Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro: Last Light

Gerrard

Arcane
Another one for the "Will buy for 5 bucks or less" list. Will probably include any and all DLC by the time too.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Same for me. I will wait for it to drop to 2.5€, which shouldn't be long enough.

Dexter

Arcane
metrolastlightasxbk.png

:excellent:

Behelit

Augur
The unique jury rigged and pneumatic weapons.
The ambient noise.
The ammo scarcity.
The desperation of seeking a new mask after a deadly skirmish.
The graphics.
Dat Atmosphere.

I'll probably do a third playthrough.

Last Light, day one buy.

Gerrard

Arcane
The ammo scarcity.
Doesn't exist.
Try NOT BEING SHIT.

E: Actually, on the topic of replacing the gas mask, let's talk about what a shitty, gamey mechanic it was. You can't carry a spare BECAUSE FUCK YOU. I'm so immersed.

MapMan

Arcane
Well, say what you want but I actually liked Metro and it was the first FPS I finished after Crysis... Why? Becuase most importantly they got one thing right: Shooting shit in the game is fun. That's the most important thing about any FPS. In Metro, every single kill was enjoyable and pleasant, unlike for example any of the Bioshock games where fights are boring as shit, weapons have no distinct feel to them and you can't feel the punch. So yeah, the new Metro is probably week 1 not-removing-from-inventory for me.

Behelit

Augur
The ammo scarcity.
Doesn't exist.

Try NOT BEING SHIT.

E: Actually, on the topic of replacing the gas mask, let's talk about what a shitty, gamey mechanic it was. You can't carry a spare BECAUSE FUCK YOU. I'm so immersed.

On my first playthrough on hard, I was scrounging for bullets like a college kid for quarters. Second playthrough on Ranger, no issue and it was because even though I was acquiring less , it took less to put the bastards down. My prior knowledge of which guns to sell at which time helped too. Most importantly I was being more stealthy.

Your point is valid when one plays intelligently but google "Metro 2033 ammo" and tell me what you see.

Having one mask lent the impression one was on the surface of an alien planet despite the juxtaposition of human architecture. Its an environment stressing the psyche with its fierce hostility containing monsters, traps and noxious air that will atrophy your lungs.

"Fuck themes and nuances nigguh, I wunnuh jus shoot deh hitlerite crackuhs numsayen?"

Gerrard

Arcane
When you go to the bullet exchange you can easily notice that the ball bearings are 1:15 while normal bullets are 1:3, despite the fact that the pneumatic rifle (which you can find in 3rd level or something like that, don't even have to buy it) deals just as much damage as a normal gun. The only downside is that you have to pump it. If you spray all the time then of course you will run out.

Having one mask lent the impression one was on the surface of an alien planet despite the juxtaposition of human architecture. Its an environment stressing the psyche with its fierce hostility containing monsters, traps and noxious air that will atrophy your lungs.
It gives the impression that the main character is an idiot and so are the devs. Especially when you see NPCs that have spares.

And don't even get me started on the fact that the whole "HURR the air on the surface is bad" was something the devs of the game added just to have more exposition for that gas mask mechanic, because IMMERSHUN. Except, I wonder where the air in the metro tunnels comes from. Especially with all those holes. And there are multiple times when you are exposed to it without the need for a mask, like in the level where you carry the kid. Now that is immersion breaking.

Fart Master

Savant
Got the original for 2 cents with the THQ Bundle thing. Maybe I'll get around to installing it some day.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Read the books air in metro tunnels is filtered. (which doesn't mean you would need mask after one month of original fallout) Environmental Suits in irradiated places sure. Strange People were not evacuated from Moscow which was primary target and thus surely irritated after the fallout cleared... but you can explain it by federal government being vipped out in Attack. Since when SF has to be 100% scientific and realistic BTW? Fallout and Wasteland anybody?

Gerrard

Arcane
Ignoring the already mentioned holes in the tunnels, it's still filtered after 20 years with no maintenance? And what exactly is supposed to be powering those filtration systems?
This is not scientific, this is common fucking sense.

Tagaziel

Scholar
Read the books air in metro tunnels is filtered. (which doesn't mean you would need mask after one month of original fallout) Environmental Suits in irradiated places sure. Strange People were not evacuated from Moscow which was primary target and thus surely irritated after the fallout cleared... but you can explain it by federal government being vipped out in Attack. Since when SF has to be 100% scientific and realistic BTW? Fallout and Wasteland anybody?

Someone who read the book! :brofist:

As for nuclear fallout, while radioactivity does decay, I think the gas mask are there to prevent general contamination, not just radiation. Moscow's a pretty terrible place, who knows what spores and other toxic crap is blown by the wind through the streets of the city.

Ignoring the already mentioned holes in the tunnels, it's still filtered after 20 years with no maintenance? And what exactly is supposed to be powering those filtration systems?
It's powered by electrical generators inside the metro and maintained by people inside the metro, because they like to breathe. If you read the book instead of asking for spoon feeding exposition in a game based on it, you'd know.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Judging by amount of Mutated life forms Chemical, Biological and other weapons (nanos?) were used so basic protection like gas masks is indeed useful. Filters are maintained (they're Soviet low level tech which is easy to repair) and they're hydro turbines installed. Moscow Metro is Civil defense structure in RL:

Gerrard

Arcane
It's powered by electrical generators inside the metro and maintained by people inside the metro, because they like to breathe. If you read the book instead of asking for spoon feeding exposition in a game based on it, you'd know.
In the game you arrive at a camp that is right next to a gigantic gaping hole to the outside, which doesn't seem to bother anyone so fuck you.

Funny how it's okay for a game to have gaping holes in its world design when it isn't made by Bioware or Bethesda.

Tagaziel

Scholar
You never raised the question of camps being next to holes open to the outside, instead asking an ignorant one about obvious issues that can be answered with about five seconds of mildly intensive pondering:

People live underground
Underground needs filters and power
Filters and power are provided by machines
WHO FIX MACHINE

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I'm clapping like a schizophrenic penguin.

As for the first game, I would say that is a lousy shooter which delivers massively on atmosphere. That alone makes it better than Stalker (the first one) or the Bioshocks (including the retarded Infinity).

Now, I have to pet my Librarian ;)

PS. I know that I praise a linear shooter. Get over it.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Personally I thought Metro had great graphics and good atmosphere in places, but not much else. I remember a lot of boring corridor shooting in tunnels, a stupid section with Nazis or something, and that train ride at the beginning. The best part about the game are the few sections where you go above-ground and fight those flying creatures in frozen-over, ruined Moscow. Still, even then the AI and the actual feel of the guns were both rather poor. Despite being an apparently PC-oriented game, it also suffered from a pretty bad PC version, full of mouse lag and low FOV.

New game looks like a more polished version of the same thing, but with AWESOME BUTTAN takedowns. Big, big meh.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Yeah the first game was in the "nothing special" category imo, except if you like the aesthetics.

Funnily enough, that's how I'd describe Bioshock Infinite too, except I liked post-apocalyptic Moscow more :smug:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I have a soft spot for this game because I really liked the book(s) and felt it captured that feeling pretty nicely. If not for them I probably wouldn't bother with the game.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Yes the atmosphere was quite good at times, well worth playing for that alone, if you like the style. It's not like the rest of the mechanics were shit.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Metro 2033 was cool, I loved the atmosphere and the graphic, but it was too railroaded - too many cutscenes, and in general it was like playing a movie. The first STALKER is still the best game the company ever made and I will hold it in my memory as a good game, even though mechanics (gun handling etc) were mediocre at best. The first stalker had a great atmosphere, realistic abandoned surroundings without any edginess or awesomeness added (but as chestburster said, someone who has never been to eastern europe might not get it) and a good story.

Clear Sky was shit, CoP had a good open world, but the story and quests sucked, there was nothing that would make you want to go one area further. Metro 2033 was much better than CS and CoP, I enjoyed it very much, it was just still very inferior to the Oblivion Lost aka Shadow of Chernobyl.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
1 hit takedowns

this game is massive diarrhea shit. won't even pirate

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom