Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries by Piranha Games - now on Steam and GOG

yes, weak joke, but there's no mention of fighting, rioting, stealing, bitching or whining, it's just "competence", thus the joke still stands. just look at boeing and its diversity hires.

MjKorz

Educated
Been playing MW5 lately with all the DLCs installed and I have to say: the people who still criticize MW5 for lacking story content and claiming it's all procedurally generated are insane. The game showers you with so many side-story missions it's hard to decide where to travel first, especially when you're trying to finish certain plotlines for the unique rewards before the Kestrel Lancers main content starts and locks you into a 2 year exclusive contract. The arena fights introduced by the Solaris DLC are a nice touch too: now you can make a fortune never leaving an industrial hub, but there's still a massive incentive to explore so that you can do side-story missions for unique 'mech variants and pilots, get rival merc intel for the bounty hunter and do the cantina quests to unlock 'mech upgrades. Overall, I'm having more fun with MW5 than any other MW or mech (or """mech""") game in general with the sole exception of MWO (team-based PVP multiplayer is a whole different level of fun).

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
While the DLC does help a lot with mission variety, the game is still hampered by shoddy AI and samey gameplay.
Higher tonnage is always better. Wanna do a classic Catapult + Raven combo? Forget it.

MjKorz

Educated
While the DLC does help a lot with mission variety, the game is still hampered by shoddy AI and samey gameplay.
Higher tonnage is always better. Wanna do a classic Catapult + Raven combo? Forget it.
Higher tonnage is not always better in this game due to how AI accuracy works: if you go really fast in a light, the AI can't hit shit and you'll have more survivability than the fattest Annihilator or Atlas. You can definitely do the light + lrm boat combo and the Raven gets the ECM suite to debuff AI accuracy despite not being the fastest light. And besides, most missions in the game feature tonnage limits below the 320 ton mark so you can't even bring a full lance of lightest assaults without suffering payuot/salvage penalties. Only the hardest and/or endgame missions allow you to deploy a Steiner scout lance without cosnequences.

Also, I know some people complain about AI being "shoddy" due to its propensity to close the distance with the player ASAP instead of engaging in shootouts at standoff ranges. What these critics don't understand is the fact that AI uses mostly stock mech configs that use a balanced loadout of short, medium and long range weapons, meaning their damage output increases as they get closer, which makes the strategy of closing the distance as fast as possible to start using all of your weapons sound not so insane. Of course, when the AI uses a stock config with predominantly ranged weapons (like stock LRM boats), it tries to stay at extended range instead and will shamelessly backpedal while showering you with lurms.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Higher tonnage is not always better in this game due to how AI accuracy works: if you go really fast in a light, the AI can't hit shit and you'll have more survivability than the fattest Annihilator or Atlas. You can definitely do the light + lrm boat combo and the Raven gets the ECM suite to debuff AI accuracy despite not being the fastest light. And besides, most missions in the game feature tonnage limits below the 320 ton mark so you can't even bring a full lance of lightest assaults without suffering payuot/salvage penalties. Only the hardest and/or endgame missions allow you to deploy a Steiner scout lance without cosnequences.

Also, I know some people complain about AI being "shoddy" due to its propensity to close the distance with the player ASAP instead of engaging in shootouts at standoff ranges. What these critics don't understand is the fact that AI uses mostly stock mech configs that use a balanced loadout of short, medium and long range weapons, meaning their damage output increases as they get closer, which makes the strategy of closing the distance as fast as possible to start using all of your weapons sound not so insane. Of course, when the AI uses a stock config with predominantly ranged weapons (like stock LRM boats), it tries to stay at extended range instead and will shamelessly backpedal while showering you with lurms.
There's a whole guide on how to equip mechs for the AI because it just can't handle certain loadouts. If you go LRM/Light, the AI will always fuck up the mech you're not currently controlling. And yes, I know that higher level pilots act more sensibly, still.

MjKorz

Educated
There's a whole guide on how to equip mechs for the AI because it just can't handle certain loadouts. If you go LRM/Light, the AI will always fuck up the mech you're not currently controlling. And yes, I know that higher level pilots act more sensibly, still.
Never read any guides, but from my experience the AI always tries to prioritize the mech that deals the most damage so if you're playing a light nodamage spotter for your AI-controlled lurmer, it'll just shoot the lurmer as long as its within line of sight. Playing light + lurms is better done in multiplayer when the lurm player can fire from behind obstacles and stay out of enemy line of sight.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Never read any guides, but from my experience the AI always tries to prioritize the mech that deals the most damage so if you're playing a light nodamage spotter for your AI-controlled lurmer
True, and a good point.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2557144161
This is the guide I was referring to. It's old but I doubt the DLC changed much about the AI behavior.

The "Intelligence" has been programmed with a few basic rules that include getting into optimal range for EVERY weapon you give them, running through their assigned weapon groups in order, and not overheating.

MjKorz

Educated
Never read any guides, but from my experience the AI always tries to prioritize the mech that deals the most damage so if you're playing a light nodamage spotter for your AI-controlled lurmer
True, and a good point.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2557144161
This is the guide I was referring to. It's old but I doubt the DLC changed much about the AI behavior.

The "Intelligence" has been programmed with a few basic rules that include getting into optimal range for EVERY weapon you give them, running through their assigned weapon groups in order, and not overheating.
Thanks, that makes sense based from my personal in-game experience. AI treats all weapons as primary offensive ones and the idea of backup weapons doesn't exist to them. I usually get one AI-controlled LRM mech on my team just to create a "balanced" tactically flexible lance, sometimes the AI manages to deal decent damage. Still, seems like piloting lurmer mechs is best left to the player.

MjKorz

Educated
if you go really fast in a light, the AI can't hit shit and you'll have more survivability
not that i know of, no. lighter mechs on heavier missions die in instants.
Are you using chea- I mean *mods*? I did some difficulty 90 raid missions in a Firestarter solo and survived just fine. The Firestater doesn't even go THAT fast. I've seen plenty of people on Youtube doing solo missions in a light mech as well, although their games weren't vanilla.

MjKorz

Educated
no, 100% vanilla, updated few months ago. enemy hit chance is flat.
AI accuracy is definitely not "flat", it is affected dramatically by multiple factors with movement speed being one of them. There was a balance patch released along with one of the DLCs that buffed AI accuracy, but the heavy dependence on target movement speed is still there. The good news is that AI lancemate accuracy was buffed as well.

did they prove it or it's just words on a sheet of paper? because experience shows that bringing lights in heavy missions means losing those lights. the best i can concede is: roll on shooter precision - target dodge and that's it, no other modifier worthy of note. not size nor speed, all the other wingmen, with similar stats (but often even with wildly different levels) take about the same amount of hits.

MjKorz

Educated
did they prove it or it's just words on a sheet of paper? because experience shows that bringing lights in heavy missions means losing those lights. the best i can concede is: roll on shooter precision - target dodge and that's it, no other modifier worthy of note. not size nor speed, all the other wingmen, with similar stats (but often even with wildly different levels) take about the same amount of hits.
I think modders figured it out through datamining. For me, my own practical in-game experience is all I need. Just upgraded the 8x machinegun arena firestarter variant with speed tweak which allows it to go up to 130kph and the AI can barely hit it as long as I don't run into walls. Also fought a free for all light arena match at 97 mission difficulty with an older firestarter that goes only up to 90+kph and the enemies were still missing a huge chunk of their shots. It wouldn't even be possible to win missions like that if the AI hit with 100% precision, I really don't know what game you're playing.

Alternatively, there is also a much simplex explanation as to why you're having problems piloting lights: you're just shit at the game.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane

Well. Here's gameplay. What else did you expect - it's MW5 Mercenaries, with more dakka.

I kind of want Mad Cats to move just a nudge or two faster - seeing a Mad Cat at full run should feel unnerving.

Some Battle-nerds are complaining that Smoke Jaguars shouldn't even have access to Timber Wolfs and Summoners LOL. As if that was ever a possibility for this game kek Be glad if you aren't piloting a star of Kit Foxes and Mist Lynxes for most of the game

Still would be great to see some mechs that aren't the 3050 stock Omnis. Show us some Stone Rhinos, Mongrels and Ebon Jaguars ok?

"Kerensky Bills" LOLOLOL

Last edited:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
That spasmic part where they show the customisation interface is getting me pumped. I love customisation, and I love spasms

Some kind of strategy layer too?

Gumsmith

Educated
Not a fan of this engine, but nice to see aircrafts and actual missions. Feels like a small miracle after the slop presentation of Mercenaries.

Smells of present day writing, talking about ending tyranny and of the facist Kuritan regime in the previous trailer, will be surprised if they don't have a "Maybe we were the real facists all along" moment in the game.

"Kerensky Bills" LOLOLOL
They're just called Kerenskies. Though the number in the trailer probably just means credits of some sort since Kerenskies are only used by the merchant caste. It's not even legal for your guy to possess them.
Smells of present day writing, talking about ending tyranny and of the facist Kuritan regime in the previous trailer, will be surprised if they don't have a "Maybe we were the real facists all along" moment in the game.
That's pretty in character. Crusaders genuinely do see themselves as heroes who are coming to liberate the Inner Sphere. And the DC actually is pretty fascist. That's not to say Smoke Jaguar are any better, but that doesn't stop the DC being awful.
That said, the boss giving briefings is the guy who ordered a city destroyed from orbit, and the trailer even showed off Sabre Cat as what's almost certainly a deliberate HEY THIS IS THE SPACESHIP THAT BLEW UP THAT CITY thing, so the game is probably going to deal with your guy figuring out he's not actually doing good.

Gumsmith

Educated
"Kerensky Bills" LOLOLOL
They're just called Kerenskies. Though the number in the trailer probably just means credits of some sort since Kerenskies are only used by the merchant caste. It's not even legal for your guy to possess them.
That's pretty in character. Crusaders genuinely do see themselves as heroes who are coming to liberate the Inner Sphere. And the DC actually is pretty fascist. That's not to say Smoke Jaguar are any better, but that doesn't stop the DC being awful.
That said, the boss giving briefings is the guy who ordered a city destroyed from orbit, and the trailer even showed off Sabre Cat as what's almost certainly a deliberate HEY THIS IS THE SPACESHIP THAT BLEW UP THAT CITY thing, so the game is probably going to deal with your guy figuring out he's not actually doing good.
It's a fair thing to say but the phrasing is very on the nose. Just feels amateurish. Would a Smoke Jaguar commander even care about the oppression of Spheroid proles?

lightbane

Arcane
Why would clanners know or care about opression when they literally live in an oppresive caste system with no way of improving your station besides birth? The BTech setting is as grimderp as WH40k at times, with few good guys, but some VERY evil guys that are not annihilated because of lore. Ie: Space commies.

Gumsmith

Educated
Why would clanners know or care about opression when they literally live in an oppresive caste system with no way of improving your station besides birth? The BTech setting is as grimderp as WH40k at times, with few good guys, but some VERY evil guys that are not annihilated because of lore. Ie: Space commies.
They could be "liberated" into the superior society but yeah, they're writing it in a 21st century way so the protag can go "noooooo not like this!!1"

I'll laugh if he deserts or does something equally retarded

It's a fair thing to say but the phrasing is very on the nose. Just feels amateurish. Would a Smoke Jaguar commander even care about the oppression of Spheroid proles?
Yeah, their writers just aren't very good in general. Even the neutral generic text for mission descriptions isn't very well written.
Because they think their caste system is good. Everyone thinks they're good. If they thought they were doing things the wrong way then they'd stop and do what they considered right. DC think they're the good guys because the coordinator does deserve to rule everything, and it's wrong for everyone else not to submit. FedSuns think they're the good guys who are bringing freedom to their neighbours by invading them, and if they don't want to be annexed then that's their problem. CapCon think they're good and their state deserves to succeed, and so on and so on for everyone else.
Jags think the caste system is the proper way to organise society so everyone can work towards the common good. You get assigned a job based on what you're good at, you do it, everyone benefits. Much better from their point of view than having people randomly stumble around into positions they might not be good at, or get to be put in charge on the basis of "my dad ruled the planet so now I get to". Again, not saying they're the good guys, but it's reasonable for them to think they're the good guys. Especially since you're playing trueborn warrior caste so your guy gets all the benefits without seeing most of the drawbacks.
Also, as a side not, it is possible to test into a different caste if you're suited for it. There are freeborn warriors. They're not treated as well as trueborn ones but they're still warrior caste with all the privileges that entails. Your life isn't determined entirely by the circumstances of your birth.

lightbane

Arcane
Because they think their caste system is good.
I know, but some of the factions are hard to defend, like the space commies who are evil by design. Or the weaboos with excessive edge.

, it is possible to test into a different caste if you're suited for it.
Huh, I didn't know that one, I thought that wasn't possible. Either way, how many times have they done the clan stuff in games so far?

Yosharian

Arcane
The writing: absolute garbage. Who talks like this? Not fucking clanners that's for sure. This guy sounded like a fucking pussy.

The sound design: embarrassingly bad. The mechs sound like they are toys, and the weapons fire SFX had all the impact of a wet fart.

The music: the usual generic trash that PGI puts out, instantly forgettable.

The visuals: some aspects are 'ok' but mostly the visuals are being carried by the excellent mech design artists that PGI somehow managed to hire, everything else is just mediocre or worse.

This franchise deserves better.

I know, but some of the factions are hard to defend, like the space commies who are evil by design. Or the weaboos with excessive edge.
Well, as long as they're fun to play, right? Or fun to play against. Though I guess a lot of people don't like Clans like that because their stuff is so overpowered. At least the DC are good enemies. Everyone likes shooting them.
Huh, I didn't know that one, I thought that wasn't possible. Either way, how many times have they done the clan stuff in games so far?
It's part of the general testing they do for everyone. Usually you get assigned whatever profession in your caste you're suitable for, but if they think you'd be better off doing a job in another caste then that's that, you're moved. Warriors who fail their trial/trials get kicked into a lower caste too. Though that's a bad thing for them so maybe that doesn't count.
As for games it's just 2, GBL, 3, and the first MechCommander that have a Clan focus. Mechwarrior 2M does and doesn't since they only invade halfway through the game, though obviously they become the big thing once they do show up. Some of the other games have Clan mechs, but only as salvage that's being used by Inner Sphere guys to fight each other. So overall there aren't that many games that focus on them, but they were all consecutive so sometimes it doesn't feel that way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom