Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries by Piranha Games - now on Steam and GOG

Latelistener

Arcane
Since Valve has updated the regional pricing I decided to pull the plug. Any good mods for this?
I have a modlist you can use if you like
If you can you can post it here with a short description of what you're using organized by priority.

If it's too big, just a list is fine too.

It's a secret MMO and I already beat it.

To know how the system actually works, you'd have to time down and coordinate all your campaigns, until your credit accrued exceeds the entire Sphere at the earliest point of spacetime.
By installing mods you've already cut yourself out of the competition.
You can also encounter player bands if you're in the same area of actual time.

Bradylama

Arcane
It's simple: if you engage with the game through the co-op mode then it's functionally an MMORPG. The only thing that's missing is player-to-player communications in the field, which should be simple enough to realize because you're already "intercepting" communication packets from opfor.

Latelistener

Arcane
It's simple: if you engage with the game through the co-op mode then it's functionally an MMORPG. The only thing that's missing is player-to-player communications in the field, which should be simple enough to realize because you're already "intercepting" communication packets from opfor.
You're saying that scripted communications that come from AI somehow help them in implementing a voice chat for players? And that will make this game an MMO? Are you aware that friends you invite in this game just replace the roles of bots in your lance and progress works for you alone?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't even know where to start with this.
You do know what the first "M" stands for, right? And what that means for a game's technical infrastructure?
Just because something has rudimentary multiplayer support, doesn't mean it's functionally an MMORPG.
Just because some sound clips are playing to create the illusion of chatter, doesn't mean they are just a step away from having voice chat. Although voice chat really isn't hard to implement if you have co-op working otherwise already.

... are you messing with us here? :lol:

Yosharian

Arcane
Since Valve has updated the regional pricing I decided to pull the plug. Any good mods for this?
If you can you can post it here with a short description of what you're using organized by priority.

yoshmods.jpg

Bradylama

Arcane
You're saying that scripted communications that come from AI somehow help them in implementing a voice chat for players? And that will make this game an MMO? Are you aware that friends you invite in this game just replace the roles of bots in your lance and progress works for you alone?
Uh yeah, of course. Being able to roleplay as Mechwarriors with your lancemates is what makes Mech 5 a role playing game. So long as you can intuitively understand Singlish logo you're set.

Bradylama

Arcane
I don't even know where to start with this.
You do know what the first "M" stands for, right? And what that means for a game's technical infrastructure?
Just because something has rudimentary multiplayer support, doesn't mean it's functionally an MMORPG.
Just because some sound clips are playing to create the illusion of chatter, doesn't mean they are just a step away from having voice chat. Although voice chat really isn't hard to implement if you have co-op working otherwise already.

... are you messing with us here? :lol:
Every new DLC has its content available in the base game if you pay close enough attention. You can get career starts from the Rasalhague Republic, for instance, even without the DLC. What the DLCs really do is unlock more toys to play with, and extends the inner sphere's timeline. That means they've probably got plans for even more modules to flesh out Clanner gameplay once they arrive on the scene. That means power armor, player piloted air & ground vehicles, the whole 9 yards. The skeleton for a fully realized multiplayer galaxy is already there, it just has to be fully realized.

Latelistener

Arcane

yoshmods.jpg
Thanks. That's actually a nice and creative Reshade preset. I don't know yet how playable it will be, but it's interesting what it does.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Unless I'm mistaken, GoG's pricing @ 50% off is:

MW5: Mercs £12.50
Heroes of the Innersphere £8.00
Legend of the Kestral Lancers £8.00
Call to Arms £5.70
Rise of Raelhague £12.00

Total = £46.20 / $55.52

I'm assuming you don't get the hi res backgrounds with the standard edition, so they want you to pay twice as much for the deluxe edition that just adds that and soundtracks. Plus they've added the Mech stats to a £2.00 digital content DLC which was effectively the best part of the original manuals. Gave me a hard on reading the mech stats in the manuals back in the day.

So I was thinking about it...but no.

Edit: £96.80 / $116.33 for a game at full price with all DLCs. I haven't bought a game in years, but this is nuts.

Yosharian

Arcane
Unless I'm mistaken, GoG's pricing @ 50% off is:

MW5: Mercs £12.50
Heroes of the Innersphere £8.00
Legend of the Kestral Lancers £8.00
Call to Arms £5.70
Rise of Raelhague £12.00

Total = £46.20 / $55.52

I'm assuming you don't get the hi res backgrounds with the standard edition, so they want you to pay twice as much for the deluxe edition that just adds that and soundtracks. Plus they've added the Mech stats to a £2.00 digital content DLC which was effectively the best part of the original manuals. Gave me a hard on reading the mech stats in the manuals back in the day.

So I was thinking about it...but no.

Edit: £96.80 / $116.33 for a game at full price with all DLCs. I haven't bought a game in years, but this is nuts.
Just get everything off CDKEYS it's way cheaper, don't pay that much for it

Beowulf

Arcane
Some sims are better with joystics (and I don't mean flight sims) - e.g. controlling tank turrets in Steel Beasts. I haven't played any MechWarrior game in ages, so don't really know what is the recommended setup (and I only had kb +mouse then).

Yosharian

Arcane
Some sims are better with joystics (and I don't mean flight sims) - e.g. controlling tank turrets in Steel Beasts. I haven't played any MechWarrior game in ages, so don't really know what is the recommended setup (and I only had kb +mouse then).
Yes of course, what I'm saying is that this game is closer to an action game than it is to a sim

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm actually in the process of making a music mod for the game right now. Nearly finished with it, took me a while to get to grips with the audio system but I've got it now.

The vanilla music is really fucking bad, and there's not many music mods available right now. Certainly none that are of sufficient quality for me personally.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
VR is gay and HOTAS is a shitty way to play MW5 because it's far more FPS-like than the previous titles. It's designed to be played with a keyboard and mouse.

That aside, I bought the newest DLC since it was on sale. The game has actually improved so much since the initial release that I can finally recommend it. It's no MW2, but they fixed enough of my complaints that it's the second or third best title in the series now. Your AI teammates are actually useful now and the missions are much more manageable because of it. Shit doesn't spawn directly behind you anymore either. They also added a ton of hand crafted missions with the DLC that are both challenging and fun, especially the ones from the newest DLC. As of today, I would rate the game with all of the DLC added as an 8/10.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
VR is gay and HOTAS is a shitty way to play MW5 because it's far more FPS-like than the previous titles. It's designed to be played with a keyboard and mouse.

That aside, I bought the newest DLC since it was on sale. The game has actually improved so much since the initial release that I can finally recommend it. It's no MW2, but they fixed enough of my complaints that it's the second or third best title in the series now. Your AI teammates are actually useful now and the missions are much more manageable because of it. Shit doesn't spawn directly behind you anymore either. They also added a ton of hand crafted missions with the DLC that are both challenging and fun, especially the ones from the newest DLC. As of today, I would rate the game with all of the DLC added as an 8/10.

Which DLC would you say are mandatory? Do all of them add new content to the main campaign or are their stories and content all standalone?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

Which DLC would you say are mandatory? Do all of them add new content to the main campaign or are their stories and content all standalone?
All of the DLC is worth getting except for Call to Arms, which mostly just added melee shit that no one cares about. It also adds a short chain of missions, but I didn't play them. The one that adds the best missions is the newest DLC, Rise of Rasalhague.

These DLC missions will come to you via transmissions you can view from your ship and are optional, though the ones from the Rasalhague DLC show up at certain points in the timeline and must be accepted within a certain time frame or you will miss out on them. I think all of the others can be completed any time after they show up in your transmissions with no time limit. These show up in both of the game modes and are not part of the main story.

I didn't really care about Call to Arms, but I bought it anyway to fund MW6 or whatever the next Mechwarrior game they recently announced ends up being.

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I'll probably buy it because I keep hoping that if I give them enough money, we'll get Mechwarrior 6 and it will be good.

I'm a retard, I know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom