Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Men's FO76 Review

Cirtdear

Savant
My review of Fallout 76.

Preface: I haven't played very many games regardless of genre, both singleplayer and multiplayer. I know even less about modern games are capable of. I do consider myself an expert on how badly the original Fallout series has been ignored/copied and how unfulfilling bethesda's games are from a replayability standpoint.

I got 76 out of curiosity and because there was a free trial going. It also helped they added human npcs with Wastelanders.

In total i've played around 20 hours of the game in just a couple days using the free trial through steam. I've never played before and am not certain exactly what content was added by Wastelanders or not. I have not beaten the game.

Fallout 76, as gameplay is concerned, is a modern Fallout Tactics. Instead of recruits from a recruit pool you have perk cards from a card deck you assemble. The game gifts you some extra cards once in while. Similar to how tactics would gift you new recruits.

As you level you get points you can spend on your SPECIAL card slots. The total of these points restrict how many cards you can have in a slot. You can mix different cards (many of which come in different tiers) as long as they match the same stat. It appears you can entirely respec at any time. But you must still invest in the cards you want in the first place by unlocking them after a level up.

Further, from a tactical point of view what 76 lacks in a proper character sheet it makes up for with the return of Fallout 4's crafting system.

SURPRISINGLY Fallout 76 puts Fallout 4 to shame in multiple ways: Its world is far bigger, its level design is far better, and the unexpected point that the quest design is more rpg friendly.

Unlike Fallout 4, not only do you have more things to get involved in but there is a lack of a forced logical order to do them. This results in being able to take an interest in one thing or the other at your leisure. It represents player choice in one way and consequence in another way: the way you choose to feed your progress into your other progress.

It is also apparent because quest chains have now been largely decoupled from each other, the npcs are far lessed forced into some larger plot and have the potential to have more subtlety within their own.

The dialog is better in 76 than some of Bethesdas previous Fallout games. This is likely because background circumstances are broadly more generic. Writers don't need to be as presumptous either and can actually focus just on the characters.

Fallout 76 is still limited like other MMOs. Nor is it the holy grail of online rpgs. It especially does not rise to the sophistication of a singleplayer CRPG. Which is why I began with comparing it to Fallout Tactics despite the fact 76 now has Human NPCs with "dialog trees" and Fallout Tactics does not.

Before I wrap up I want to point out the negatives.
-The overseer from your vault seems to be an implausible and impulsive person with way too many plans.
-Unkillable essential npcs. Bethesda still has not learned not to tease us with npcs that we can't kill.
-Lower levels in a PvP match can easily beat your higher level character. We're talking just a couple fresh out of the vault can destroy your 10+ higher level character.
-No chat system means no coordinating anything. Although the game does provide you a means to join events with others.
-The game will often scale enemy levels way up to match a player's in the area. Do not even try to visit such places if they are much higher than you. I propose some mitigation is necessary here.
-The game will most often spawn level 1s, 6s, and 9s. I don't know why but this has held as true up into my character's 20s.
-Scorched are 1/4 to 1/10 of the time to turnup frozen in place. It ironically helps fill in for the usual standing-burnt-corpses that are everywhere and normally serve that function.
-Rare but annoying when it happens, are invincible enemies. Don't even think about wasting your ammo. You'll get no XP. Usually these are also frozen in place and you can walk away.
-The input system harms an otherwise solid experience. From the customization of your character's appearance, to the strife of needing to pull up your pipboy in an emergency, to having no minimap/radar so you have to pull up a global map constantly, to the confusion over escape or tab key to exit out of a particular menu/gui, to settlement/c.a.m.p- building process being slower now that is is more keypress dependent for navigation.
-After you've been around long enough to get enough MISC category quests they will overflow ontop of your vital AP/health/food indicators.
-It's quite unpleasant if you don't have the caps (currency) to fast travel. You'll be forced to leave your body far behind if you don't have a nearby location discovered.
-The game won't recognize immediately you are no longer encumbered even if you are 5 pounds under your max. It seems to take a few minutes before it registers.
-Too little ammo of the type that matters. I survived but would have liked more use out of my weapons before inevitably switching between them.

Do I recommend buying the game? No. I can't. But you should consider it. Especially if you get it at a discount, need something to do, and don't mind losing 40 to 50 gigabytes of space.

Is it a real Fallout game? I can't say. There's too much left to do. I also can't know for sure without replaying it once.

Last edited:

Citizen

I'm sorry prosper, but you're nitpicking and biased, game's great lol

I rate your review
rating_prosper.png
rating_prosper.png
rating_prosper.png
/
rating_prosper.png
rating_prosper.png
rating_prosper.png
rating_prosper.png
rating_prosper.png

Cirtdear

Savant
I'm sorry prosper, but you're nitpicking and biased, game's great lol

I rate your review
rating_prosper.png
rating_prosper.png
rating_prosper.png
/
rating_prosper.png
rating_prosper.png
rating_prosper.png
rating_prosper.png
rating_prosper.png

Let's not go full retard here. The wowfication and a good theme across a large world has tremendously helped a dumbed down series. I get it, that's a miracle.

But you may call it a great game, a great bethesda game if you want, i'm still not going to pretend it's a classic. I have to beat it and replay it to even feel out those questions.

overly excitable young man

I would want to play that too but it's hard to get into those old, cryptic classics like Fallout 76.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
when the game was announced and they mentioned that original UO devs were supposedly working on it, I was optimistic that this would be a somewhat hardcore pvp sandbox game where you compete in a persistent world for resources, territory, etc.. in a fallout setting.

and there would be all sorts of sick emergent gameplay that would arise from clans of people competing, building massive cities, nuking enemy settlements, fighting for important/limited resource nodes, etc...

THAT would be fucking awesome

THAT is not what F76 is

THAT PISSES ME OFF!
:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Cirtdear

Savant
An addendum to my OP.

As of right now I am quitting the game until Winter.

They didn't fix the quest text blocking your ammo/ap/thirst/food indicators despite their new patch yesterday. Way to impress trial users (of which I am not anymore).
Speaking of trial users, I think they are the ones with the rainbow pride flag icon you see when you access the world map.
I cannot otherwise explain why half of people on the map for the past few days have exact same rainbow icon.
Whatever the reason, I really don't care to have anyone's show of activism overlayed onto my game.

Bethesda/Steam, just don't with that crap. Which leads me into another issue, the value gained/lossed by online-only play.
After the server downtime yesterday (approx 5 hours) I only had enough energy to participate in a few random events
and otherwise try to enjoy the standard gameloop. I got reminded how dull an explore-kill-loot-craft loop can be by itself.

The truth is after putting aside the wastelanders quests and the overseer's quests, you are trapped in a boring part
of what I call the game's matrix. Suddenly all the choices and freedom to do what you want when you want is dominated
purely by the matrix's explore-kill-loot-craft sector.

There three possible solutions.
1) Add TONS of quests every month, distribute them evenly across map. A bruteforce method to keeping people busy.
2) Nearly all quests must become non-linear. Enhancing replayability and thus another method to keep people busy.
3) Add background concerns to the player that aren't materially focused on explore-kill-loot-craft.
We need a thing that is not explore-kill-loot-craft and selects for another thing that is not explore-kill-loot-craft,
YET can influence our decision making where/how/when we explore-kill-loot-craft.

Going by FO76's 2020 roadmap, december should bring daily ops and repeatable missions. These might expand the gameplay matrix enough.
For now my stash is maxing, there's no way to offload weight, I don't want to spoil what's left of the game.

Btw the Responder's Emergency Stash is not a separate stash. It's just yours with a different skin. Also you can't store anything in container objects that aren't your stash.
I tookover a location that has a lockable dumpster. You can only transfer items out of it. I bought the dumpster recipe for 700 caps hoping that would resolve it. It does not. Fuck that.

Dexter

Arcane
They didn't fix the quest text blocking your ammo/ap/thirst/food indicators despite their new patch yesterday.
You can manually disable/deactivate quests you are not actively working on from your Pip-Boy "Data" section or from the map itself by clicking the Quest symbol.

Speaking of trial users, I think they are the ones with the rainbow pride flag icon you see when you access the world map.
I cannot otherwise explain why half of people on the map for the past few days have exact same rainbow icon.
They made the Symbol "Free" in their Atomic Shop, if players click to "Claim" it it's automatically set to the Default icon for the character though, most probably don't even know they have it.

For now my stash is maxing, there's no way to offload weight, I don't want to spoil what's left of the game.
You can craft "Bulk" Steel/Ceramics/Whatever you have too much "Junk" of at your Tinker station, you can sell those at any vendor (for instance the ones at the train station), although a new problem occurs there since they only have a limited amount of caps (per day?) and share those across the map. You can also craft Ammo you need as long as you have enough Lead and Gunpowder since it weighs a lot less than the materials you make it out of and Bulk Aluminium and Lead also weighs 50% less.

Mortmal

Arcane
hardcore pvp sandbox game where you compete in a persistent world for resources, territory, etc..
From a big company, from mainstream developpers , really ? If there's something that will never ever happen its this, seriously its impossible . Unsustainable and will lose most of its player base very quickly. UO was from an era of experiment, pc enthusiasts, and elitist too, unaffordable for most.

Cirtdear

Savant
hardcore pvp sandbox game where you compete in a persistent world for resources, territory, etc..
From a big company, from mainstream developpers , really ? If there's something that will never ever happen its this, seriously its impossible . Unsustainable and will lose most of its player base very quickly. UO was from an era of experiment, pc enthusiasts, and elitist too, unaffordable for most.

All they have to do is expand workshop circle for Fallout 1st members. Something like 4 to 9 times the area should suit most peoples needs. Especially if a bunch of Fallout 1sters get together and connect their tiny cities.
Nukes could be a problem in this case. Either don't let whole cities get nuked or in the time it takes before the nuke hits target code, game to preselect areas that will simply be deleted in the explosion.

Cirtdear

Savant
update: seems you can store things in non-workshop zones. not a very big comfort if you aren't a fallout 1st.

I talked with a player-built protectron and it fell silent for a few seonds, before he and the camp around us disappeared when the player probably logged in and moved servers. Must be what having an hallucination feels like.

They made the Symbol "Free" in their Atomic Shop, if players click to "Claim" it it's automatically set to the Default icon for the character though, most probably don't even know they have it.
Probably, I claimed that and then the responders icon (also free) while browing the shop, then later I noticed I had been using the responders icon.

JDR13

Arcane
SURPRISINGLY Fallout 76 puts Fallout 4 to shame in multiple ways: Its world is far bigger, its level design is far better, and the unexpected point that the quest design is more rpg friendly.

Unlike Fallout 4, not only do you have more things to get involved in but there is a lack of a forced logical order to do them. This results in being able to take an interest in one thing or the other at your leisure. It represents player choice in one way and consequence in another way: the way you choose to feed your progress into your other progress.

It is also apparent because quest chains have now been largely decoupled from each other, the npcs are far lessed forced into some larger plot and have the potential to have more subtlety within their own.

The dialog is better in 76 than some of Bethesdas previous Fallout games. This is likely because background circumstances are broadly more generic. Writers don't need to be as presumptous either and can actually focus just on the characters.

Dude, I don't know what you've been smoking, but it must be some strong shit. 76 is a step backwards from Fallout 4 in most ways, and that's quite an accomplishment considering Fallout 4 was already decline to begin with.

Cirtdear

Savant

Dude, I don't know what you've been smoking, but it must be some strong shit. 76 is a step backwards from Fallout 4 in most ways, and that's quite an accomplishment considering Fallout 4 was already decline to begin with.

Evenly a heavily modded FO4 is small, lifeless, and non-replayable. 76 just disappointed more people before now.
If you did waste your money buying 76 when it first came out then I don't know whether to thank you or blame you.

This game is obviously better than Fallout BOS and stands a good chance of dethroning Fallout Tactics. The only flaw of 76's structure is combat and loot influences player decision making too much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom