Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
That's art style, not graphics, but yeah, V was a fugly game.
yeah, i was talking designs and how heroes designs suck compared to mm3-5.
Art style-wise, I've never like Might & Magic much to be honest, except for interface/character portraits/avatars/items in VI-VIII, which I quite liked.
i guess the cartoonish campy 80s fantasy/sf mix of 3-5 is an acquired taste...

just noticed something fucking stupid.. in the first lighthouse floor, you cannot shoot or cast at the coral priestess standing two tiles from you, despite there only being a hole between the five of you...

Last edited:

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Finally just signed up for early access on this.

I'm jonesing for this game. I really don't care if it's not as good as I hope it's going to be. All the signs are there for an enjoyable blobber. And thirty bucks isn't that bad.

Now I just have to wait for the download to complete to get a taste.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I thought the graphics in Heroes IV were good. My complaints against it are that it reduced units to 4 tiers (after previous games had 5, 6, 7 tiers respectively); ranged units retaliated to a ranged attacker; the fact that your hero was a battlefield unit; being able to move creatures on the map without a hero leading them.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The graphics in HoMM6 were pretty good, IMO. A lot better than the fifth game.

That said, they were used an overhead strategy game, not a first-person dungeon crawler. The graphics in M&MX look like shit and the game runs like shit (for me), too. Still, I'm looking forward to it anyway because the gameplay has been really solid thus far.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Game runs smooth as silk for me. There are occasions when a jittering can be seen, but that's always gone away as soon as I freelook anywhere.

I'm running every graphics option maxed, btw.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unity: kills shitty computers dead.

(Shitty defined as any computer that doesn't run Unity games well :smug:)

narupley

Scholar
Runs like shit for me too, relatively speaking. My PC can run Skyrim at max settings with absolutely no problems, but this game at max settings is unplayable (and the "max settings" bar for this game is far below most other modern games). At medium settings it's playable but frustrating for long periods. It looks like some people's computers run this game fine for some reason, but that appears to be the exception rather than the rule. I can only hope they somehow "optimize" it for the final release. I'm less than convinced that will happen satisfactorily though, given the other decisions they've made.

For example, instead of giving us an option to turn off those damn monster animations (which occur for all active monsters in the vicinity, even if you aren't looking at them), they give us an option to speed the animations up to 3x. Look, azn 3D modelers/artists, I love you, and I know you've been doing a great job, but after the first hour or so I don't want to see that shit anymore given how annoying it is in actual gameplay. Blame the development studio for taking a dump on your hard work.

I find it funny that the slowest speed for monster animation (100%) is still the default, and that 100%/200%/300% is labeled "Normal" / "Fast" / "Fastest". Really the fastest speed they showed should be the default at 100%, and then 100%/66%/33% should be "Normal" / "Slow" / "What the fuck were you thinking Limbic".

Also, from the most recent teaser it looks like they've marginally improved the movement by reducing the "stutter" in between steps. However the overall speed of movement remains almost the same. That is, it's still going to take around 5 minutes or so for a round trip to/from town depending on where you are. I'm guessing this is just because Limbic ran into a wall of limitation with Unity.

Nyast

Cipher
I bought the game. I want to support those kind of games. Even if the game turns out to be just average, it's "only" $30 and the genre is dead, so I don't mind paying just to send a message to devs that there's a market ( even if niche ) out there.

I'm not going to comment on the technical aspects, or the horrible balancing ( day/night cycles, broken weapons, movement speed, whatever ), those are mostly settings that can be adjusted and will be fixed for release ( or soon after ).

However, I can't say I have enjoyed Act I all that much so far. I would have expected the beginning of this game to be as good / attractive as possible. Instead, I'm presented with endless grinding ( a trait of the serie, so okay but.. ), lack of puzzles, poor encounters, poor pacing ( having to go back to town every 5 minutes ) and poor humor. I litteraly /facepalmed when one of the first NPC said that he wouldn't send me off fighting rats, only to discover a well of spiders minutes later. Really ? Whoever thought that'd be funny should be fired..

Despite this, I'm still interested in this game. I hope the pacing will be better, and Act 2 and later will be full of puzzles and more interesting encounters. If all the other Acts are like Act I, then it will be a terrible, terrible game for me..

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The pacing is only poor if you suck at the game. +M

p. much

It's a basic staple of M&M gameplay that the penalty for suckage is more backtracking, at least for VI+. Whether that's a good or bad mechanic I guess is up to yourself, but I respect them for not backpedaling on that design. The upside to it is that there are tangible effects to game mastery improvement, character progression and journey preparation.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Need to save something for DLC.

Dude. Arcomage.
To be followed by the paper doll DLC...

Arcomage is actual content.
paperdolls are important for immershun and stuff, fool.

Hey, I would have liked paperdolls (even if their fan-crowd on the Limbic threads are retards). If it's an incidental "the artists had to do something"-part of the DLC, I'm all for it :M

(it won't happen - converting every item to a new format and updating UI would be insane from a production standpoint)

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Hey, I would have liked paperdolls (even if their fan-crowd on the Limbic threads are retards). If it's an incidental "the artists had to do something"-part of the DLC, I'm all for it :M

(it won't happen - converting every item to a new format and updating UI would be insane from a production standpoint)
Unless the work is already done and ready for a Day 1 DLC :smug:.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom