Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro: Last Light

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
That ranger mode dlc puts this easily in never buy even if only 1 dollar territory. Morons.

Agreed. If any of you must have it, please just steal it. Remember that voting badly with your wallet is commensurate with being an agent of the decline.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Says the guy who puts thousands of dollars into empty promises of "is gunna be gud rpg!11" kickstarter projects.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Oh hey wow, someone participated in crowdfunding projects to a greater degree than the rest of the Codex; therefore, my decision to support AAA publisher douchebaggery (such as withholding features to compel customers into pre-ordering before reviews are printed) is above reproach.

At least have the courtesy to express shame for financially supporting a publisher that embodies such inarguable decline. Unless you're just razzing me and aren't planning on buying it, in which case this ended on a win-win note.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Huh? No, I'll be pirating it as usual, and if I like it I will decide if I buy it or not, just like with every other game. Atleast I don't pretend to be some hipster on the codex "voting with my wallet" as if that would make any difference.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It is a pretty fucked up world

“Game makers and publishers now live in a world where offering game content as a pre-order exclusive is a requirement by retail, and Ranger Mode seemed like the best choice since it was a mode for hardcore fans who would most likely pre-order the game, or purchase it at launch in any case,” he says. “We rejected requests to make story content or additional missions exclusive. We also rejected requests to make this a timed exclusive.”

Oh well, at least they tried to reach acceptable compromise. But for me, the whole "meant for second playthroughs" point fails, since why'd you play an FPS through multiple times this day and age? No point unless the combat encounters are radically different on harder difficulty (Orcs Must Die, for example).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh well, at least they tried to reach acceptable compromise. But for me, the whole "meant for second playthroughs" point fails, since why'd you play an FPS through multiple times this day and age? No point unless the combat encounters are radically different on harder difficulty (Orcs Must Die, for example).
Well it has 2 endings based on a few choices you make. Like Metro 2033.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yeah, but do those choices radically alter the gameplay?

If they don't, then I'd much rather watch the endings from youtube than bother going through the same exact maps and same encounters again.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, but do those choices radically alter the gameplay?

If they don't, then I'd much rather watch the endings from youtube than bother going through the same exact maps and same encounters again.
No, they don't change the gameplay in any way.

Anyway, a game being linear is no excuse for me to only play once, it never was. If a game is very good, I can see myself playing it again. I played The Longest Journey several times, just like MDK, Broken Sword and other linear ones. I like experiencing the story and the atmosphere again. Just like I rewatch a movie or reread a great book in a few years.

As for this game, the Ranger mode will offer a more hardcore experience with its HUD removed, improved AI. I think this warrants another playthrough in the future.

Gord

Arcane
Metro 2033 let you play different routes in a few levels (stealth vs Rambo), which counts as altered gameplay.
The atmosphere was good as well, so nothing wrong with replaying it at least once.

Still a game that was placed firmly in the sub-10€ region, so I don't expect the new one to be much different.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Metro 2033 let you play different routes in a few levels (stealth vs Rambo), which counts as altered gameplay.
The atmosphere was good as well, so nothing wrong with replaying it at least once.
Well stealth has bee improved in Last Light (it is still pretty basic, but the AI reacts to it more realisticly), so now almost every encounter with humans can be done with stealth.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
What about this mask wiping "mechanic", it looked pretty annoying in the trailers, how often do you have to do that while you are on the surface, J_C ?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
What about this mask wiping "mechanic", it looked pretty annoying in the trailers, how often do you have to do that while you are on the surface, J_C ?
Not much. Only of you get a huge hit from a mutant or an explosion and it gets muddy. Otherways, you don't have to bother with it, you can clearly see what's going on. The game didn't even tell me that there is a mechanic like this, I noticed it when accidentaly pushed G for a longer time. But it is a nice little touch.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Pre-ordered it from my local pop and mom gamestore. Meaning a boxed version with all the launch dlc for the regular versions prize. They do that for pretty much every pc release they can and it kinda makes up for the bad taste launch dlc and retailer specific shit provides. Plus I still like boxed versions even when they're a far cry from the awesome boxes and manuals of yore.

Anyway, very excited about this one. Loved Metro 2033 and this looks like more of the same. Gimme gimme gimme.

EDIT: Seriously, do sometimes try and visit local gamestores in your area. They try to compete with all the digital retail shit and big chains by having lots of extras and actions where dlc and so on gets included. Plus, if you pre-order and then decide not to pick it up at launch they won't charge a dime opposed to digital channels and so on. Meaning you can easily side-step that whole pre-order scheme publishers now have going while still getting the best parts of it.

Jashiin

Arcane
Pre-ordered it from my local pop and mom gamestore. Meaning a boxed version with all the launch dlc for the regular versions prize. They do that for pretty much every pc release they can and it kinda makes up for the bad taste launch dlc and retailer specific shit provides. Plus I still like boxed versions even when they're a far cry from the awesome boxes and manuals of yore.

Anyway, very excited about this one. Loved Metro 2033 and this looks like more of the same. Gimme gimme gimme.

EDIT: Seriously, do sometimes try and visit local gamestores in your area. They try to compete with all the digital retail shit and big chains by having lots of extras and actions where dlc and so on gets included. Plus, if you pre-order and then decide not to pick it up at launch they won't charge a dime opposed to digital channels and so on. Meaning you can easily side-step that whole pre-order scheme publishers now have going while still getting the best parts of it.

Always did. Then they went broke :(

DeepOcean

Arcane
You are very lucky, good sir, local stores don't sell PC games for miles and miles from where I live.:(

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The only outlets selling computer games in most of the U.S. now are Wal-Marts, Targets and GameStop, for fairly obvious reasons.

Anyway, in other news, Metro: Last Light confirmed for consolized in addition to pre-purchase shenanigans and no demo:

Metro: Last Light on PC - FOV locked to 70, aim assist enabled with no menu option, basic graphics quality settings, DX9 performance boost

http://blog.pcgamingwiki.com/port-report/1248/port-report-metro-last-light

Borelli

Arcane
Eastern europeans are supposed to be resistant to decline and decadent western way but with this DLC it has gone out of the window and of top of that of all possible DLCs they add a hard difficulty one.:mad: I bet the hard mode is already in you just need to change some file.

You guys do realise first Metro used vertical FOV setting, not horizontal, and likely this one will as well?
*edit* Nvm, just tried actually reading the whole thing. Well, fuck. But no surprise, settings in 2033 were already shit.

Direwolf

Arcane
Looks like it turned into Week 2 Torrent for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom