Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metroid Dread

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Or if you really want a portable console, you could buy a Steam Deck instead and install Yuzu
And you can still buy a legit copy of the game to support it

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Or if you really want a portable console, you could buy a Steam Deck instead and install Yuzu
And you can still buy a legit copy of the game to support it

Sounds like a recipe for spending hours debugging emulator incompatibility nonsense instead of actually playing the fucking game. It's hard enough to get Dolphin working for Wii games on x86_64. God help you getting Switch games to work on your phablet++.

If you want to play some single player Switch game just buy a 2nd hand console + game and then sell both again when you're done. Nintendo games hold their value well, you may even make a profit if there's another lockdown happening by the time you beat the game.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I have no problem get emulators to work (and dolphin is specially easy given how well optimized it is)
Recently I have gotten Mario Odissey to run on my desktop in about half an hour, Yuzu is at a very good point and keeps improving

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have no problem get emulators to work (and dolphin is specially easy given how well optimized it is)
Recently I have gotten Mario Odissey to run on my desktop in about half an hour, Yuzu is at a very good point and keeps improving

"Dolphin just works" is something I've always heard on forums and never known what to think, except that perhaps people are stopping once they get spawned into the opening level or something?

Personally I think Dolphin was near useless until they merged the ubershaders work a couple of years ago. SSBM (to take just one example) was pretty much unplayable until you'd slogged through enough stuttering to get your shader cache populated. Even then there would be messed up visual anomalies semi-regularly. I can't remember when the improved framebuffering emulation was added but that was also essential for a large fraction of games. And BT passthrough is no picnic for most, requiring specific chipsets and considerable hope. I can almost guarantee that if you pick up a random BT USB dongle that it will not work with Dolphin.

So I think there is a long way to go, on Wii emulation particularly. But there is always a selection bias as people who have success talk about it loudly but people who run into weird framebuffer shit they don't understand how to google say nothing much.

Ultimately I rate your suggestion that you will easily get Switch games running to a playable level on a piece of as-yet-unreleased hardware: fabulously optimistic.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Personally I think Dolphin was near useless until they merged the ubershaders work a couple of years ago. SSBM (to take just one example) was pretty much unplayable until you'd slogged through enough stuttering to get your shader cache populated.

Maybe your hardware just sucked dick
A friend and I played the shit out of both Melee and Brawl on Dolphin all the way back in 2012-2014, in my laptop migth I add (I've only acquired my current Desktop back in 2016)
Had mostly no problems as far as I can remember

Ultimately I rate your suggestion that you will easily get Switch games running to a playable level on a piece of as-yet-unreleased hardware: fabulously optimistic.

I literally just said I've been playing Mario Odyssey with no problems on Yuzu

Ivan

Arcane
FAAL0huUcAEnUSM

ADL

Prophet
Nintendo is about fifteen to twenty years behind everyone else on everything. They're just now figuring out how to handle online infrastructure that people are dumb enough to pay for. Give it another twenty years and they might start releasing their stuff on PC.

Nintendo is about fifteen to twenty years behind everyone else on everything. They're just now figuring out how to handle online infrastructure that people are dumb enough to pay for. Give it another twenty years and they might start releasing their stuff on PC.

Sort of. Their online stuff is truly top-tier retarded and indeed just leaving free money on the table, but on the other hand they're the only major publisher to really stick to the "Our first-party games are $60. In five years they will still be $60. Once a year, on our manufacture holiday celebrating our own franchises we will maybe send you a coupon for $5 off." And people keep lapping it up, even though the Switch is by far the weakest piece of hardware on the market, so it's not like they're actively being incentivized to change/innovate in the way they were after the GC or WiiU.

randir14

Augur
Metroid Dread got leaked yesterday. Works fine in Yuzu and Ryujinx other than some missing cutscenes. I've played 7 hours so far and I think it's pretty good, definitely better than the last game Samus Returns. There's a ton of exploration and items to find, and the map seems bigger than any of the other side scrollers in the series.

spekkio

Arcane
I wonder how far switch emulation is
Metroid Dread got leaked yesterday. Works fine in Yuzu and Ryujinx other than some missing cutscenes. I've played 7 hours so far and I think it's pretty good, definitely better than the last game Samus Returns. There's a ton of exploration and items to find, and the map seems bigger than any of the other side scrollers in the series.
Except the missing "FMVs" and "Intro slides", game works fine on both Yuzu:

yoQn1Vn.png

3m1Lzi1.jpeg

And Ryujinx (transfered first save from Yuzu without problems):

FsrD1Bl.png

dfjHRc6.jpeg

:gloriouspcmasterrace:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter

That is good to hear. I found Metroid Samus Returns rather underwhelming.
I rather play Metroid Zero Mission but my reflexes aren't as they used to be any more.

Review embargo for Dread has lifted. Seems to be quite well-received so far with many critics calling it the best of the franchise next to Super Metroid. Can those of you playing it confirm? I’m always skeptical of journos reviewing long dormant beloved franchises.

randir14

Augur
Review embargo for Dread has lifted. Seems to be quite well-received so far with many critics calling it the best of the franchise next to Super Metroid. Can those of you playing it confirm? I’m always skeptical of journos reviewing long dormant beloved franchises.

I think Metroid Prime and AM2R are better. But from what I've played of Dread so far, it's one of the best in the series. One thing I don't like very much is the music, there's almost none of the familiar Metroid themes apart from a few cutscenes. Also the map screen is a clusterfuck, the areas are huge and I'm now stuck zooming and scrolling the map, trying to hunt down any tiny little area I haven't explored yet. There's a way to highlight specific icons (for example various types of locked doors) but it doesn't seem to be working properly because it only highlights some of them. I noticed this when highlighting Super Missile barriers and came across one that wasn't highlighted on the map.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I wonder if someone will try to remade dread in style of zero mission/fusion/am2r kinda like those guys who are working on 2D Prime.
Shouldn't that be past tense? Didn't they get hit with a C&D because of course Nintendo is going to do that?

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

It has probably one of the worst introductions of any Metroid game and starts extremely awkward and linear. It does open up quite quickly though and the new twitch 'riposte' move definitely raises the stakes and subsequently the tension (hunter robots work great to contribute to it as well, despite being easily countered with the formerly mentioned move). Haven't played it for long, but if you're not paying, not really sure why anything jurnos say should bother you, you can always test it out on an emulator (seems that the native resolution is only 720p so Yuzu isn't ideal on a 4K screen, haven't tried Ryujinx yet).

The riposte move isn't new, it was in Metroid: Samus Returns on the 3DS.

I just started playing and I agree that the intro section was pretty cringeworthy, especially with the computer calling Samus "Lady" all the time. I am very skeptical of all the hyperbole comparing this to Super Metroid (especially since I thought the 3DS Metroid was nothing special and these are by the same developers), and I very much doubt any of these game "journos" actually played SM, but in any case it's nice to have a proper original entry in the series after so long.

The game looks alright, runs well (I'm playing in portable mode) but so far there have been too many gameplay interruptions with (short) cutscenes. Probably this is only a thing very early on. Also some of the controls are a little clunky, like holding L and then R and then holding Y and releasing for the gimmick cannon shot, I feel like that could have been shortened by at least one command.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom