Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

Caim

Arcane
not inot AAA segment that much
is this good or deperesing?
F8Uk5IGWkAAkqm7
On one hand, monopoly is never good.

On the other, good chance that these games now will appear on game pass, so you can play them without paying $70 for a game you play once.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
not inot AAA segment that much
is this good or deperesing?
I guess it's bad from the standpoint of having one mega-publisher. But all these studios haven't produced anything worthwhile for years. To me, MS acts as some kind of developer studio pensioner home. I doubt much good will get produced before they are dismantled.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Phil Spencer was wearing a Hexen t-shirt on the 2023 Xbox showcase, which I found rather curious. Such things aren't done at random, and Hexen is a weird one to foreground given how long it has been dormant and how it is nowadays only familiar to dedicated retro FPS fans.

My guess: MS doesn't have its big exclusive souls-like whereas Sony has a couple. Hexen has grim dark fantasy setting, exploration of interconnected locales, boss fights, multiple classes to chose from, basic leveling in the case of second game. So one can look at Hexen and see a vintage IP whose name can be used for a major exclusive souls-like.

besides metroid prime and powerslave, any other fps metroidvanias out there?

Supraland comes close.

deuxhero

Arcane
So, all these IPs are now part of the Minecraft Cinematic Universe. Are you guys looking forward to seeing Halo and Diablo references in Fallout, or Minecraft sword in TES6, or how about this: instead of a new Gabriel Knight game, you get him as one of the characters in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. The future is bright, bros.
:negative:
You joke, but Micro Kart would have some fun options. Could have Doom Guy, Master Chief, Steve, Vault Boy, Dagoth Ur, Crash, Spyro, King Graham of Daventry, Laura Bow, and Groove Champion racing through Vvardenfell's Foyadas, the Isle of Hags, the Space Cadet pinball table, the Mayan jungle, and hell itself.

I'm sure MS could figure out how to screw it up though.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh goodie, now you can buy 500 Zorkmids for the low cost of 4.99 and spend them on hints, straight up solutions, or graphics for your boring text game because you cannot imagine apple.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Prices are rising in Brazil, Argentina and Indonesia
  • Call of Duty (2003) – from R$ 34.90 to R$ 91.90
  • Call of Duty 2 – from R$ 34.90 to R$ 91.90
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops – from R$ 79.99 to R$ 184.00
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II – from R$ 109.90 to R$ 274.00
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) – from R$ 34.99 to R$ 91.90
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) – from R$ 249.00 to R$ 274.00
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice – from R$ 199.00 to R$ 274.00
  • Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time – from R$ 179.00 to R$ 184.00
  • Spyro Reignited Trilogy – from R$ 150.00 to R$ 184.00
  • Prototype – from R$ 34.99 to R$ 91.90
  • Prototype 2 – from R$ 79.99 to R$ 184.00
sweet, sweet revenge?

Alex

Arcane
Prices are rising in Brazil, Argentina and Indonesia
  • Call of Duty (2003) – from R$ 34.90 to R$ 91.90
  • Call of Duty 2 – from R$ 34.90 to R$ 91.90
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops – from R$ 79.99 to R$ 184.00
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II – from R$ 109.90 to R$ 274.00
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) – from R$ 34.99 to R$ 91.90
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) – from R$ 249.00 to R$ 274.00
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice – from R$ 199.00 to R$ 274.00
  • Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time – from R$ 179.00 to R$ 184.00
  • Spyro Reignited Trilogy – from R$ 150.00 to R$ 184.00
  • Prototype – from R$ 34.99 to R$ 91.90
  • Prototype 2 – from R$ 79.99 to R$ 184.00
sweet, sweet revenge?
Now those who made that decision will get even more tax from those who buy these products. If anything that is probably what they wanted.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've always thought the Infocom / Sierra adventures would be well suited for VR/holodeck type adaptations one day in the future, probably can just get the AI to do that automatically soon. Good deal for MS.. I remember reading about Ken Williams interactions with Bill Gates, weird how it turned out.

Alex

Arcane
I've always thought the Infocom / Sierra adventures would be well suited for VR/holodeck type adaptations one day in the future, probably can just get the AI to do that automatically soon. Good deal for MS.. I remember reading about Ken Williams interactions with Bill Gates, weird how it turned out.

Yes. I, for one, can't wait to sit in front of my computer and put on a vr helmet to suddenly find myself sitting in front of a much older, virtual computer running Zork.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
These mega-publishers own more franchises than they know what to do with. Indeed, I suspect they don't even know they own most of these. As such, I don't expect they'll do anything with these franchises. It's a stupid waste of perfectly good IPs. This is why we need to reform copyright and reduce copyright lengths so that these will enter the public domain where they belong and fans can revive them in new forms. It's worked out amazingly well for the Cthulhu mythos, hasn't it? Yeah, you have silly social justice takes like "The Litany of Earth" and Lovecraft Country, but those are overshadowed by the stuff that's not trying to force a message.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Source:

This week we have a very special episode with Phil Spencer, the CEO of Gaming at Microsoft, who sits down with us to answer questions about Activision Blizzard King and their teams joining the Xbox family.

00:00 Introduction
01:06 Welcome Activision Blizzard King to the team
03:26 Halo World Championships
07:37 Minecraft Live
09:07 Answering questions about Activision Blizzard King
32:52 What Games Phil's Playing
37:11 Final Thoughts
38:40 Outro

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
I get the impression MS is willing to take more middle budget games to fill out gamepass and give point to Xbox over PS. Certainly better than sacking everyone in the new acquisitions as redundant.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
They've been really pushing the image that Phil Spencer is a man of the people, a gamer like us, haven't hey?

Every PR thing with him has him trying to establish gamer cred.

Hellion

Arcane
I'd be excited at the possibility of a proper new Gabriel Knight game. Normally for a new Quest for Glory too, but if Summer Daze is any indication then the Coles have completely lost "it" by this point. Maybe they'll find it again with a few MS dolla billz.

Then again...

Screenshot_2023-10-18-23-06-31-500_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Ok nevermind forget I said anything.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They've been really pushing the image that Phil Spencer is a man of the people, a gamer like us, haven't hey?

Every PR thing with him has him trying to establish gamer cred.

It's obviously PR, but to be fair, it's hard to explain Microsoft's rescue of inXile after two disastrous releases in a row except by him being an Interplay fanboy.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh goodie, now you can buy 500 Zorkmids for the low cost of 4.99 and spend them on hints, straight up solutions, or graphics for your boring text game because you cannot imagine apple.
would be really funny if that is the reason behind graphics whoring

Ken Williams interactions with Bill Gates
more info plox

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Was Wasteland 3 a flop?

Hard to say since it was a Gamepass title. It has a decent number of reviews on Steam though.

The two disasters I'm referring to are Torment: Tides of Numenera and Bard's Tale IV.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom