Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries by Piranha Games - now on Steam and GOG

deama

Prophet
This game any good? My experience with mechwarrior is playing a demo to mechwarrior either 3 or 4 back like 15-20 years ago.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
This game any good? My experience with mechwarrior is playing a demo to mechwarrior either 3 or 4 back like 15-20 years ago.
As someone who has had a similar experience with BattleTech - barely any - I'd argue the game is interesting enough for a few dozen hours. It does get repetitive and the AI is weak however.

If you can get it for cheap somewhere and you really enjoy big stompy robits go for it. You can ignore the DLC.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-new-mechwarrior-game-is-coming-in-2024/

A new MechWarrior game is coming in 2024​

Piranha Games president Russ Bullock revealed the existence of the new project during a recent podcast.

More than three years after the release of MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries(opens in new tab), Piranha Games president Russ Bullock has revealed in an interview with the NoGutsNoGalaxy(opens in new tab) podcast that an all-new singleplayer Mechwarrior game is currently in development.

"We're still working on MechWarrior, which has been somewhat surprising to me, that we've been able to work on it this long, which is great," Bullock said. "And everyone knows we have of course DLC 4 coming out for MechWarrior 5.

"And there is another MechWarrior game in development at Piranha. I'll just say that it's not MechWarrior Online 2, it's not the successor to MechWarrior (opens in new tab)Online [which entered open beta in 2012 before releasing in 2013], it's not online PvP—think of it more inline with MechWarrior 5, but a standalone game, a standalone product."

Bullock said the new game will be released for PC and consoles, and will follow "more of a singleplayer co-op type of pathway." There's no indication as to what era the game will be set in, though, or what faction it will focus on, and Bullock warned that the official reveal may not happen until the fall of this year. That leaves us plenty of time for speculation, and off the top of my head (given certain events in MechWarrior 5, which I will not spoil) I feel like something involving the Clan invas(opens in new tab)ion of 3049(opens in new tab) might not be a bad guess.

Bullock also said in the NGNG interview that he's interested in doing a followup to MechWarrior Online as well, but noted that it faces additional challenges, including the need for a license extension: Piranha currently has the rights to the MechWarrior license until 2025, but needs "more runway than that" for a full MWO2.

"You're not going to make a MechWarrior Online 2 if your license is maybe over in 2025," Bullock said. "We'd have to know that we have a minimum of five years once the game is done, so we probably need an extension to 2030."

In an email sent to PC Gamer, Bullock confirmed that the new singleplayer MechWarrior game is targeted for release in 2024. The fourth DLC for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, called Rise of Rasalhague(opens in new tab), is slated to come out on January 26.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The most exciting part is that they might lose the license in 2025. So in two years a more competent dev could get assigned to it by Microsoft. They've been more focused on gaming lately so one could hope.

If they want to do Clans then they basically need a new game, so I guess that's what's happening. IS equipment got buffed so hard in MW5 M that there's not much room to make Clan stuff superior. In some cases there's no room, like how IS endo/ferro already got buffed to take up 0 crits. Pretty hard to do better than that.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
They should've worked on MW5 instead, but I get the feeling that they're generally lazy and not really enthusiastic about the franchise anymore. They're doing MW6 purely for the last cash grab. Then MS will pull the plug and assign someone to make a quick game pass fodder.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-new-mechwarrior-game-is-coming-in-2024/

A new MechWarrior game is coming in 2024​

Piranha Games president Russ Bullock revealed the existence of the new project during a recent podcast.

More than three years after the release of MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries(opens in new tab), Piranha Games president Russ Bullock has revealed in an interview with the NoGutsNoGalaxy(opens in new tab) podcast that an all-new singleplayer Mechwarrior game is currently in development.

"We're still working on MechWarrior, which has been somewhat surprising to me, that we've been able to work on it this long, which is great," Bullock said. "And everyone knows we have of course DLC 4 coming out for MechWarrior 5.

"And there is another MechWarrior game in development at Piranha. I'll just say that it's not MechWarrior Online 2, it's not the successor to MechWarrior (opens in new tab)Online [which entered open beta in 2012 before releasing in 2013], it's not online PvP—think of it more inline with MechWarrior 5, but a standalone game, a standalone product."

Bullock said the new game will be released for PC and consoles, and will follow "more of a singleplayer co-op type of pathway." There's no indication as to what era the game will be set in, though, or what faction it will focus on, and Bullock warned that the official reveal may not happen until the fall of this year. That leaves us plenty of time for speculation, and off the top of my head (given certain events in MechWarrior 5, which I will not spoil) I feel like something involving the Clan invas(opens in new tab)ion of 3049(opens in new tab) might not be a bad guess.

Bullock also said in the NGNG interview that he's interested in doing a followup to MechWarrior Online as well, but noted that it faces additional challenges, including the need for a license extension: Piranha currently has the rights to the MechWarrior license until 2025, but needs "more runway than that" for a full MWO2.

"You're not going to make a MechWarrior Online 2 if your license is maybe over in 2025," Bullock said. "We'd have to know that we have a minimum of five years once the game is done, so we probably need an extension to 2030."

In an email sent to PC Gamer, Bullock confirmed that the new singleplayer MechWarrior game is targeted for release in 2024. The fourth DLC for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, called Rise of Rasalhague(opens in new tab), is slated to come out on January 26.

Where's your commentary at? You said you wanted to ban people that posted youtube links without a commentary. Rules for thee but not for me right?

:nocountryforshitposters:

Latelistener

Arcane
MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries - Game Update Details
Coming Jan 26th
983ef70471c660ed3b205b824d1d7a4505c80c43.jpg

Greetings Mercenaries!

Piranha Games is very excited about the upcoming release of our fourth DLC for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, Rise of Rasalhague. Arriving January 26th, this DLC will also include a Free Game Update that includes a variety of significant improvements to AI performance and behavior, as well as many quality of life improvements that will make the gameplay experience even more enjoyable for our players.

Here are the key features in the Free Game Update:

VARIOUS SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENTS TO AI PERFORMANCE AND BEHAVIOR

• Lancemates will follow issued commands more consistently
  • Lancemates will no longer become unresponsive after ‘Mech switching
  • AI targeting now more consistent
  • AI will fire more frequently
  • AI will fire LRMs more frequently
  • Lancemates no longer get stuck inside the dropship
  • Friendly AI no longer walk through buildings and structures in Defense missions (friendly-fire may still occur with missed weapons fire)
  • Enemy AI will avoid walking through buildings and structures on Demolitions missions
  • AI will no longer walk backwards towards targets for no reason
  • AI will no longer incorrectly overheat when firing weapons that fire multiple projectiles per shot (ie. SRMs)

REDESIGNED 'MECH HANGAR ALLOWING YOU TO EXPAND YOUR ACTIVE 'MECH ROSTER

• Active 'Mech roster now expandable from 12 to 40 'Mech Bays
  • Dropship has four ‘Mechbays
  • Additional active ‘Mechbays may be leased for a quarterly fee per additional ‘Mechbay
  • The first eight additional bays will have their quarterly costs highly subsidized by Interstellar Expeditions
  • You may lease up to 36 additional active ‘Mechbays, for a total of 40 available
  • All ‘Mechs stored in active ‘Mechbays are eligible for mission deployment and receiving repair orders

MANY QUALITY OF LIFE IMPROVEMENTS MAKING THE GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE EVEN MORE ENJOYABLE

• Improvements to the Ready Up UI in Co-op make it easier to see lance ready status
  • Avoid friendly fire with a new audio cue
  • Stay informed with the ability to view details of set work orders
  • Moved Faction info into a separate tab, and condensed the ‘Mech database stats
  • Divided the Star System information on the View Intel screen
  • There's more to see now with Spectators in Co-op mode now able to view mission objectives and the minimap
  • You’ll know they’ve heard with added UI feedback when giving lancemate commands
  • Gain a better understanding with added UI feedback for bonus or reduced negotiation points due to faction reputation
  • Try something new with the added first-person, conventional shooter controls-style mode for gamepad, keyboard and mouse

We're confident that these improvements will enhance the overall gameplay experience, and we’re excited for you to try them out! Thank you for your support, and we’ll continue to listen to your feedback. See you on the battlefield!

The MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Team

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/784080/view/6266229529381192679

The MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Team
What kind of team I wonder. These patch notes look like a one-man job done over a couple of weeks.
Sure would have been nice if the "AI won't destroy buildings it's trying to defend" change was made a couple of weeks after release instead of three years. Three years to teach it to not kill its own buildings. Three fucking years.

What kind of team I wonder. These patch notes look like a one-man job done over a couple of weeks.
also that's stuff you'd expect from a beta at worst, not from... the second expansion? third?

I'm playing this game right now and it is fantastic. With mods.

Without mods it's pretty shit
it's rather shit with mods too. or has there been something new in the last year or two?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think any amount of DLC can save this game, and mods can only cover the deeply rooted issues for so long...

The worst part of the game is the abysmally bad random mission generation.
It's all just random locations on random planets with random enemies at random positions and/or random points in time.

As someone who generally loves procgen and did lots of research into it, it continues to baffle me just how little work they put into it.
There's no logic put into any of that stuff whatsoever, no connection between a single mission and anything surrounding it.
And it becomes so repetitive and so transparent really, really quickly.

Such a damn shame - if any game could've benefitted from a more controlled/thought out random generation, it would've been MechWarrior.

I'll say it's fun in co-op, though.
But that's true for pretty much any game.

Bradylama

Arcane
I'm playing this game right now and it is fantastic. With mods.

Without mods it's pretty shit
If you're playing it with mods then you're missing the whole point of the game. It's a secret MMO and I already beat it.

To know how the system actually works, you'd have to time down and coordinate all your campaigns, until your credit accrued exceeds the entire Sphere at the earliest point of spacetime.

Bradylama

Arcane
What the fuck are you talking about.
I literally told you what the fuck I'm talking about. Don't you know how FTL works in Battletech? C-Bills are energy credits that measure the distance it takes to jump between lightyears. If you're the faction with the most c-bills in the Sphere at the time you're basically running the show. The game will also recognize your imported data from prior campaigns as valid, meaning you can keep accruing credit in the early game and "beat" the timeline.

You can also encounter player bands if you're in the same area of actual time. As you get further along in the campaign and accrue respect, you can also see the canon mercenary groups roaming around and making all the operations in their area extra spicy.

Yosharian

Arcane
But here's the thing, what if I didn't give a flying fuck about any of that and instead am getting tons more enjoyment out of the mods I'm using?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom