Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft Flight Simulator

Data4

Arcane
Game isn't even released but the discussions on Steam are already cracking me up.

People complaining that there are too many Flight Simulator versions, people moaning about the "ridiculous" price which no one can "afford", VR whiners announcing their usual boycott while others call them VR noobs, and of course almost everyone is a real pilot.

If I look at this I almost understand why Microsoft has no respect for gamers and cancels projects all the time.

Here one example. "swisch" a pilot with 20 years flying experience and legasthenia opened a discussion that you cannot fly or land planes without VR ("absolutly nesesary"), and then it goes for 15 pages

As a real Pilot: VR is critical!
I had play Flight Sims 20 years ago. But after ive played with Ocolus Quest and Valve Index, the DCS I can say:

THE FEELING FOR 3 DIMENSIONS IS NESESARY!

Absolutly mission critical.

You cant simulate a plane and fly or landing without VR!!!

Absolutly impossible!

Apparently microsoft has not yet locked threads or deleted dumb comments, that's why it totally went south within the first days.

I've been playing the MS Flight Sims for probably the longest of all my gaming, having started with 4.0 back in the stone age. One universal thing in all that time is how dickish real pilots are in their criticism of it. Fuck, just go out and fly for real then! Every time I see a post on any of the simming sites that starts with "As a real pilot..." I keep on scrolling.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Those people I was talking about are not actual pilots though.

swisch is still trolling the shit out of Microsofts normie forum. Quite a few others have been outright banned, and well deserved by the way.

Edit (swisch was banned too :lol: )

Burning Bridges

Those big airliners in Flight Simulator don't do it for me yet. It maybe just me, but the differences to other flight sims only really come to light when you are low, and the interiors are rather simplistic.

It's understandable though, really complex airliners are in the 100$ range and with PMDG will soon reach 200$. So 2 fully functional airliners in the basic package are a nice bonus.

Burning Bridges

A few days from release more and more videos surface showing the various fails of photogrammetry, for example Niagara falls or gigantic trees.

There is also no exact collision detection, so you cannot fly under the tower bridge (you will collide with an invisible wall).

But all the same, I changed my mind about this sim. The worldwide photogrammetric data is going to be a milestone in computer history, even with the many predictable issues. It's going to be the first time in history we are able to fly (almost) anywhere and see realistic terrain and even individual buildings. Not long ago this was unimaginable and only possible because the concept of Petabytes enters our life.

Burning Bridges

Man, I still have my 1070Ti, and while it's been serving me really well so far, it may just be time to finally take the plunge and upgrade to a 2080... Will have to wait and see, but Quill18 is using a 1080 and getting some decent visuals and framerate, so who knows, maybe the ol' 1070 still has some life in it.

I think the GPU is not the main issue, at least if you use a 1080p monitor. The CPU should also be only a minor problem because it seems to use all cores (most videos show 20-50% on multiple cores which is ecnouraging)

What is more of a concern is RAM. While most people reported slightly under 16 GB to run HIGH, it is quite close. And with 3rd party planes we can kiss 16GB goodbye.

On the other hand, some nasty people are expecting a flood of cheap second hand flight sticks, rudders and throttles in the wake of the release, because quite a few users will make such investments and quickly realize that flight sims are "boring".

The game isn't even out and people are already discussing this :lol:

The Steam forum is also a constant source of amusement, lots of kids posting absolutely bizzare assertions. And MS makes no effort to delete postings, only banning certain people when it becomes too obvious they are trying to create drama, then unbanning them after 3 days and banning them again and so on.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just deleted bunch of games for space to preload this 152 gb monster and it downloaded like a gig and stopped. Best preload ever.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Its supposed to launch the game and then via game download those 90+ GB.
For me it launches till splash screen and it crashes to desktop. nice

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Game isn't even released but the discussions on Steam are already cracking me up.

People complaining that there are too many Flight Simulator versions, people moaning about the "ridiculous" price which no one can "afford", VR whiners announcing their usual boycott while others call them VR noobs, and of course almost everyone is a real pilot.

If I look at this I almost understand why Microsoft has no respect for gamers and cancels projects all the time.

Here one example. "swisch" a pilot with 20 years flying experience and legasthenia opened a discussion that you cannot fly or land planes without VR ("absolutly nesesary"), and then it goes for 15 pages

As a real Pilot: VR is critical!
I had play Flight Sims 20 years ago. But after ive played with Ocolus Quest and Valve Index, the DCS I can say:

THE FEELING FOR 3 DIMENSIONS IS NESESARY!

Absolutly mission critical.

You cant simulate a plane and fly or landing without VR!!!

Absolutly impossible!

Apparently microsoft has not yet locked threads or deleted dumb comments, that's why it totally went south within the first days.
I would ask him if "you can't simulate a plane and fly or land without VR", then how the fuck people did it in the last 40 years before VR existed. Retards.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
It wont work yet, still chrashes at splash screen. Updating Windows now to 2004 to see if it helps.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Tried to install the game for Xbox game pass.

Game starts asking for 120 GB.
I free 135 gb on my SSD.
I relaunch the Xbox app. It now asks for 150 Gb.
Fuck you, installing on HDD.
Five minutes later, the game has downloaded 1GB. The progress bar says it is 30 percent complete.
One minute later the launcher has finished the download
Launching the game results in a file not found error
Tried to reinstall a couple of times, same issue.

10 minutes later Windows wants to update.

After 3 reboots I relaunch the Xbox app.

I click install. It freezes for a while and then say "ERROR 0% CLICK FOR DETAILS_

I click for details.

"An unknown error has occured. We suggest waiting for a while or maybe trying now because maybe it is working now."

This is an actual error message.

I am now downloading the pirate version.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I think this question can be answered by asking if flying a real plane in real life is also "boring".

Now sure there are aspects of flying a real aircraft that a computer simulation will never be able to capture, but i think the underlying question misses the point of why certain human experiences exist and why people are drawn to them, and that also goes in defining what a video "game" actually is or what should be in principle, because to the "simulation" aspect of games were always important. When i played Doom as a kid an important element was the novelty of playing something in first person as opposed to all the coin op arcade games i used to play up to that point (Doom was my first PC game, before that i never even owned a console, unless a Game Boy counts). To me, playing Doom was as much about the "fun" of the gameplay as it was about the "experience" of the environments which made Doom into a simulation of sort. And i think it is aspect of simulation, or treating gaming as a kind of "science" in virtual possibilities rather than a mere platform for facile entertainment that made PC gaming interesting to me and it took me a long time to start caring about arcade forms of gaming again. And this is what makes me hate modern games so much, the fact everything is so damn formulaic and how everything has to revolve around "fixed" gameplay elements that get regurgitated over and over which are sort of "4th wall" braking when it comes to enjoying games as a form of "virtual" experience, or has an exercise in experimentation on how much of reality can be represented in a virtual environment (in a purely interactive and thus "real", rather than merely aesthetic, sense, and i think the Codex obsession with C&C in RPGs also flows from this idea).

This is why i'm happy at the popularity of pure simulations like this even though i'm too much of a brainlet to learn how to fly those damn things lmao. The release of this game makes me nostalgic to what gaming used to be like in the 90s, and how games like this were made precisely of the perception of gaming as a kind of scientific experiment.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Played around with it for a bit with the gamepass version. It's nice. I don't think I will be playing it though, I love (semi)simulators but I have to have direction, it can be mundane as shit as in Euro Truck Simulator or Elite Dangerous. Give me goals and the tiniest bits of progression and I can sink hundreds of hours into it.

My city looks like absolute garbage, don't even have the cathedral.

Quilty

Magister
Installation went smoothly, first impressions of flying around in a Cessna are excellent. A few hiccups here and there when it spawns me on an airstrip or when it loads my view, but overall far better than I expected on my i5 and 1070Ti. The weather effects are incredibly immersive.

As far as I can tell, there is no support for FSEconomy yet (I did find one yt video in Portugese about a workaround but couldn't understand it well enough) but once that comes there will be direction for those that want it. Of course, that should further improve when/if Air Hauler decides to support it too.

Burning Bridges

I would ask him if "you can't simulate a plane and fly or land without VR", then how the fuck people did it in the last 40 years before VR existed. Retards.

The guy was a troll of the most unfunny sort who makes hundreds of posts about the same joke. He posted made up bullshit, last I saw him make fun of people who have only 64 GByte RAM. He was banned, unbanned and then permabanned.

Burning Bridges

As far as I can tell, there is no support for FSEconomy yet (I did find one yt video in Portugese about a workaround but couldn't understand it well enough) but once that comes there will be direction for those that want it. Of course, that should further improve when/if Air Hauler decides to support it too.

Are you sure? people are already making videos of MSFS+FSE and FSEs BOD made a lot of changes yesterday, which affect GA aircraft and make cargo planes unattractive

https://www.fseconomy.net/forum/msfs/104639-new-client-for-msfs?start=0

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Failed installations seem to be a common problem.

Could it simply be that the servers are overloaded? Yesterday a million people tried to install the game at the same time.

Pero_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer
Tried to install the game for Xbox game pass.

Game starts asking for 120 GB.
I free 135 gb on my SSD.
I relaunch the Xbox app. It now asks for 150 Gb.
Fuck you, installing on HDD.
Five minutes later, the game has downloaded 1GB. The progress bar says it is 30 percent complete.
One minute later the launcher has finished the download
Launching the game results in a file not found error
Tried to reinstall a couple of times, same issue.

10 minutes later Windows wants to update.

After 3 reboots I relaunch the Xbox app.

I click install. It freezes for a while and then say "ERROR 0% CLICK FOR DETAILS_

I click for details.

"An unknown error has occured. We suggest waiting for a while or maybe trying now because maybe it is working now."

This is an actual error message.

I am now downloading the pirate version.

I had some issues with GamePass before. Try changing the region in the Windows settings, and try again. This solved the majority of the issues I had with gamepass.

Quilty

Magister

Are you sure? people are already making videos of MSFS+FSE and FSEs BOD made a lot of changes yesterday, which affect GA aircraft and make cargo planes unattractive

https://www.fseconomy.net/forum/msfs/104639-new-client-for-msfs?start=0

Ah, didn't see that, thank you! I'll give it a go and report back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom