Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro: Last Light

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
As for the first game, I would say that is a lousy shooter which delivers massively on atmosphere. That alone makes it better than Stalker (the first one)

fuckthat.jpg

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Seriously bros, I liked Metro 2033, but to say it's better than any of the Stalker games? What the fuck.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Seriously bros, I liked Metro 2033, but to say it's better than any of the Stalker games? What the fuck.

Stalker: Broken world, AI, mechanics, anomalies, stalkers and societies in a barren world. The survival aspect is quite redundant, I had more problems surviving the game than surviving in-game. The only memorable location is the underground labs (great location). But the last third of the game was simply abysmal - railroad shooting for several hours. What the fuck. And in the end: there is one ladder which provides the "better" ending (*C&C*).

Metro 2033: Decent mechanics (stealth is actually viable), lame monsters and animations (except the exceptional Librarian), bursts of mindless shooting. However it got nice weapons, interesting locations (most of them) and more importantly a coagulated story. The game is nowhere perfect (the end is quite a mixed bag), but even a lame tunnel has more "survivalist" charm in Metro 2033 than in Stalker. And this is the reason why I say that Metro 2033 is a better game.

In the end: I was hyped for Stalker and it left my with a sour taste. I started Metro 2033 out of boredom and I was positively surprised. That was my experience.
I don't see the reason to say that Stalker is better just because the design concept is better on paper, when in reality I had more fun with the linear Metro 2033.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Either you've played the first Stalker at release, when it didn't work at all, or you have unbelievably shit taste. Since about half the stuff you mention is demonstrably untrue, I expect the former, and that the disappointment has conditioned you to think negatively of it. Tried replaying it recently? Or maybe Call of Pripyat?

Gerrard

Arcane
I think it's fair to say that it was definitely more polished than SoC.

Except there was less to polish there.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Either you've played the first Stalker at release, when it didn't work at all, or you have unbelievably shit taste. Since about half the stuff you mention is demonstrably untrue, I expect the former, and that the disappointment has conditioned you to think negatively of it. Tried replaying it recently? Or maybe Call of Pripyat?

I think I've played SoC a short time after the release. And unfortunately it was such a mediocre experience I could never go back to play the sequels.

Now we can debate if is correct for me to judge the game based on (1) my actual experience or (2) on a hypothetical better experience? We both know the answer.

Perhaps I have shit taste, the game is shit or the circumstances were not favorable. Right now, it doesn't matter.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In the end: I was hyped for Stalker and it left my with a sour taste. I started Metro 2033 out of boredom and I was positively surprised. That was my experience.

I think that could be a problem, you should put expectations (both good and bad) aside and try to judge the games more objectively.

'X game is shit because I thought it was going to be this or that' doesn't really work.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
ed0bab3614466d19cbdcb6568c267eae.png

Gamers have gotten used to games selling them extra characters, additional weapons and the ability to play the game online. Now, Koch Media, the publisher behind the upcoming Metro: Last Light is trying to sell something most would consider to be integral to the game: hard mode.

In Metro: Last Light, a survival horror shooter known for its difficulty, those who pre-order the game get Ranger Mode. Ranger Mode is described as, "Experience complete immersion. No HUD. Less bullets. Brutal combat. Hardcore. The way it was meant to be played."(emphasis ours). For anyone who doesn't pre-order the game, instead waiting for reviews or word of mouth to inform their decision, the only way to get the mode is to pay $5 for it.

http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/6557/20130511/metro-last-light-pre-order-bonus-stirs-outrage.htm

“Game makers and publishers now live in a world where offering game content as a pre-order exclusive is a requirement by retail, and Ranger Mode seemed like the best choice since it was a mode for hardcore fans who would most likely pre-order the game, or purchase it at launch in any case,” he says. “We rejected requests to make story content or additional missions exclusive. We also rejected requests to make this a timed exclusive.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/10/i...isnt-it-included-for-all-players-we-ask-koch/

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok guys, I've just finished my review copy. 11 hours pure playtime on Normal difficulty. I don't want to write a long ass review here, but I must say that this is an amazing, non-popamole FPS. It has pretty graphics (just to start with the most important XD ), amazing atmosphere, some basic (and useful and working) stealth mechanics, some survivor elements and a nice story. But the game is a beast in terms of system requirements. Although I don't have the latest tech ( I have an AMD X4 Phenom 2 @3,2GHZ, 8 GB RAM and an ATI 6870), but It could ran everything on max settings. But I have to turn off SSAA, tessalation and reduce texture quality to High from Very High in Metro. Good thing that the game still looked great.

Minor spoiler:
I wonder if the game has 2 different endings, because we have to make 2 decisions during the game, whether someone lives or dies.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, Joe is raging over things that has been known since last year. But it is fucked up, I'd like to meet the genius who came up with that idea.

Ok guys, I've just finished my review copy. 11 hours pure playtime on Normal difficulty. I don't want to write a long ass review here, but I must say that this is an amazing, non-popamole FPS. It has pretty graphics (just to start with the most important XD ), amazing atmosphere, some basic (and useful and working) stealth mechanics, some survivor elements and a nice story. But the game is a beast in terms of system requirements. Although I don't have the latest tech ( I have an AMD X4 Phenom 2 @3,2GHZ, 8 GB RAM and an ATI 6870), but It could ran everything on max settings. But I have to turn off SSAA, tessalation and reduce texture quality to High from Very High in Metro. Good thing that the game still looked great.
Thanks for the info, overall good news I see.
Just wondering, is the story in any way directly connected to 2033? If yes, is there any resolution to the mysterious dudes, because in 2033 the ending was kindda vague.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
non-popamole FPS? Explain.
No covermechanics, no spoonfed story, no minimap with hints. Scarce ammunition on hard difficulty. Challanging fights on hard difficulty (normal is a bit easy). No glowing items, places which tell you where can you find stuff. I assume the RAnger mode (fucking 5 dollar DLC), makes the gameplay even more hardcore.
Did you play the original? How do they compare?
Yes I played it. Although my memories are a bit scatchy, I feel that it is on par with it, maybe even a bit better. They improved the AI, which was bad in Metro 2033. You visit a lot of different places both underground and on the surface. And the atmosphere is even better. Seriously there were some places which were horrorish (again, switch to hard difficulty).
Thanks for the info, overall good news I see.
Just wondering, is the story in any way directly connected to 2033? If yes, is there any resolution to the mysterious dudes, because in 2033 the ending was kindda vague.
The story takes places a few days (maybe a couple of weeks) after the first one, and continues Metro 2033. While they don't explain properly that who are the black dudes, one of their kind is the main plot element in Metro Last Light.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ranger mode was the only proper way to play Metro 2033, I guess it's the same with Metro 2034, but... they want more money to make the game an enjoyable experience... that's just fucking evil.

Gerrard

Arcane
Except for the part in which the same patch that added the Ranger difficulties also added the railgun in the 3rd level.

Jashiin

Arcane
That ranger mode dlc puts this easily in never buy even if only 1 dollar territory. Morons.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Matt, how are the weapon sounds? Do they sound good, have some punch and bass behind? Thats what I hated in the prequel... Also, does the english version have an all russian voice over version?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Matt, how are the weapon sounds? Do they sound good, have some punch and bass behind? Thats what I hated in the prequel...
I think they were OK. Although I didn't have a problem with that in the original, so maybe I just don't have an ear for that. Look up some videos on youtube after release, to check it out.

Also, does the english version have an all russian voice over version?
Yep, it has.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom