Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro: Last Light

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

anus_pounder

Arcane
Game is a fucking triumph of world building.

Isn't it linear?
Duh. It also has an absolutely excellent world.

Quick question.

Saw your username, and happened to wonder.

You don't happen to be the same :? guy that does game reviews as "FunWithSexbad":
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0E5990397034DDE0
Yes!!!

Last Light is my next video imho

Watched Anna review. Subscribed.'

EDIT: Shit. Forget Anna, watched 'specopstheline' review and then read the comments on the video -"...I'm glad Yager stuck with making the game not fun, even if it made the game mechanics weak as a result.." :lol: Would sub/10 again.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I'm overflowing with ammo and human enemies are even dumber than the last time.

Well, IGN complained so hard about the smart and competent enemy AI in 2033 ("stealth is impossible! stealth is broken!") 4A dumbed it down.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The only thing that pissed me off is the horribly inconsistent performance. I'd get 60FPS throughout the game, then when I look in the direction of a major settlement my FPS drops to <20 for no apparent reason. Even when the settlement is quite far away and doesn't get rendered because I'm still in the tunnels and can't see it yet. Turn around and it jumps back to 60.

The bridge section close to the end of the game was also horrible. Played at around 15FPS throughout that area, meaning that playing stealthily was a bit tricky because everything was lagging. Face the way I was coming from, and normal FPS.

Get the latest patch, really helps performance especially if you are using AMD cards.

Angthoron

Arcane
Game is a fucking triumph of world building.

Isn't it linear?
Duh. It also has an absolutely excellent world.

Quick question.

Saw your username, and happened to wonder.

You don't happen to be the same :? guy that does game reviews as "FunWithSexbad":
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0E5990397034DDE0
Yes!!!

Last Light is my next video imho
Watched Miami and Pathologic reviews. Nice stuff - going to check out more. :bro:

Edit: Watched a few reviews more, and I mostly still agree, but RAGE, man, no, just no. Maybe the shootey parts are good, but they're buried under so much unenjoyable shit that it just kills the game. Some guns felt underwhelming, and the shotgun, no. It still didn't feel satisfying. The only Modern Shooter shotgun that I liked in the recent years if FC3: BD shotgun as it actually is capable of killing things more than 3cm away from you.

Of course, your mileage might vary, and maybe you played on highest difficulty that MAY change the experience somewhat. Also, lack of mention of completely underwhelming boss fights and the complete absence of the endboss replaced with 12 waves of monkey mobs to kill!

Xeon

Augur
Angry Joe just posted his Metro review. You probably want to skip the first 4min.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Of course, your mileage might vary, and maybe you played on highest difficulty that MAY change the experience somewhat. Also, lack of mention of completely underwhelming boss fights and the complete absence of the endboss replaced with 12 waves of monkey mobs to kill!
I played on the third of four available difficulty levels, I think, and it was very fun. Also the shotgun is hella satisfying.

The ending scene is shit, but it's unimportant, because it's just an ending to a game that already established that it has no story. I found it still quite fun to fight the mobs!!!

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I was so impressed with one particular boss fight: instead of simply putting a giant monster and the player into an arena with no context whatsoever, like any standard FPS would do, they actually made the monster behave like real animals in a believable way:

When you fight the bear-like giant monster, the game shows you that the bear monster is trying to protect its young; and during the whole fight, there are wolf/giant-rat-like smaller monsters circling around. Every time you wound the giant bear monster, those wolf monsters would take the chance to attack it. And in the end, it is not the player that finishes the bear monster boss, but the wolf monsters.

The Metro post-apocalyse world has a really believable ecosystem and makes it very clear: the world doesn't revolve around the player protagonist; the player is merely passing through and happens to encounter some of the animals.
Did you know? You can actually save her from the wolf mutants.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was so impressed with one particular boss fight: instead of simply putting a giant monster and the player into an arena with no context whatsoever, like any standard FPS would do, they actually made the monster behave like real animals in a believable way:

When you fight the bear-like giant monster, the game shows you that the bear monster is trying to protect its young; and during the whole fight, there are wolf/giant-rat-like smaller monsters circling around. Every time you wound the giant bear monster, those wolf monsters would take the chance to attack it. And in the end, it is not the player that finishes the bear monster boss, but the wolf monsters.

The Metro post-apocalyse world has a really believable ecosystem and makes it very clear: the world doesn't revolve around the player protagonist; the player is merely passing through and happens to encounter some of the animals.
Did you know? You can actually save her from the wolf mutants.
Really? That's pretty good. Will try it on my next playthrough.

Angthoron

Arcane
I played on the third of four available difficulty levels, I think, and it was very fun. Also the shotgun is hella satisfying.

The ending scene is shit, but it's unimportant, because it's just an ending to a game that already established that it has no story. I found it still quite fun to fight the mobs!!!
Ending scene was so weak I forgot to even mention it. Was that an ending of some sort? Or was it supposed to pave way to DLC? I've no idea.

I don't know. I'd have enjoyed the end battle more if it wasn't essentially a defense against a dozen waves. Being able to move through the base there would've been good - or at least have something a bit more memorable than what we essentially got. I think it was a variety of 3 mobs tops, right?

Oh yeah, and Serious Sam 3 shotgun is good, I agree. Watched that, too.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ending was OK from a story standpoint. It was weak gameplay wise. That's all.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I like the atmosphere (it's fucking Metro after all), some events (aeroplane) and overall story, but fuck me, if the gameplay is not shit diarrhea. I crawled the first communist level in front of their fucking eyes, knocked out one as well 2 meters in front of another.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished the game. My impressions/feelings are mixed:

+++ Metro 2034 bleak world is probably the best looking/sounding/atmospheric post-apocalyptic game-world until now. I would say that on these chapters is better than Fallout3, Stalker or Bioshock.

+ Good-to-great locations. The ruins, the weather effects and all the other details are infusing personality in each one of them. The amount of polished content is staggering and it feels good to explore all this stuff.
+ The story is good but not spectacular. It manages to be interesting for the most part and it doesn't provide free WTF! moments. It's is utilitarian in nature.
+ Mobs which integrate well in the game-world. They hibernate, they roam the place and thanks to the excellent sound design: you always meet them with an tense anticipation feeling.
+ Khan, Dark One, Pavel and even Korbut are well-written characters. And the collaboration with the Dark One was quite entertaining.
+ The weapons have a top-notch design and they feel good as well. Hence the combat game-play feels good.
+ Stealth is viable, but in my case there was something wrong with the AI.
+ Solid performance. No crashes, no glitches.

- The railroad nature of this game is a source of huge frustration throughout the entire game. Is true that the world opens-up a bit in the second half of the game, but the corridor feeling never goes away. Less freedom than in Metro 2033.
- The animations for the mobs are atrocious, some of them can climb the walls (nice touch) but all of them look like shit when they take a u-turn. On the other hand, humans animations are decent even if they touch the uncanny valley.
- I already mentioned stealth as a good point, but the truth is that most of the time it's boring because the hidden paths are embedded in the levels design.
- The protagonist never speaks, even when his quest is to reach a base and inform his superiors. But he speaks in the loading screens (!?)
- Too many pointless cut-scenes. They went overboard with exposition and it doesn't feel good to lose control of the avatar so often.
- Both endings are anti-climactic when compared to the previous game or to the experience until that point. Also it feels rushed towards the end (a couple of somewhat empty maps).

I don't know if the game is full price worthy, but it definitely deserves one play-through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom