Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft acquires Bethesda/Zenimax

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
TES6 won't be $5 month, it will be $50 'gamepass premium' plus $10-15/month subscription.
You actually on the spot here. GamepASS subscription would be divided into various levels: basic one, the cheapest, with some old games and small-budget titles; regular one with higher fee, more recent games, bigger budget titles and niche titles (niche players don't have much choice so they will swallow this); premium one with the biggest fee and all the most recent titles, exclusives and AAA shit. Mark my words, it's a prophecy.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Seeing tons of people in comment sections across the internet ocean blue theorizing that Microsoft will not make "big" games exclusive. Theory is gamepass is more important, get people on Playstation to pay full price or lure them to Xbox with gamepass. "Elder Scrolls makes too much money to remove half the sales." I think this theory is flawed. You don't pay 7.5 BILLION dollars to nudge people, you pay it to have massive hits people can't get anywhere else. Unless Sony literally allows gamepass on their machines, which I doubt, I'd guess after 2021 it's a Microsoft only show for the most part.
Phil Spencer declaration that it will be a case by case scenario pretty much confirms this, some will be multiplatform, some timed exclusives and some will be total exclusives, depending how Microsoft feels about the sales potential of each game, it will be fun watching Playstation fanboys crying when they discover the next popamole garbage from Bethesda are Xbox total exclusives or they will need to wait a year for a port.

I think exclusive content makes sense from the point of view of companies, they paid for it, they do whatever with it but console fanboys defending exclusivity should eat their own shit, consumers defending or even demanding anti consumer choice practices are big dumbasses and Sony fanboys are the biggest dumbasses of the universe, they deserve it. The whole "I want exclusives on my plastic box so I feel special.", yeah dumbasses, paying 300 dollars on another box of plastic to play a few games on it now feels good right?

It will be funny though when Microsoft declare "Well, TES VI is a Xbox total exclusive but dont worry Sony fans, we heard you, and we wont let you down, you can play our discount Elder Scrolls, Avowed that is mutiplatform."

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The stuff people point to with MS not being "greedy" with their exclusives are all very specific cases. Minecraft, which was on every machine already with a particular cultural fanbase they didn't want to neuter. 2D side-scrollers on the Switch, which fits that audience insanely well and the Switch isn't really their competition anyway. PC ports of everything, when Microsoft runs Windows and has an active interest in keeping Windows as the only real gaming platform for PC. This is all very different from buying and outright owning a massive AAA franchise on par with Halo and then porting it to your main competitor's machine. It is not at all the same thing, and I don't know why people are acting like it is.

Gaming and gamers are a bit different though than book or streaming services. Gamers were the first one to adapt any kind of DRM, they care less and less about total ownership. And games are more expensive than other form of medium. I don't like the sound of Gamepass prevailing, but if average joe who just wants to play Skyrim and Halo has to decide between paying 60-70 dollars, or paying 5 dollars a month to play all the games there, I think they will choose the latter.

If Microsoft can put out AAA hits every month and never raise the price then they are set but that is not going to happen. I'll eat my hat. Why did Disney charge extra for Mulan? Why are cable movie channels and on-demand extra?

TES6 won't be $5 month, it will be $50 'gamepass premium' plus $10-15/month subscription. Then the value proposition vanishes but MS hopes you'll see 50 is less than 70 (next gen games getting a hike) and your subscription is a 'sunk cost' so you won't cancel (plus you don't want to lose your back library).
For what it's worth, last time I even heard any news about Disney+ they had lost viewers when The Mandalorian finished airing. I also remember seeing reports of them losing money, I don't know whether the service itself was able to recover or have new people subscribe to it to compensate for the loss of revenue.

This new future of streaming and subscription is definitely something that will dominate the upcoming decades, whether it lasts or not is another topic. Obviously I am not for it but I seem to be in the extreme minority, I'm someone that even criticizes Steam and see that it's negative outweighs the good. I'll probably dedicate my free time to physical hobbies like fishing, hunting and strength training which I already am doing a part of. And even better yet, actually create something for once.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Gaming and gamers are a bit different though than book or streaming services. Gamers were the first one to adapt any kind of DRM, they care less and less about total ownership. And games are more expensive than other form of medium. I don't like the sound of Gamepass prevailing, but if average joe who just wants to play Skyrim and Halo has to decide between paying 60-70 dollars, or paying 5 dollars a month to play all the games there, I think they will choose the latter.

If Microsoft can put out AAA hits every month and never raise the price then they are set but that is not going to happen. I'll eat my hat. Why did Disney charge extra for Mulan? Why are cable movie channels and on-demand extra?

TES6 won't be $5 month, it will be $50 'gamepass premium' plus $10-15/month subscription. Then the value proposition vanishes but MS hopes you'll see 50 is less than 70 (next gen games getting a hike) and your subscription is a 'sunk cost' so you won't cancel (plus you don't want to lose your back library).
For what it's worth, last time I even heard any news about Disney+ they had lost viewers when The Mandalorian finished airing. I also remember seeing reports of them losing money, I don't know whether the service itself was able to recover or have new people subscribe to it to compensate for the loss of revenue.

This new future of streaming and subscription is definitely something that will dominate the upcoming decades, whether it lasts or not is another topic. Obviously I am not for it but I seem to be in the extreme minority, I'm someone that even criticizes Steam and see that it's negative outweighs the good. I'll probably dedicate my free time to physical hobbies like fishing, hunting and strength training which I already am doing a part of. And even better yet, actually create something for once.
To be honest,i don't know if there is a single streaming platform that makes money. Obviously not talking about gaming. The problem with it is,that there are too many of them and feels like a scheme to the customers. Normally you pay the same amount of money for a cable,which comes with 200 channels or something similar. While for those services you only get one channel that doesn't even have that many. Now if there was an option to get access to all the films and shows eva made,like a fucking torrent site,then people would have been more than happy to pay say 15-30 euro per month.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'd guess it'll be easier for stuff like Disney+ to make money overall because the production costs are shared with theater exhibition (assuming it recovers after Covid) and traditional media (disc and digital sales). Netflix has very little of that alternate revenue, and are massively in debt with dramatically more competition than they had before. I think they have a lot to worry about.

That said my wife refuses to cancel Netflix because it's the one everyone at her work watches and talks about and she wants to be "in the know," so... that cultural cache they've built is absolutely worth something.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Todd alone probably accounted for around 5 Billion of that 7.5 billion figure.

And he is worth every cent.

27576.jpg

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
To be honest,i don't know if there is a single streaming platform that makes money. Obviously not talking about gaming. The problem with it is,that there are too many of them and feels like a scheme to the customers. Normally you pay the same amount of money for a cable,which comes with 200 channels or something similar. While for those services you only get one channel that doesn't even have that many. Now if there was an option to get access to all the films and shows eva made,like a fucking torrent site,then people would have been more than happy to pay say 15-30 euro per month.

I have the gaming pass to test Microsoft Flight Simulator (1$ forst month) and will cancel it.

The games in the shop are garbage, the good ones are year old Early Access games that I already own on Steam.

MSFS itself is a console game and the flight sim community is completely pissed off. They even throttle the streaming to ca 0.5MBit/s making the textures look shit. I assume it is way too expensive to deliver streaming so they just cripple it to the bare minimum.

Now they raised the monthly price for game pass basic to 10$, so that everyone who wants to give them a chance gets second thoughts. Gaming with Microsoft is a fucking disaster.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

He made an interesting statement.
Microsoft aren't really competing with Sony at this point, but rather with Steam via the Game Pass.
And future Betheseda, Arkane and Id games will probably be Game Pass exclusives.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Microsoft aren't really competing with Sony at this point, but rather with Steam via the Game Pass.
And future Betheseda, Arkane and Id games will probably be Game Pass exclusives.

He makes good points in his videos, but his blatant bias against Sony and Japan in general puts me off.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I have the gaming pass to test Microsoft Flight Simulator (1$ forst month) and will cancel it.

The games in the shop are garbage, the good ones are year old Early Access games that I already own on Steam.

MSFS itself is a console game and the flight sim community is completely pissed off. They even throttle the streaming to ca 0.5MBit/s making the textures look shit. I assume it is way too expensive to deliver streaming so they just cripple it to the bare minimum.

Now they raised the monthly price for game pass basic to 10$, so that everyone who wants to give them a chance gets second thoughts. Gaming with Microsoft is a fucking disaster.
I didn't elaborate well,i meant twitch streaming. The whole stadia like game streaming is a dead end for now. They lack a targeted market,you can't expect people that can't afford good pc to throw 150 euro a month to play some shitty games lol.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

He makes good points in his videos, but his blatant bias against Sony and Japan in general puts me off.

He is unlikeable skinny bitchy faggot lol.

jerkinoff.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Didn't watch the video, my tolerance for Youtube "intellectuals" is low, but Microsoft just recently started selling all their stuff on Steam so I'm not sure how that vibes. Also Sony is very obviously their competitor, if you examine their behavior in any way. Simply coming in at the $499 price point for the X is a massive signal of competition with Sony.

That said, I agree that Micorosft's main goal long term is Gamepass dominance across a wide variety of platforms and focusing on services. However in the short term they do want console and software sales (and surface sales) very much, and would not be investing the money and time into those things if they did not. Pretty sure they see both as coexisting for a long time, though how long is pure speculation. The Netflix and Spotify transitions for other media happened quite quickly. Still, I doubt we see AAA Gamepass exclusives for quite a while.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
goddammit fanta spoiler your fapfodder I didn't need to see that while eating lunch
Let's not concern ourselves with the question how Fanta became aware of existence of such video in the first place.
I think it's like the third time that he's posted it. He seems very enamored by it and wants to share with everyone.
Yeah,i do dislike the little cumstain and post that shit every time i see a faggot posting his video.

Old willy,mate you are too old to use the internet it seems. Here is the reference material you asked of me in a round about way.

https://encyclopediadramatica.wiki/index.php/XRazorfistx

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Didn't watch the video, my tolerance for Youtube "intellectuals" is low, but Microsoft just recently started selling all their stuff on Steam so I'm not sure how that vibes. Also Sony is very obviously their competitor, if you examine their behavior in any way. Simply coming in at the $499 price point for the X is a massive signal of competition with Sony.

That said, I agree that Micorosft's main goal long term is Gamepass dominance across a wide variety of platforms and focusing on services. However in the short term they do want console and software sales (and surface sales) very much, and would not be investing the money and time into those things if they did not. Pretty sure they see both as coexisting for a long time, though how long is pure speculation. The Netflix and Spotify transitions for other media happened quite quickly. Still, I doubt we see AAA Gamepass exclusives for quite a while.

Or just everything goes to shit right now. If you buy Flight Simulator on Steam you get the same software, even the download is via Microsoft you must only login to Steam and then Microsoft. The ultimate irony was that the download time (10-20 hours for most people) counts as game time, and Steam users had to beg for a refund.

I'm only glad I tested the 1$ option and can now opt out since I see how they fucked us over as beta testers for the XBox and played with our feelings. The whole MSFS/Gamepass campaign is turning out a massive PR desaster and will probably just lead to more decline.

The ultimate disgrace is the throttling of streaming and quality. They promised us quality graphics through streaming and now the textures are crippled at a ridiculous rate, because of course streaming is financially not feasible for them. The strategy is probably to sell more bandwidth as a subscription.

b9g7RLB.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom