Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft acquires Bethesda/Zenimax

lycanwarrior

Scholar
This is completely fucking nuts, btw. The install base for PlayStation 4 was more than double that of XBox for the last generation. Worldwide, PS4 is simply the more popular console.

Do they really think they're going to drive XBox purchases for TES 6? Especially since TES6 isn't slated for a few years, at least? Are they bonkers?

I'm not going to pretend I understand this. It's fucking crazy. It's a money loser and will likely be hugely unpopular. The last time they did this was Morrowind, when nobody gave a shit.

They are sacrificing short-term profit for long-term plan. Aka Gamepass...

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
This is completely fucking nuts, btw. The install base for PlayStation 4 was more than double that of XBox for the last generation. Worldwide, PS4 is simply the more popular console.

Do they really think they're going to drive XBox purchases for TES 6? Especially since TES6 isn't slated for a few years, at least? Are they bonkers?

I'm not going to pretend I understand this. It's fucking crazy. It's a money loser and will likely be hugely unpopular. The last time they did this was Morrowind, when nobody gave a shit.

Is it fuck.

Game will Top steam charts for years, and will shift millions of xboxes -It's still atleast 3 years away anyway. Just in time for the Xbox Series xXx console revision.

They don't give a toss, they're looking to flog shitloads more gamepasses. There's millions of people out there who let subscriptions tick over month after month.

Besides, the whole zenimax purchase was a shot across the bow at soyny in the first place, rumour was they were trying to negotiate Starfall exclusivity. They shut their asses down, pronto.

Yes, they do think they'll drive Xbox purchases with TES6, (and Doom, and Fallout) that's why they payed all that money to buy Bethesda. More specifically it's to drive future subscriptions to Xbox Game Pass, which Microsoft seems to have designs on being something that'll go beyond Microsoft's Xbox console and PC and into rival's systems. I feel like in a few years Microsoft will have Xbox Game Pass on TVs and stuff like people's Roku players.

Also, PS4? While the PS4 still has a larger user base than Microsoft's systems, and developers will still be making stuff for a while for it (there's leaked PS4 games that still haven't even been announced yet) both Microsoft and Sony have moved onto new system they're wanting people to buy.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The PC market is growing. I think when the Xbox was first invented it was still a time of beige steel PCs that were ugly and noisy. And people sat at terrible computer tables, in bad office chairs in the cold spare room or whatever. And people still watched the TV for everything so gaming on the sofa with an Xbox made so much sense back then.

Since then the TV started dying and the PC room has gone a lot nicer with much better chairs and peripherals. And PCs can have windows and lights and look nice. It used to be such a nerds niche thing but now PC is mainstream. Also Steam made things more streamlined. So Xbox market + PC market is huge. I think Bethesda games are killer apps too, they are just so huge.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The PC market is growing.
this lie has been told for two decades and it must stop. pc market is not "growing": it never shrunk in the first place.
koala.png
what? x 1 Infinitron

I don't know if it ever shrunk or not, I'm saying it is growing all the time and it's a lot bigger now than it was when they designed the Xbox. My point is that in 2000, it looked like consoles were becoming enormous and PC was old school. PC's were harder to use and jankier than they are now, and looked like shit, not just Windows but the PC cases themselves and all the gear. And PC gamers themselves were so nerdy. It's a totally different world now.

PC Gaming when they decided on the Xbox:
90s-PC-gamer.jpeg

PC Gaming today:

0bdee1c5f7f89365bce4b4444f3aa81d.jpg

See my point? Xbox's audience is not as good as Playstation but MS have the ever growing PC world too, which is now sexy and cool and has chicks n stuff. Even if one cannibalizes the other it doesn't matter to them. They are dominating, and making exclusives out of Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5 is such a huge blow for the competition. This all sucks for gamers too.

Last edited:
Unwanted

†††

Patron
In 2011 it made sense for some people to buy TES for the consoles. In 2021, people know all the nude mods are PC only.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
this lie has been told for two decades and it must stop. pc market is not "growing": it never shrunk in the first place.
koala.png
what? x 1 Infinitron

I don't know if it ever shrunk or not, I'm saying it is growing all the time and it's a lot bigger now than it was when they designed the Xbox. My point is that in 2000, it looked like consoles were becoming enormous and PC was old school. PC's were harder to use and jankier than they are now, and looked like shit, not just Windows but the PC cases themselves and all the gear. And PC gamers themselves were so nerdy. It's a totally different world now.

PC Gaming when they decided on the Xbox:
90s-PC-gamer.jpeg

PC Gaming today:

0bdee1c5f7f89365bce4b4444f3aa81d.jpg

See my point? Xbox's audience is not as good as Playstation but MS have the ever growing PC world too, which is now sexy and cool and has chicks n stuff. Even if one cannibalizes the other it doesn't matter to them. They are dominating, and making exclusives out of Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5 is such a huge blow for the competition. This all sucks for gamers too.
Horrible viewing distance and angle today compared to the old photo. People really don't know how to set up their gaming PC desk these days.

Codex Year of the Donut

Why would Microsoft care in the least about any of that?
I don't think you guys appreciate just how much money companies like Microsoft make. Skyrim's entire lifetime revenue would just be a tiny blip on Microsoft's annual reports.

RepHope

Savant

Because they don’t give a shit about individual game sales. It’s about getting people into the Xbox ecosystem so that they’re subscribed to Game Pass and sending MS a steady revenue stream.

Codex Year of the Donut

Hobknobling

Learned

Relative to the whole market or in absolute terms?

If the latter, I have a single word for you: CHYNA.
china is entirely mobile gaming dominated due to the ban on video game consoles

image.png

It is true that most of Chinese gaming is done during the 6 hour daily commute to the coal mines, but the Chinese user base for Steam has still grown considerably. Recent political developments decisions have impacted this of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom