Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro: Last Light

kazgar

Arcane
You'd have to assume ranger mode will be 'on disc' and probably hacked within 48 hours or something, what would you actually download to make the game harder? New art assets/maps and the like make some actual sense to be an additional download, but a game mode change?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No Ranger Mode, No FOV options, No graphical customization aside from presets and AA = No sale.

Fuck 4A and Deep Silver.
I understand the rage about Ranger mode, but not buying a game because it only has limited customization in the graphics options? Really? Nevermind the great graphics, sound, nice story and good gameplay. Herp-derp, no FOV options, no buy. Trololo, fuck 4A, I'm on the edge!

If you want to pirate it, just do it, but don't make up shitty excuses.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
No Ranger Mode, No FOV options, No graphical customization aside from presets and AA = No sale.

Fuck 4A and Deep Silver.
I understand the rage about Ranger mode, but not buying a game because it only has limited customization in the graphics options? Really? Nevermind the great graphics, sound, nice story and good gameplay. Herp-derp, no FOV options, no buy. Trololo, fuck 4A, I'm on the edge!

Don't worry. The gameplay isn't good this time around. The story was never good.

I pre-ordered it and everything. I've tried a mixture of stealth and combat and both are trivialized. I actually disconnected my keyboard by accident while on a balcony and just began firing on a room teeming with fuckers, and on normal difficulty they mostly hugged the environment taking potshots at me and didn't manage to gun me down even as I was standing still, irl looking for the little keyboard connector thing.

I also just uploaded a video of some stealth. It showcases the enemy AI's ability to detect bodies through concrete and subsequently lock onto that body with no regard for their surroundings.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Fuck 4A and Deep Silver.

Don't worry. The gameplay isn't good this time around. The story was never good.

I pre-ordered it and everything. I've tried a mixture of stealth and combat and both are trivialized. I actually disconnected my keyboard by accident while on a balcony and just began firing on a room teeming with fuckers, and on normal difficulty they mostly hugged the environment taking potshots at me and didn't manage to gun me down even as I was standing still, irl looking for the little keyboard connector thing.

I also just uploaded a video of some stealth. It showcases the enemy AI's ability to detect bodies through concrete and subsequently lock onto that body with no regard for their surroundings.

I played the game and know that the gameplay IS good, and the story is good enough for a FPS.

I actually disconnected my keyboard by accident while on a balcony and just began firing on a room teeming with fuckers, and on normal difficulty they mostly hugged the environment taking potshots at me and didn't manage to gun me down even as I was standing still, irl looking for the little keyboard connector thing.
Nice story. How could you disconnect the keyboard while playing when the plug is at the back of the PC case? I sense some filthy lies here.

Anyway, I wrote that the game is a bit easy on normal, so maybe you should play it on hard.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I played the game and know that the gameplay IS good, and the story is good enough for a FPS.

I actually disconnected my keyboard by accident while on a balcony and just began firing on a room teeming with fuckers, and on normal difficulty they mostly hugged the environment taking potshots at me and didn't manage to gun me down even as I was standing still, irl looking for the little keyboard connector thing.
Nice story. How could you disconnect the keyboard while playing when the plug is at the back of the PC case? I sense some filthy lies here.

Anyway, I wrote that the game is a bit easy on normal, so maybe you should play it on hard.
The keyboard was wireless. The adapter is plugged into a USB socket on the front of the tower. I thought at first that I was just stuck in the level geometry and unable to move for about a minute, and then I realized none of the keys were responding, so I had to take out the adapter and plug it back in.

After my first playthrough I will make sure to do it again in ranger mode. The gunfights would probably improve with less health to spare, but the enemy AI is still noticeably more clunky than in 2033, which is a problem since 2033 tried to emulate untrained teenager enemies. Any clunkier and they just turn into morons.

The stealth has been a joke so far. I actually like the takedowns, since what was and was not a silent kill in 2033 was very ambiguous, but it's not just an instant kill melee attack from any direction. That's the only real improvement, though. I dropped a guy from a catwalk into a room that had two people in it, I think, and it took them considerable effort to notice the body.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
but the enemy AI is still noticeably more clunky than in 2033, which is a problem since 2033 tried to emulate untrained teenager enemies. Any clunkier and they just turn into morons..
Disagree. The AI in 2033 was bad, enemies didn't even notice me sometimes, but they seemed more competent now.

anus_pounder

Arcane

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
The game is a monster. I have a fairly good rig (AMD Phenom II X4, 8 GB RAM, ATI HD6870), but i had to turn off AA, Tessalation and advanced physX to run it well on 1680x1050 with high textrue settings. Although I heared that the game runs worse on ATI cards, since it is one of those NVidida - the way it's meant to be played type of games.

I found something very interesting though. I didn't notice this during my one walkthrough, but it seems that these are the actions, which affect which ending you get:
http://www.gamefront.com/metro-last-light-how-to-get-the-best-ending/

anus_pounder

Arcane
The game is a monster. I have a fairly good rig (AMD Phenom II X4, 8 GB RAM, ATI HD6870), but i had to turn off AA, Tessalation and advanced physX to run it well on 1680x1050 with high textrue settings. Although I heared that the game runs worse on ATI cards, since it is one of those NVidida - the way it's meant to be played type of games.

I found something very interesting though. I didn't notice this during my one walkthrough, but it seems that these are the actions, which affect which ending you get:
http://www.gamefront.com/metro-last-light-how-to-get-the-best-ending/

Fuuu...Alright. Thanks for that. :( So much for 'new' pc.

Gord

Arcane
Heh, I'm running a GTX460, which is a bit slower than a 6870 and so far I don't see much need for a new card either.
Guess when more next-gen ports are around I will have to reconsider, but by then the 7xx or 8xxx cards will hopefully be out.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I'm getting the trial version to see how bad this game turned out to be. The video above proofs that they actually managed to make even worse "stealth" gameplay.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Eh nevermind. The game works just fine on all settings high as long as SSAA is off. Played the first half hour of it, very rail roaded. It makes you feel like you're on the....metro. Will try moar later.

EDIT: Is it my imagination or am I getting some sort of micro-stutter. The game runs smoothly, but it seems a bit off somehow. I dunno. I've turned settings to the lowest possible and I still get them, so I'm not sure if its linked to performance or whatever.

EDIT2: "The very long introductory cinematic that displays a few company names and other unnecessary information. To remove it delete or rename legal.ogv in \Steam\SteamApps\common\Metro Last Light\."

I cannot overstate how important this is.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin

Low FOV gives me headaches and eye-strain.

And no, I'm not going to pirate it. Last time I pirated a game was in 2006 back when Digital Distribution wasn't great.

Edit: And I think it's perfectly ok to skip a game if the PC port is ass.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Eh nevermind. The game works just fine on all settings high as long as SSAA is off. Played the first half hour of it, very rail roaded. It makes you feel like you're on the....metro. Will try moar later.

EDIT: Is it my imagination or am I getting some sort of micro-stutter. The game runs smoothly, but it seems a bit off somehow. I dunno. I've turned settings to the lowest possible and I still get them, so I'm not sure if its linked to performance or whatever.
I never got this, I don't know what could be the problem.

EDIT2: "The very long introductory cinematic that displays a few company names and other unnecessary information. To remove it delete or rename legal.ogv in \Steam\SteamApps\common\Metro Last Light\."

I cannot overstate how important this is.
Thank fuck, those scenes were toooooo long, and I had to watch them every time.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Waiting for this bad boy to load, then playing a bit and deciding if I want to preorder or not.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The reloaded version has ranger mode, which indeed is the way the game should be played. It's actually quite challenging at times and improves stealth (ai respond to noises and doused fires and removed light sources much better) and provides the metro 2033 scarcity of resources. It doesn't even turn the enemies in bullet sponges.

They however assume you already know all the controls. Even the ones not listed in the configuration screen, so perhaps try normal first as a tutorial.

Anyway, enjoying the game. Pre-order remains standing.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So for those who played the first game and aren't expecting some sort of open-world survival game, how do you feel about this one versus the last? The original had great atmosphere and several memorable levels, but the gunplay was very, very poor. Has this been improved at all, or is it just more of the same with better graphics? Any new interesting or fun mechanics or enemies?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
The gunplay feels a lot better now, atleast to me. I like the weapons.

But, the game stutters like hell for me. I could play 2033 in its full glory with all details on, yet Last Light stutters even on low settings overall? :/

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Watched some gameplay videos and it really seems they've improved on the gunplay. Can't speak much to the AI but it seemed on par too.
Game looks better, feels better and plays better too...only thing is, it seemed a lot more linear from what I've seen. Especially the start of the game was a bit too "cinematic" for my taste, what with you being walked around like a retarded kid.
Anyway, as soon as the price drops, I'm gonna give it a try. Should cover all my FPS needs for a long while again.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Watched some gameplay videos and it really seems they've improved on the gunplay. Can't speak much to the AI but it seemed on par too.
Game looks better, feels better and plays better too...only thing is, it seemed a lot more linear from what I've seen. Especially the start of the game was a bit too "cinematic" for my taste, what with you being walked around like a retarded kid.
Anyway, as soon as the price drops, I'm gonna give it a try. Should cover all my FPS needs for a long while again.
The first game was super-linear and also had a lot of more guided and corridor-like sections as well. Did you actually play the original one to compare?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom