Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft acquires Bethesda/Zenimax

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Decado Prestigious Gentleman Old time handsome face wrecker Patron

Decado
    Codex 2014
    This is not unexpected. I'm saying that they'd be crazy to do this with established franchises like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc. These games have install bases across 2-3 consoles, and PC.

What I would expect is Bethesda group studios to start making exclusives for the Xbox/Windows, to use my From Software analogy again. But not exclusively, and not on established properties. Or if they do, kind of like how Monster Hunter has a fucking boatload of games and some are cross platform, some are console specific, etc. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see (for example) a Fallout-themed FPS that is an Xbox exclusive, or something like that. Also, I could see them taking less popular franchises like Dishonored or The Evil Within, and doing something similar.

If I'm wrong I'll buy the Codex a pizza party.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I think you're right about the bigger franchises, at least in the short term.

I could see them pulling exclusivity for bigger franchises in a few years for a new console generation. Good way of forcing people to choose.

^ Top  
  3. FUDU Arcane

FUDU
    Maybe it will be for a limited time. 1/3/6 months.

^ Top  
  4. whydoibother Arcane

whydoibother
    Microsoft just remembered that they make Windows too, and they can have Xbox+Windows as their platform. This way they can claim its totally not exclusive to us, its on multiple platforms!!!1 and avoid industry killing accusations that Sony gets for their exclusives.
    Also, just in general:
    Show Spoiler
    consoles lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Peaceful protest x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. ferratilis Magister

ferratilis
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    https://wccftech.com/phil-spencer-teases-idtech-engine-usage-by-xbox-game-studios/
    Inb4, Obsidian may finally get a good tech for Pillars 3, fingers crossed.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Tech was never the problem with Pillars.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Another competitor to Unity and UE4 is no bad thing tbh.

Though god knows what their licensing would be.

• Peaceful protest Peaceful protest x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Butter Arcane

Butter
    Unity was always a problem.

• Brofist x 2
    • No x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • meh x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. prengle Savant

prengle
    golly gee i just can't wait to digitally upload and transfer an ounce of my nft-verified gay thin covid-free virgin blood to our omnipotent overlord William Gates using Windows Hello™so i can drink my Mountain Dew Verification Can™ and finally play the epic long-awaited Skyrim 2™ on the Microsoft Store™ using the latest and greatest version of the Windows 10™ operating system (this post was brought to you by Microsoft Azure™, the premier flexible, scalable cloud provider that empowers YOUR local Amazon™ warehouse)

• consume product consume product x 3
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Trans-Financial-Man Prophet

Trans-Financial-Man
    I hated Wasteland 2 but quite liked Wasteland 3. I wouldn't mind a return to form isometric RPG Fallout from InXille. Even if it's just a spin off. I'd say bring back MCA but even though those me toos were proven bullshit he seems to have compelled himself to lay on a cross for sins against whores.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    He made the double sin of apologising for something unrelated (which looked like an admission of guilt) and then going silent straight after.

If he'd stayed silent from the start, or stood his ground, he'd have probably have come out less dinged up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Jenkem お前はもう死んでいる Patron Vatnik

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    fucking snoys leave. this is a pc forum.

^ Top  
  16. abija Prophet

abija
    Why exactly do you think idtech is a good fit for that kind of game?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    It's a good graphics engine. Fullstop.

Good tech is something like Unreal Engine.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    This argument has a wrong assumption that Microsoft sees the gaming market the same as game publishers and Sony do. Those companies like Bethesda care about sales because they need them to survive. The only reason why Sony is releasing some of their exclusives on PC is not because they think exclusives are a thing of the past, nope, it is because they dont have infinite money like Microsoft does, so dont expect the same behavior from Microsoft. Microsoft bought those games to serve their platform, not the contrary.

You guise dont understand, see what Phil Spencer said and pay attention, he made that clear, he is more than happy placing those games on PS 5 and switch IF they are a gamepass platform, when he mentions exclusives, he isnt talking of Xbox but gamepass, consoles on themselves arent interesting anymore for Microsoft. However, Sony and Nintendo would be extremely retarded of allowing that, that would mean giving to Microsoft ALL the streaming/game as a service market and basically pushing themselves out of that market, surely Microsoft would love that, problem is that isnt a good deal for either Sony or Nintendo. Sony is building their own game as a service platform and Nintendo as well, they wont allow GamePass on their systems, they arent retarded.

If GamePass becomes the main way Sony or Nintendo users buy their games, they basicaly become hostages to Microsoft. Sure, maybe smaller titles, maybe new Ip like Avowed will end on the PS5 but any game that have a stabilished brand name, forget it. Any title that generates FOMO for gamepass will be exclusive.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    ^ Top  
  19. prengle Savant

prengle
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/z...d-after-xboxs-bethesda-purchase/1100-6488918/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Nephilim Novice

Nephilim
    As far I understood, they fucked up in many ways and deserve to be gone. Zenimax has a worse reputation than Bethesda.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. prengle Savant

prengle
    a lot of the company's management and higher-ups (including pete hines, of course) seem to be alive and well under microshit, they're just shedding off the remaining zenimax board members like les moonves

^ Top  
  22. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

Self-Ejected
    The board members just seem to be people that make money from having a stake in the company and nothing else.

Edit: I just wanted to add that there wasn't likely any drama behind the scenes. I don't know how much the 7.5 billion was split amongst them but I'm sure it was a profit regardless. I doubt they'd want to keep the job once they took the money and ran. Minor formality, you know

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Testownia Guest

Testownia
    Bring back Avellone... why? So he can write his super-special-meta-snowflake character?

^ Top  
  24. Decado Prestigious Gentleman Old time handsome face wrecker Patron

Decado
    Codex 2014
    So I was wrong. They are gonna do this. And it is fucking crazy.

I owe the Codex a pizza party. How do I manage this?

• Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Decado Prestigious Gentleman Old time handsome face wrecker Patron

Decado
    Codex 2014
    This is completely fucking nuts, btw. The install base for PlayStation 4 was more than double that of XBox for the last generation. Worldwide, PS4 is simply the more popular console.

Do they really think they're going to drive XBox purchases for TES 6? Especially since TES6 isn't slated for a few years, at least? Are they bonkers?

I'm not going to pretend I understand this. It's fucking crazy. It's a money loser and will likely be hugely unpopular. The last time they did this was Morrowind, when nobody gave a shit.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.