Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Max Series Discussion

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I was hoping for a graphically enhanced Metal Saga and this isn't quite it

-You get your tank right away, the main base is a glorified menu town. Story is just "this is the post-apocalypse, go kill the monsters."
-Tank actually controls like a tank. Incline?
-Combat is FF12 style, you just attack stuff via menu combat as you run around, it pauses when your turn comes up though. You can fire shots to start battles and you have to aim manually. Kinda neat but also tedious.
-The town shop seems to have most/all the tank parts and weapons for the whole game. Tank and weapon upgrading are all unlocked from the start. But the prices are so high you have to build everything with spare parts you get from drops, at least at first.
-Enemy variety is lacking a the start, just ants, ants, and more ants.
-Level layout seems pretty linear

jungl

Augur
It is graphically enhanced yo if you force 4k with it on yuzu
unknown.png
unknown.png

So many Japanese games these days getting censored. This isn't worth anywhere near 40 burger clappers.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Probably for the better: https://www.gematsu.com/2022/07/cygames-acquires-metal-max-ip-from-kadokawa-games

Cygames acquires Metal Max IP from Kadokawa Games
"The project to create the best console game starts now."

Cygames has acquired the Metal Max intellectual property from Kadokawa Games, the company announced.

“Cygames has acquired Metal Max-related businesses from Kadokawa and Kadokawa Games,” reads the press release. “As a result, Cygames will take over the Metal Max series intellectual property and related assets. While future Metal Max series developments have yet to be determined, we are committed to creating a new future for the Metal Max series, which has over 30 years of history.”

Metal Max series creator Hiroshi Miyaoka will continue to work on the series as a director at Cygames.

In a statement, Miyaoka said, “Cygames has acquired the rights to Metal Max. I feel that this acquisition will be a great opportunity for the Metal Max series, which celebrated its 30th anniversary last year. As the original creator, I’d first like to thank Kadokawa and Kadokawa Games for their willingness to send [the series] off, and above all Cygames for welcoming it.”

Miyaoka continued, “As a director at Cygames, I, Hiroshi Miyaoka, will be working to reboot the Metal Max series in earnest. We’re currently in the wild ideas stage, but my hope is that the series is reborn in a way that will reach not only Metal Max fans, but the hearts of RPG fans all over the world. Please look forward to it.”

Cygames producer Kenichiro Takaki added, “Metal Max is one of many wonderful games that mesmerized me in my student days. ‘The intellectual property that makes a name for itself in history will be loved and passed down from generation to generation.’ I feel that this is the challenge faced by the entire games industry, as well as the mission of Cygames, which strives to ‘create the best content.’ I’m incredibly honored to be involved with Metal Max, which fate has allowed me to encounter once again. The project to create the best console game starts now. Please look forward to it.”

Platforms and a release date for the new console game have yet to be announced. Visit the teaser website here.

Yeah, Cygames is a mobile gacha game company just got into console/singleplayer games, but probably better than a company like Kadokawa.

Terra

Cipher
Hmmm, do we know what's become of the Metal Saga sequel, Project Wolf, seems to have been silent on that front for a while now.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I forget how I stumbled across Metal Max Xeno Reborn, but when I read the description of it, I was intrigued. Then I when I saw it's pretty cheap for PS4/PS5 ($15 new on Amazon), I couldn't resist picking it up.

I'm really enjoying it, so far. Yes, it feels kind of cheap, but in an endearing way. It's super fun experimenting with different tank builds, and I like how the game mixes up the tank-based gameplay by having you get out and explore dungeons on foot every now and then.

Story is pretty minimal (which I think is different from the original version?), but that doesn't really bother me. I can get kind of annoyed with games which give you novels' worth of text to read when I really would rather just play the damn thing (looking at you, Persona series).

I just unlocked the shortcut to the final boss (at only about 65% extinction level), but he kind of kicked my ass, so I'm going to keep exploring.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Been playing Metal Max 2: Reloaded. Overall a great game.

It feels a little more forced and restrictive in the beginning than MM3. The first major bottleneck is the Grappler tower in the north, the second is killing the U-Shark for the boat. Before that it really feels like the weapon and tank options are limited. I knew I wasn't going to use the buggy, the APC, or any of the motorbikes, so I was saving all my money for later, and I made it unintentionally harder on myself.

Looking back now, I see the Sea Hunter SE was made pretty much to kill the U-Shark, and it's not very expensive, and the Wild Bus is actually awesome. Plus you can buy rental tanks after using them for a bit, there is a rental version of the bus that has 2 engines. Combine that with the affordable car bonus engines in Isla Porta and you can hit 150 tons in the midgame easy. I also didn't realize for way too long you could board multiple people into the same vehicle and then attack with it multiple times. So making a full-party battle-bus w/ 9000 SP that launches SE or Cannon rush 3 times per round is a completely viable strategy.

Terra

Cipher
Spotted a new video for the new Metal Saga The Rebellion of the Wolf Fire on the metal saga reddit.

Terra

Cipher
I don't know any of the finer details of who owns what or who is even working on this, but this is presumably Project Wolf that they were working on for some time, which as far as I know was separate thing to the Wild West game. Metal Saga has always been a separate series as far as I understood it, whether the guys that bought Metal Max IP also bought Saga, I can't say.

deuxhero

Arcane
From what I've heard Metal Saga was made as "Legally Distinct Metal Max" under Success (who is making this) when the IP was in limbo due to Data East's bankruptcy. Since all those issues have sorted out, its now its own separate fork series by different teams (except the composer, who owns the tracks that appear in both) for different owners. It's like Operation Flashpoint and ARMA (if Operation Flashpoint's sequels were good) or Wasteland and Fallout (before MS bought both of them)

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
According the Moby Games, Metal Max creator Hiroshi Miyaoka was 'production assistance' on the original Metal Saga. So he may be tangentially involved.

Still hoping the MM4 translation comes out at some point. I just played through Metal Saga for the first time and now I'm in Metal Max Xeno Reborn.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
now I'm in Metal Max Xeno Reborn
What do you think about it? Are you enjoying it?
I was at first, now I'm kinda bored. It really lacks the panache of the earlier titles. Traveling back to town is instant even if your vehicles are destroyed, and everything gets repaired and resupplied for free. You don't ever have to juggle items between your tanks either, which is nice, but almost too nice, because you're just showered in loot. Fast travel negates all the navigational challenges as well. Tank upgrades are frequent so every time you head back you get some new toys to play with and tweak your loadouts, which is fun. It's also pretty easy. There were only a couple Wanted bosses here or there that were tough in the very beginning.

I know the game was pushed out the door basically unfinished so I'm wasn't expecting a masterpiece.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom