Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Watched the video, saw a boring turn based hack and slash spider killing simulator. Codex preview says the other dungeons are more of the same. Can't go home again.

Branm

Learned
Mhmm game feels just like the old M&M titles from way past in the day. I cant say that I regret my purchase....

I'm not far though but I hope the diffidently picks up soon (only finished spider cave). I remember getting raped so many times when i went exploring in MM3+so I hope I can still run into almost impossible battles.

Also I wish more then 1 normal mob could fit into a tile.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/520375a2e754b62e12000000

MONSTER GROUPS

Monsters can form groups, and they will use that ability against your party. However, there are no special rules for group behaviour; each monster in a group decides for itself when and where to move. The ways monsters move is determined by a path finding algorithm. However, one tile can hold several monsters at once - up to three small ones, one small and one medium monster, up to two medium monsters or one big monster - as you can see here:

TileLimts.jpg

Stabwound

Arcane
I don't see why they had to make special rules like this, but I guess it was for technical/art reasons rather than balance reasons. I'd rather be able to be gangbanged by as many goblins as possible rather than have some weird arbitrary rules like this. Oh well.

Arkeus

Arcane
Oh god, they kept the traditional Might & MAgic sounds.

Oh god, the nostalgia. It's hitting me so hard.

narupley

Scholar
Whiners gonna whine. The best is all the crying over grid movement.

Like this guy
:

jimkizer said:
Man, I really wish I could get my money back.

I was so looking forward to this game. I have been hoping for an RPG return to this universe for ever, it seems.

Got it today, and found out that the grid design is absolutely destructive of any minimal level of immersion. Being able to only move at 90 degree angles in this day and age is ludicrous. They did it then due to the inherent limitations of the computers of the time. Not as a pinnacle of design, but as a foundation stone upon which much better interfaces grew. It was fine then. Actually, it was awesome FOR THE TIME. But then MM6 came, and other freedom of movement RPGs, and that was it. There is nothing that says turn based combat requires that you forget how to walk.

Somehow, I thought the plan was to recreate the golden days of the franchise. Not the childhood.

Don't get me wrong, there are some good things about the game, no doubt. But this is 2013. After 3 1/2 hours of game play, I am done. Sorry, but nostalgia can only carry ya so far.

Just gonna make a small, and incredibly obvious prediction here. This game will sell a minimal number of boxes, and fade to obscurity since its grid based gameplay style is only of interest to a nostalgia driven few. Since sales will be so mediocre, they'll never get get funding to do a decent RPG game in the universe. Sadly taking an awesome franchise down with it.

Why couldn't ya'll just re-do MM6s style? At least then you wouldn't be limiting your audience quite so drastically.

Sigh.I am so depressed right now.

GrimoireFTW

Learned
Mhmm game feels just like the old M&M titles from way past in the day. I cant say that I regret my purchase....

I'm not far though but I hope the diffidently picks up soon (only finished spider cave). I remember getting raped so many times when i went exploring in MM3+so I hope I can still run into almost impossible battles.

well I walked into a cave pretty much right outside sorpigal and ran into a Cyclops that demolished my party and im playing on adventurer as opposed to the more difficult warrior setting. Im absolutely loving it so far, feels like Xeen with awesome graphics and a great modern easy to use UI. It definitely feels like Might and Magic game to me blending the old and the new games and I can see influence from 3-5 and 6-8. Man does it feel good to hear the AWESOME ding sound again!

Honestly I don't understand where some of this hate is coming from. I understand some people don't like the tile based movement (even though I somewhat prefer it) but its really not that big of a deal! I mean 6-8 were good and all (I still think xeen is the best) but the combat did get annoying at time running around in circles spamming SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS and kiting enemies up and down hallways spamming SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. I prefer this more TACTICAL combat for sure. so just ignore these haters

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I suppose it's a good sign that much more people are mad about Uplay than about the grid.

Whiners gonna whine. The best is all the crying over grid movement.
Like this guy:

jimkizer said:
Man, I really wish I could get my money back.

I was so looking forward to this game. I have been hoping for an RPG return to this universe for ever, it seems.

Got it today, and found out that the grid design is absolutely destructive of any minimal level of immersion. Being able to only move at 90 degree angles in this day and age is ludicrous. They did it then due to the inherent limitations of the computers of the time. Not as a pinnacle of design, but as a foundation stone upon which much better interfaces grew. It was fine then. Actually, it was awesome FOR THE TIME. But then MM6 came, and other freedom of movement RPGs, and that was it. There is nothing that says turn based combat requires that you forget how to walk.

Somehow, I thought the plan was to recreate the golden days of the franchise. Not the childhood.

Don't get me wrong, there are some good things about the game, no doubt. But this is 2013. After 3 1/2 hours of game play, I am done. Sorry, but nostalgia can only carry ya so far.

Just gonna make a small, and incredibly obvious prediction here. This game will sell a minimal number of boxes, and fade to obscurity since its grid based gameplay style is only of interest to a nostalgia driven few. Since sales will be so mediocre, they'll never get get funding to do a decent RPG game in the universe. Sadly taking an awesome franchise down with it.

Why couldn't ya'll just re-do MM6s style? At least then you wouldn't be limiting your audience quite so drastically.

Sigh.I am so depressed right now.

Let's see...

• Don't get me wrong
  • This day and age
  • They did it that way because of the technology limitations
  • Ruins the immersion
  • Nostalgia
  • Sales advice

It's like he's following a chart.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Let me ask you bros, is it possible for a USA Codexer to buy a game on Steam, and gift it to pretty poor Easter Europen me? And I could pay him the 30 bucks on paypal. I could get the game that way for 30 dollars, instead of 30 euros.

You could also get a brazilian codexer to get it to you for 25 dollars, just saying.

Edit: Seems like I was too late.

Stabwound

Arcane
At least we get to make fun of morons. I get that there is a difference in preference over grid-based and turn-based, but to say the game is shit because it's grid-based is ludicrous. They wanted to follow the MM3-5 format and did exactly that, with improvements from the newer games.

How do you do free-roaming with good turn-based combat? It's just not possible. As far as I'm concerned, MM6+ completely failed in this regard and the combat design degenerates into an absolute clusterfuck. Here, fight 200 wizards standing in the middle of an island who home in on you like zombies. Great and tactical.

Even greater is that the guy apparently blindly bought the game without looking at a single gameplay video, of which there are plenty. He's either a troll or an idiot.

I find it odd that there are so many people that are seemingly hardcore fans of MM6+ and hate the older games. I wonder if this is a legit thing, or they're just Skyrim idiots that are name-dropping MM6+ to give their argument validity.

Completely turn-based combat on a grid vs free-roaming FPS-style kill-100-monsters-at-once. Gee, I wonder which I prefer. I get that people love the free-roaming and exploration of MM6+, but grid blobbers are a rare breed, and surprise guys, there are people that actually love this style of game. There is a reason the genre still exists and is very popular on certain (non-PC) platforms. There's something about mapping out a grid-based dungeon, finding all the secrets and doing all in a turn-based combat system that really appeals to me. It has nothing to do with nostalgia or whatever the fuck. It's just a style of game that is FUN.

Nael

Arcane
well I walked into a cave pretty much right outside sorpigal and ran into a Cyclops that demolished my party and im playing on adventurer as opposed to the more difficult warrior setting. Im absolutely loving it so far, feels like Xeen with awesome graphics and a great modern easy to use UI. It definitely feels like Might and Magic game to me blending the old and the new games and I can see influence from 3-5 and 6-8. Man does it feel good to hear the AWESOME ding sound again!

Cyclops is dead by my hand! :troll:

My party is a Mage - Barbarian - Protector - Ranger (All the four different races/classes) and the secret was to have my mage alternate armor spell -> regeneration -> mana pot -> rinse/repeat while everyone else just auto-attacked.

15232974618F80CEB5E5BA46E84ADC2AE01BA140

5068563DFDCBF82EB0DE2F31EEBB9367290F5055

44A88C2012ACB760965AB113D31E5E9A20BB3D9A

narupley

Scholar
I didn't think MMVI+ failed at all in that regard. It was hella fun to play, and that's literally the best compliment a game can get.

That said, I loved Xeen too, and I am loving this demo. It's really apples and oranges... different styles of gameplay, both fun.

Multi-headed Cow

How's the loot? Is it Xeen-like in that items are largely just what they are, or are there enchanted items like 6? Gotta pay to get stuff identified in town or is it all pre-chewed? Traps? Themed dungeons?

I did see that they don't have paper dolls which is a slight shame but no biggy. Also saw the damage popups during combat which looked kind of annoying since they stick around and wiggle instead of being a fraction of a second blood splat.

Edit: Durr, just noticed un-ID'ed items in the pictures above. So can your characters learn the skill(s) to ID 'em or do you do it in town, rather? If they're enchanted or not still applies I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

narupley

Scholar
Thomas_Grey said:
Grid-style movement Pros/Cons

Since this is clearly going to be an issue from the start, I thought it might be a good idea to start a running tally of the ups and downs of the new movement style compared to the original series. So please everyone why don't we put our heads together and find out if the good outweighs the bad or vice versa.
[U]Pro Con[/U]
- Allows for true turn-based combat -Minimizes terrain usage in combat
- Allows for clear metering of actions -Limits experimentation of tactics
- Is simple to implement for developers -Hinders immersion of combat and world seems flat.
allowing for more focus on story dev -Negates the value of exploration in a game arguably based on travel and adventuring
-Causes combat to be simplistic and seem non-fluid
-In an age of modern 3D programming makes the game feel out of date and poorly developed
-Will make interaction with small portions of the environment impossible in any real way

Now clearly by my count so far, I would vote to change the system. But I would like to hear what others are feeling on the issue. As of right now I'm completely open to the new grid system but would like us as a community (and hopefully the developers) to start a dialogue about some of the key issues of the system. OR! if you feel that there are key concepts that in my oh-so-limited vision I have missed please please PLEASE; comment and maybe tell me why or why not they are important and/or why my own ideas are perhaps flawed!

And this guy:

RickeyColey said:
:mad: Why is there no free movement mode in the options?

I was so excited about this game until I learned that it is grid based movement only. Please add a free movement option in the settings. I will not buy this game as it is right now. Does anyone else share this opinion of the grid based movement system? I like M&M 6,7,8,&9 style game play. Not M&M 3,4,&5 style game play. What a shame & disappointment... We need grid based turning with optional free movement & optional turn based game play. That is all I am asking for.

I don't mind grid style turning in a game like this, but they really need to add a free movement option is the settings. Grid based movement sucks!

Amn Nom

Learned
I played about an hour, not doing anymore because I want to keep it mostly fresh for the actual release, but it very much felt like World of Xeen. Combat and exploration are pretty much what I thought they would be.

I really like how the rest mechanic has a supplies meter so you can't spam rests and cheese every encounter with magic users, and how equipment can break on crits.

The big issues I had were mostly beta stuff, like no native widescreen resolution support and being really choppy for a game that doesn't look overly great.

Unless they massively screw something up (its Ubisoft, so they will find something I'm sure), this is going to be one of the better dungeon crawlers I think.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Installed the game at night and tried to play when i woke up. YAY! Black screen of doom...

Screw you and your codecs Ubisfoft...Need to figure out which codec is causing problem but my morning is ruined...

Edit: Meh, I'll just install game at work. Hope this ancient can handle some beta gameplay.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It actually has some moderate hardware requirements for a game of its type.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
What are the chances Ubi will cave in to the casuals demands for non grid/TB? Id like to get this but if theres that many casual children crying im a bit wary or a bait and switch. Perhaps they can be reminded that they have real time free movement in skyrim and can kindly fuck right off

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
What are the chances Ubi will cave in to the casuals demands for non grid/TB? Id like to get this but if theres that many casual children crying im a bit wary or a bait and switch. Perhaps they can be reminded that they have real time free movement in skyrim and can kindly fuck right off

They would be flushing the game budget down the toilet if they did, the skyrim-kiddies certainly aren't going to buy this game just because it has free-movement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom