ability to be awarded a home planet like the Dragoons, Highlanders or Grey Death Legion/ been able to spend money on recreation, furloughs, etc...

deama

Prophet

deama

Prophet
There's actually an official mod that adds infantry.
it's part of an official dlc actually. it adds tiny low definition sprites who do absolutely nothing.
I got the repack with all the dlcs, but that one wasn't there.
I did see the mod for it on nexus though.

I know there are snowy/ arctic biomes but I never encountered actual blizzards or ice storms.
Strange, I remember there being some. Maybe was added in by a recent patch or something.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I made a meme

89m39m.jpg

Latelistener

Arcane
I know there are snowy/ arctic biomes but I never encountered actual blizzards or ice storms.
There is Instant Action mode where you can choose any planet type and any weather you want, including Rain, Ice Storm and Blizzard.

Night Vision is N button. Infrared is added through a mod.

Clans are for MW6.

Cael

Arcane
The Berserker-C3 is 100 tons and has an Axe and TSM. With TSM, though, an Axe is generally redundant as you can punch twice for the Axe's once per turn, doing the same damage but to 2 punch locations instead of 1 normal location. 2x 1/6 chance to headshot is better than 1x 1/36 chance of headshot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom