Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metroid: Other M

Loki

Educated
So what do you guys think of the Metroid Franchise? It's one of my favorites, one of the only major Ninty franchises that isn't for starry eyed retards.

I am surprised about the upcoming new game:

METROID Other M

^ check out the site. Are they gonna go all emo on us? Samus has always been an entirely masculine figure with almost no dialogue or story to speak of (save for Fusion, which was minimal, hardly any soft emotions, and quite awesome).

What I'm seeing from "other m" reminds me of the corn-ball emo of late Final Fantasy games.

The music playing (which is really quite good) suggests the game is going to try to tug at your heart...which could work out just fine, if the writing is good enough, but I am a little worried this game is going to be full of cringe inducers. The trailer looks kind of gay ("I was so young") but the Art work looks nice, and the story could actually be half interesting.

ever

Scholar
Super Metroid was one of the coolest gaming experiences I ever had.

Ideally games of that nature leave backstory and stuff to imagination but I guess that would mean ppl without an imagination would complain. Oh well

That admiral guy and all that reak of ultra homo japanese stuff so :S

Loki

Educated
ever said:
Super Metroid was one of the coolest gaming experiences I ever had.

yes, one of my favorites as well. I also really like Zero Mission for the advance, and Fusion was pretty good too.

Prime games were very good - really, Metroid franchise has been almost entirely excellent.

The only significant flaw I know of is the one on the DS (which I haven't played, so I don't really know for sure) and the attempts at characterization and story in Prime 3 were pretty garbage, but it was a beautiful game with great controls and game play.

Oh yeah, the first Metroid for NES doesn't count, it was almost a part of the neolithic age of game design, stupidly difficult, but had great ideas.

Loki

Educated
Looks interesting, I'll try it out..

edit: ugh, I'm trying to extract the rom, but it's asking for password. The site doesn't say anything about a password.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Cory said:
The music playing (which is really quite good) suggests the game is going to try to tug at your heart...which could work out just fine, if the writing is good enough, but I am a little worried this game is going to be full of cringe inducers.
:lol: It's being developed by Team Ninja. This game's writing will be on par with a Saturday morning cartoon.

Loki

Educated
:lol:

srsly now, I hear the story is being developed by Yoshio Sakamoto, who isn't terrible. He said that Other M will feature story progression in the same manner as Metroid Fusion, which wasn't bad.

Team Ninja is just doing the programming and 3d modeling.

However, the odds are probably in favor of the story being very childish. I still think I'm going to enjoy it though, regardless.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Cory said:
Looks interesting, I'll try it out..

edit: ugh, I'm trying to extract the rom, but it's asking for password. The site doesn't say anything about a password.

Its in the readme.

"redesign_of_a_classic"

Loki

Educated
ah, there it is, sorry. Try to get this working tomorrow when I get home. Thanks bro.

Athletic, sweaty women in power armors > Muscular, sweaty men with whips

...oh god, I just thought that maybe Dracula enjoys being regularly visited by whip-wielding angry lads. I think I just realized WHAT IS A MAN.

Luzur

Good Sir
ive played the first on NES and that other one on Wii, but the series never really got a grip on me.

Felix

Arcane
Couldn't get into the series despise all the praises and they got.

I dig the metroid games. They're difficult, they're non-linear, and they're just plain fun. Even the Prime games were good, and the first one was pretty damn difficult. They set a great atmosphere, too.

Castlevania also rocks, although they're phoning it in a bit with the DS stuff. They've anime'd it and toned down the difficulty, but the gameplay is still solid.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm not too sure about this, but then again I pretty much only like Metroid 2 and Super Metroid from the whole series.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Castlevania also rocks, although they're phoning it in a bit with the DS stuff. They've anime'd it and toned down the difficulty, but the gameplay is still solid.
Huh? I found Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia to be the most difficult of post-SotN games. OoE in particular was on par with pre-SotN games in terms of difficulty at times.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
KalosKagathos said:
Huh? I found Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia to be the most difficult of post-SotN games. OoE in particular was on par with pre-SotN games in terms of difficulty at times.
I agree, but only because the enemies have too much HP to soak up billions of hits and take half of your health by bumping into you.

Aria of Sorrow is my favorite all around CV but I don't think the series is on the same tier as the original 2D metroids. The first two Prime games had good atmosphere but seriously messed a few things up. I did not like DOA Bewb volleyball or Ninja Gaiden so I am not particularly excited for MOM, even if the action in the trailer looks pretty cool.

Loki

Educated
KalosKagathos said:

OoE was too linear. I don't think the series should stray from the Metroid-esque formula of large map to fill out and back track in, with increases in inventory unlocking new areas. That formula is gold. SOTN is a standard, and any return to a more linear style is a regression.

On a positive note, OoE had great graphics, responsive controls, I like how they invested some soul into the fairly unique combat system, but the actual level design was, overall, pretty weak.

I never played PoR, AoS, or Circle of the moon, been meaning to.

Loki

Educated
Lockkaliber said:
I'm not too sure about this, but then again I pretty much only like Metroid 2 and Super Metroid from the whole series.

You'd probably love the two titles on the GBA. Zero Mission and Fusion are right up there with Super Metroid.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
KalosKagathos said:

Yup. OoE was hellishly difficult. The last secret area especially.

Sirus

Liturgist
i too enjoy wandering around areas looking for power ups so i can wander around new areas

Salus

Novice
When I saw the game play trailer (not the leaked cinematic one) my only worry is that we will basically end up with a 2d styled metroid for movement combined with prime style shooting. Now while that sounded great I'm simply worried about how the transition will work, if it isn't too jarring then it should work out fine but I honestly think this would have worked better on the DS.

Really if this had been done on the DS then the 2d elements could have been handled on the top screen, while the bottom screen could handle the first person elements. Hunters while it did have it's flaws was still enjoyable, though I found that I couldn't play it for too long given the awkward placement your hands were forced into by the control scheme if you used the stylus.

spekkio

Arcane
Sirus said:
I too enjoy wandering around areas looking for power ups so I can wander around new areas

In jRPGs players wander around areas looking for new cutscenes so they can wander around new areas.

In cRPGs players wander around areas looking for new NPCs so they can wander around new areas.

In dungeon crawlers players wander around areas looking for new keys / artifacts so they can wander around new areas.

In FPSes players wander around areas looking for a boss to kill so they can wander around new areas.

In adventure games players wander around areas looking for items / puzzles so they can wander around new areas.

Damn. Welcome to electronic entertainment, BRO!

Loki

Educated
Salus said:
When I saw the game play trailer (not the leaked cinematic one) my only worry is that we will basically end up with a 2d styled metroid for movement combined with prime style shooting. Now while that sounded great I'm simply worried about how the transition will work, if it isn't too jarring then it should work out fine but I honestly think this would have worked better on the DS.

Really if this had been done on the DS then the 2d elements could have been handled on the top screen, while the bottom screen could handle the first person elements. Hunters while it did have it's flaws was still enjoyable, though I found that I couldn't play it for too long given the awkward placement your hands were forced into by the control scheme if you used the stylus.

We might still see something like this on the DS soon. Metroid Dread, a DS title, was supposedly being finished up around the time Prime 3 was released.

A recent comment by Yoshio Sakamoto:

"It's always difficult when people bring up Metroid Dread. The only thing people have heard about the game are rumors. We never had an official announcement at E3 or anything like that. I think there was at one point where a little bit of information leaked, but now we don't know how to really talk about the project. All I can really say is that I wish I could put an end to the rumors! Oh, I'm not denying the existence of any documents that got out. What we're doing right now, we're waiting and watching and reading the comments to see what people are interested in before we make any comment on the project. So please be patient a little while longer." - Metroid producer Yoshio Sakamoto

The logic might be that they need to finish Other M, release it and evaluate it's reception so they can decide on how to modify the content of Dread so it meshes with Other M.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:
Castlevania > Metroid

Castlevania 4, Rondo of Blood, Bloodlines and ReBirth? Sure. The rest are rubbish, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom