Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro: Last Light

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
:necro:

Multi-headed Cow

Both of those videos are from 2012! I'm disappointed.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
There is a new trailer and some gameplay footage that came out this month.

Last trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/ifnarw/metro--last-light-quest-for-dominance-trailer

Showcasing a little gameplay and some enviroments and so on:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/j78yuf/metro--last-light-through-the-darkness-walkthrough

Anyway, I'm stoked for this. I absolutely adore Metro 2033 and this seems like pretty much the same thing. Metro 2033 won me over with its atmosphere, its attention to detail and the way it managed to actually portray a world. Even the enemy design is fresh. Monsters that won't attack as long as you keep turned towards them but follow you and try to drive you into a corner? Things that actually travel through tunnels underneath you and attack you when you're not looking? Things that don't like the light and attack you in the back when you've turned it on but come head on when you turn it off? I love the diversity there, and that's without the cool human enemies like bandits, commies and nazis.

The game also lets you explore quite a bit. Most levels follow a path but have either a lot of open space when you go above ground or lots of side tunnels and the like underground. Metro is filled with nooks and crannies to discover and explore. Plus, a game with a 'morality' system so well hidden that most players won't even know it's there does something right in my book.

PS: Those bitching about the stealth always make me lol. Stealth is a bitch in this game. The enemy won't see you in pitch darkness. They will however notice you if you walk over glass, kill someone who screams, have night vision goggles or a lamp on their helmet. Throwing knifes kill instantly. Unless you hit the helmet or armor or a metal object they carry. Then they survive, scream for help and come for you. Firing close to them also makes them aggro. It's WAD and they made it difficult. There are tons of videos on the net of people ghosting through camps. It's just harder as the AI can spot you in a whole lot of ways and immediately alerts everyone when it does. Took me awhile to figure it out but it's really intense and great fun when you can pull it off.

Gerrard

Arcane
The enemy won't see you in pitch darkness.
Until you're "spotted" once. Then you start glowing yellow and can no longer hide.
The stealth is shit.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Until you're "spotted" once. Then you start glowing yellow and can no longer hide.

You need to break line of sight for a considerable amount of time. Plus enemies are hyper alert and those with gadgets like nightvision goggles will have them equipped. Plus they won't return to their standard patrol routes but instead keep actively looking for you. Stealth isn't shit, it's just not as gamey as in other games and therefore a lot harder.

But hey, ofcourse it's not perfect. You can set off a log boobytrap next to a guard and he won't notice it but stand up and take one step and he'll go berserk. Same with letting objects fall over. Guards won't notice a thing even when you do it right at their backs. Step into glass however and they go nuts. Sometimes you can shoot out lamps and they won't notice it even when it happens next to them, other times they immediately go looking for you. It's like the devs attributed audio characteristics for them to respond to but forgot it with certain things.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Seems like they pushed "shut up and watch the scripts" even harder in this one. I liked the first one for 2.5€, shall wait for a similiar sale with the second.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
This reminds me of STALKER, where enemies could be alert to you sneaking around even if you were 100 meters away and completely unseen by them.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
This reminds me of STALKER, where enemies could be alert to you sneaking around even if you were 100 away and completely unseen by them.
:xthe reason I stopped playing stalker.

Stealth is way worse in STALKER, to the point where it's not actually worth it. Metro 2033 is not perfect in that regard but it's obvious they put more effort in it. Also, whiny faggots are whiny. If you'd make stealth a lot easier they'd be bitching about it being "popamole". Even if you'd accomplish impossible task of making it completely realistic, you can be sure people would find something to bitch about.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can't wait to see the second part of this postapocaliptical horror movie game. Russians know how to make game with 90% of action in Metro tunnels which is far away from banal shit boring Washington DC ruins and UG from Fallout 3. :salute:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Stealth is way worse in STALKER, to the point where it's not actually worth it. Metro 2033 is not perfect in that regard but it's obvious they put more effort in it. Also, whiny faggots are whiny. If you'd make stealth a lot easier they'd be bitching about it being "popamole". Even if you'd accomplish impossible task of making it completely realistic, you can be sure people would find something to bitch about.

No people bitch about it because it's shit.

Durr it's difficult for no reason so you must appreciate it idiots. Reloading the game every 2 minutes is everything that matters. Especially considering that it's much easier to simply shoot your way through than crawl and hope that you won't be spotted in a pitch black darkness due to silly LOS in a tight linear corridor with loadscreens every 100m.

Did you play the first one?
I played M2033.

It's Stalker devs wanting to make Call of Duty with monsters.
Heavily scripted linear cinematic shit through and through.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
What pissed me off the most about original Metro is how enemies spotted me through objects and the weapons' arcs of fire/damage felt really off. Oh, and the gas mask gimmick. I was trying to enjoy the gameplay essentials of it, but even Bioshock combat felt better, and that's saying something.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
First Metro was very good for what it was, especially if you got it for a few bucks on Steam (it was on sale all the time).
Those Ruskis definitely can into the atmosphere and it was based on a pretty good book, so the main plot wasn't spawned by some asperger ridden software engineers like in so many games these days.
And although I'm bored sick with FPS (seems it's gonna be a permanent condition) I'll definitely try this out as soon as the price drops to 3 euros again, as it inevitably will.

Jashiin

Arcane
I'm still so butthurt about the utter shit that was risen 2 plus the dlc's that Deep Silver is on the never buy list. Fuck them, they want to play mini EA, then how about mini profits. Can't wait till they topple.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom