Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metroidvanias and RPGs - different genres, similar "game feel"

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Hey @Jinn you played Grime recently, what did you think of it?
Fantastic game, especially as a first project from the team. Definitely more on the RPG side of the genre, with stat increases and optimal use of equipment giving you a good edge against some of the harder bosses. The exploration was great, combat satisfying and varied with an interesting absorb-parry mechanic that sets it apart, challenging but fair platforming sections, unique aesthetic, and an interesting setting drawing it all together. Definitely one of the more enjoyable metroidvanias I've played in a long time. Just finished it up last night.
I remember when it came out that there were some technical issues, how smooth is the current experience?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I finished Axiom Verge, and it did some cool stuff, but it was very combat oriented and felt a bit shallow. Most of the weapons weren't really worth using, ever, and quite a few of the upgrades were glorified keys, from what I remember. I'll give it kudos for being sci-fi instead of fantasy though, and some of the more creative upgrades.

I wish we'd see another game like SotN. Random enemy drops, and just the plethora of equipment and items in general was fun. I don't think any other games have even gotten close to that.

Geckabor

Savant
I tried Grime and on first glance it's pretty cool but now I swear I will never touch a game that has soulslike as a tag or anywhere in the game descriptions, because I really fucking hate the RPG elements that these games bring.

First of all, the 'upgrade system': It's fucking BORING. Upgrading my weapon to +1, +2, etc. is just fucking boring dude. The stats go up, big fucking deal. Please, this game does not have to balance around PVP like Dark Souls unfortunately decided to do. Just let me explore the world and find a cooler, better version of an older weapon, or a completely different style of weapon, instead of one where I can't even tell if it's good if I don't spend my upgrade resources on it.
This shit bleeds into everything: The armours are absolutely fucking boring shit as well. I've stuck with the first armour set I found because the only difference so far is 'do you want +4% hp and +4% stamina or +8% hp?' with a different set bonus that also just adds numbers to one 'perk'.

So with that said, obviously you can imagine that the exploration aspect feels very unsatisfying, which makes the fact that there are miles between checkpoints worse, which sucks because sometimes exploring requires some risk, etc. etc. etc.

I'm sure there are enough people that enjoy or at least don't mind this kind of progression and exploration system, but I really don't enjoy it. Looks like Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night stays the modern gold standard for me.
Are there any more metroidvanias like Bloodstained, then (aside from the classics)?

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
For anyone interested F.I.S.T. is free on Epic now. Played it a year ago, it was a perfectly acceptable metroidvania. Nothing bad or great about it. Above average produkshion valews.

Saldrone

Educated
And I'm not even talking about those Metroidvanias that introduce a lot of RPG elements with levelups and all that - just the plain old Super Metroid clones that have you explore an open world,
You can explore the world in any direction you want,
ehw2u1vbkjja1.png

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Sometimes metroidvania's forget about depth, hidden rooms, and shit. I mean like say there is a barrel, you crawl in, now you're in barrel map section (or it is just a single hidden room. Same goes for doorways in the side scrolling background or fore ground.

You want confusing? Oh

And to a degree Simon's Quest

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I liked the idea of an overland map and side-scrolling. Link was far better than dragon's of flame.

Some notable sorta metroidvania:

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
And....

Wizards & warriors might not be metroidvania but it has some features that would be interesting in one.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Metroidvanias must be a very meh genre on the codex. Still, thinking of just the Castlevania franchise, aren't just about all of the metroidvanias just extended platformers? By that, I mean just a huge one page maze vertical & horizontal no passages or doorways you can enter at the back or front of the screen? Again I think of depth and getting lost (if you can even get lost with those mini-maps).

I'll admit i haven't played all the castlevania or Metroid games and I certainly haven't played but a micro fraction of Indies so I just don't know. I recall Friday the 13th on NES and Nightmare on Elm street and the weird mechanics in those games.

I also recall a few tactical turn-based metroidvanias.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
"Metroidvania" seems like a principle for level design, not a genre

For example Powerslave and Hexen are FPS

ShiningSoldier

Educated
I think "metroidvania" is not a genre. It's like an "immersive sim", or even the "soulslike" - the approach to design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom