Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro: Last Light

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
is that his narration about the need to complete his mission is not explained or explored at the start of the game.

More than once he says to himself in the load screen that he doesn't want to let his commander down and want's to "capture/kill/whatever" the creature, but the background for that drive to complete his orders is not established for a new player that didn't play the previous game.
Well he is a Spartan Ranger. Alhtough not explained in detail, I assume that they are the toughest SOBs in the Metro, who do-not-fail a mission. Plus it is explained in the beginning, that the creature could be very important for the whole metro.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Yeah, they really needed more exposition at the start of the game. If you played the previous game or read the Metro 2033 novel it's perfectly clear but if you're a new player they really toss you in the deep. It really shouldn't have been that hard to explain how things are and how they became like that at the start.

Btw, the rangers are a kind of order that usually was free to travel around and help out whomever with mutants and such. Basically templars fighting for the future of humanity. In the last game you helped find a massive missile bunker that was left unscathed in the war and contains lots of weapons, food, shelter and energy. Basically what every faction in the metro desperately wants as humanity is slowly dying out as it is. So now they're all starting to look at the rangers as opponents and gearing up to take that bunker for themselves. Oh, and the Dark Ones where creatures that seemed to kill people in the first game. If you paid attention you found out they simply wanted to communicate telepatically and help humanity. The game's bad ending in which you wipe them out with a volley of (nuclear?) missiles is the one the devs chose as canon and you start out a few months after doing so. I think the drive of the player character (Artyom) to find the baby mutant is one for closure/redemption and that which of these two it will be will depend on how you play the karma system in this one.

Gord

Arcane
Btw, the rangers are a kind of order that usually was free to travel around and help out whomever with mutants and such. Basically templars fighting for the future of humanity. In the last game you helped find a massive missile bunker that was left unscathed in the war and contains lots of weapons, food, shelter and energy. Basically what every faction in the metro desperately wants as humanity is slowly dying out as it is. So now they're all starting to look at the rangers as opponents and gearing up to take that bunker for themselves. Oh, and the Dark Ones where creatures that seemed to kill people in the first game. If you paid attention you found out they simply wanted to communicate telepatically and help humanity. The game's bad ending in which you wipe them out with a volley of (nuclear?) missiles is the one the devs chose as canon and you start out a few months after doing so. I think the drive of the player character (Artyom) to find the baby mutant is one for closure/redemption and that which of these two it will be will depend on how you play the karma system in this one.

Isn't the (game-)canon ending also the canon ending in the novel?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Isn't the (game-)canon ending also the canon ending in the novel?
Yes it is.

Gord

Arcane
You really want to ruin that for yourself? Oh well.

Yup. Artyom fries them right at the moment he understands them. Ouch.

Ruin what? I've played the first game and from the various stuff I've already read about the game vs. the novel, I doubt this will spoil much more about the novel, either (should I decide to read it one day).
I'm not very worried. ;)

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
This "order" stuff is also explained in the second book, Metro 2034.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...etro-last-light-is-the-triumph-of-an-underdog

Let's be honest: 4A was never playing on a level field. The budget of Last Light is less than some of its competitors spend on cut scenes, a mere 10 percent of the budget of its biggest competitors. Yet it is lauded for its story and atmosphere. It is built on a completely original and proprietary second-generation engine that competes with sequels that have stopped numbering themselves, with more engineers on their tech than 4A has on the entire project. Yet its tech chops are never in question.

And all of this is compounded by the conditions this Ukrainian team works under in Kiev. The entire 4A studio would fit easily in the (underutilized) gym at EA Los Angeles' offices. Yet Last Light's Metacritic score blows away Medal of Honor Warfighter. As undeniably fantastic as competitor BioShock Infinite may be, the team was given whatever resources they needed to make the title. At the same time, 4A's staff sat on folding wedding chairs, literally elbow to elbow at card tables in what looks more like a packed grade school cafeteria than a development studio.

When 4A needed another dev kit, or high-end PC, or whatever, someone from 4A had to fly to the States and sneak it back to the Ukraine in a backpack lest it be "seized" at the border by thieving customs officials. After visiting the team I wanted to buy them Aeron office chairs, considered a fundamental human right in the west. There were no outlets in the Ukraine, and our only option was to pack a truck in Poland and try to find an "expediter" to help bribe its way down to Kiev. We gave up not because this tripled the cost, but because we realized that the wider Aeron chairs would require spreading out people and computers, which would lead to extra desks, and that ultimately would have required bigger offices. Yes, really. [/QUOTE

Holy crap!

Direwolf

Arcane
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...etro-last-light-is-the-triumph-of-an-underdog

Let's be honest: 4A was never playing on a level field. The budget of Last Light is less than some of its competitors spend on cut scenes, a mere 10 percent of the budget of its biggest competitors. Yet it is lauded for its story and atmosphere. It is built on a completely original and proprietary second-generation engine that competes with sequels that have stopped numbering themselves, with more engineers on their tech than 4A has on the entire project. Yet its tech chops are never in question.

And all of this is compounded by the conditions this Ukrainian team works under in Kiev. The entire 4A studio would fit easily in the (underutilized) gym at EA Los Angeles' offices. Yet Last Light's Metacritic score blows away Medal of Honor Warfighter. As undeniably fantastic as competitor BioShock Infinite may be, the team was given whatever resources they needed to make the title. At the same time, 4A's staff sat on folding wedding chairs, literally elbow to elbow at card tables in what looks more like a packed grade school cafeteria than a development studio.

When 4A needed another dev kit, or high-end PC, or whatever, someone from 4A had to fly to the States and sneak it back to the Ukraine in a backpack lest it be "seized" at the border by thieving customs officials. After visiting the team I wanted to buy them Aeron office chairs, considered a fundamental human right in the west. There were no outlets in the Ukraine, and our only option was to pack a truck in Poland and try to find an "expediter" to help bribe its way down to Kiev. We gave up not because this tripled the cost, but because we realized that the wider Aeron chairs would require spreading out people and computers, which would lead to extra desks, and that ultimately would have required bigger offices. Yes, really. [/QUOTE

Holy crap!

Welcome to Ukraine, motherfucker.

Direwolf

Arcane
That article is also full of shit, written by somebody who never actually been to Kiev. You can buy whatever the fuck you need in Kiev, the idea that you can't get some shitty chairs or PCs is retarded.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
That article is also full of shit, written by somebody who never actually been to Kiev. You can buy whatever the fuck you need in Kiev, the idea that you can't get some shitty chairs or PCs is retarded.
By saying "welcome to ukraine, motherfucker" you acknowledged that it is true. You don't have to lie Direwolf, you can tell us the truth about Kiev being the same as Etiopia.

Anyway, the writer just wrote what the ex-THQ boss told him.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So far it's not too bad. Story is a bit derpy, but 2033 didn't win any prizes for story either. I don't quite like some of the new mutants, though.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The best eastern yurop postapoc shooter yet. That's not saying much, but at least I'm enjoying it so far.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...t-reveals-metro-devs-terrible-work-conditions

Rubin also called Metro: Last Light's new publisher Koch Media (aka Deep Silver) a "last minute publisher that doesn't see the upside in doing your team's publicity, [that] will conspire to keep an incredible story hidden."

Aubrey Norris, a current PR rep for Deep Silver, didn't take this accusation lightly. "I love when @Jason_Rubin runs his mouth about things at other companies he knowsnothing about. Solid guy," she tweeted.

Rubin countered that, "A good place to start would be some mention of 4A on the http://enterthemetro.com website."

But Norris pointed out that Deep Silver merely inherited the site from THQ, which never featured the developer's logo to begin with. "We have barely had time to even get publisher logos switched on," she noted.

When Rubin asked if it really takes that long to put up a simple logo she explained, "When you have to find the four different companies involved with the website, and draft agreements, [it does] unfortunately."

Rubin concluded, "I think we know who is 'shooting their mouth off' now. Solid Company. I've made my point."

:salute:

Misconnected

Savant
Rubin: "Please look at me finally doing the job I no longer have. You should totally hire me so I can go back to doing f-all."

Also... Kiev is nothing at all like Ethiopia. Totally different climate & stuffs (and also no particular chair, PC or cheapo office space scarcity).

Direwolf

Arcane
By saying "welcome to ukraine, motherfucker" you acknowledged that it is true. You don't have to lie Direwolf, you can tell us the truth about Kiev being the same as Etiopia.

Anyway, the writer just wrote what the ex-THQ boss told him.

Just really depends what part of Kiev you're in. Some are like Ethiopia, some are like Somalia. It's good. Come visit.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Just finished the game. What an experience! This is linear story-driven "cinematic" game done-right. Even the gratuitous tities don't feel so retarded.

A few levels remind me of STALKER. I imagine if there would ever be a next-gen STALKER, it should look like the outdoor levels, with that amazing wind and rain effect.

This game puts Bioshlock Infinite to shame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom