Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

mindx2's collection is up for sale!!

Mustawd

is the USA's average college tuition is really 50,000-100k?

Depends on the university really. The better the university the higher the tuition. Really, you're mainly paying for the name and marquee of the school. My university was large (~approx 30k undergrad enrollment), and I paid around $10k a year. This was a few years ago.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
MindX I salute you, I too had to sell a beloved collection in time of need and it was fucking hard... But knowing that you have such a worthy cause does make it easier
Add me to the list especially for when you have System Shock 2 available

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MindX I salute you, I too had to sell a beloved collection in time of need and it was fucking hard... But knowing that you have such a worthy cause does make it easier
Add me to the list especially for when you have System Shock 2 available
You are now added to the list and can see all the prices for the entire collection up for sale including the System Shocks. :salute:

agris

Arcane
Patron
The cheapest one in my area.

A better one.

These are yearly prices. So, if you went to Oswego for four years, you would pay/owe 80,000. If you went to Cayuga, it would be a little cheaper.
And that's the fallacy that causes people to leave undergrad with $100k in debt. You don't need to buy college room and board. All you're doing is setting up undergrad to be like day-care for your child. Help them find and rent an apartment, like an adult, and hopefully by the time they're leaving home you've taught them how to cook food so they aren't paying $5000 USD per 9 months to access a cafeteria. Also, $8390 for a 9 month semester (notice that summer isn't included) is a hell of a lot for a dorm with little privacy and 1 - 3 room mates. Teach your kid to cook, how to rent an apartment off-campus with a room-mate and you'll save a ton of money. On top of that, they can work part-time. I and a lot of my peers were in hardcore STEM fields and still managed to work part time. No need to leave undergrad $100k in debt, unless you insist on the full day-care treatment. Which, to be fair, is what schools in the US want to sell. It's the most profitable.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The cheapest one in my area.

A better one.

These are yearly prices. So, if you went to Oswego for four years, you would pay/owe 80,000. If you went to Cayuga, it would be a little cheaper.
And that's the fallacy that causes people to leave undergrad with $100k in debt. You don't need to buy college room and board. All you're doing is setting up undergrad to be like day-care for your child. Help them find and rent an apartment, like an adult, and hopefully by the time they're leaving home you've taught them how to cook food so they aren't paying $5000 USD per 9 months to access a cafeteria. Also, $8390 for a 9 month semester (notice that summer isn't included) is a hell of a lot for a dorm with little privacy and 1 - 3 room mates. Teach your kid to cook, how to rent an apartment off-campus with a room-mate and you'll save a ton of money. On top of that, they can work part-time. I and a lot of my peers were in hardcore STEM fields and still managed to work part time. No need to leave undergrad $100k in debt, unless you insist on the full day-care treatment. Which, to be fair, is what schools in the US want to sell. It's the most profitable.

Unfortunately, most US colleges mandate that all freshmen have to live on campus their 1st year. My daughter is already looking into roommates off campus for her 2nd year.

Mustawd

Which, to be fair, is what schools in the US want to sell. It's the most profitable.

It's also a competitive differentiator for the universities. They're not selling an education, they're selling the "college experience". And with that comes the idea that you have access to this big on-campus community.

And to be fair, there is some advantages to this. For example, someone living on campus and with more time on their hands (due to no part time job) has more opportunities to network with career events, has easier access (in theory) to university resources as they're a skip and a hop away, has more contact with classmates on campus, and thus has more opportunities to be involved with student life, which in turn can benefit their resume and soft skills.

This might be less of an issue with STEM fields, but fields that require more soft skills, such as business, really benefit from increased networking and access to campus life. In addition, there are some firms that will simply only recruit from large or well known universities, greatly increasing the need for paying big bucks for tuition.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On top of that, they can work part-time. I and a lot of my peers were in hardcore STEM fields and still managed to work part time..
That's the thing though. This shouldn't be a requirement.
You will have to work your ass off soon enough, there should not be a need for it while you should be focusing on studies and growing up (because, let's be realistic, people are not grown up by the time they hit college). I know a few people who worked part-time next to studying - and they all say that their studies (and personal life) suffered from it. Except one girl who was actually part-time working in the field she was studying for anyway. But by far not all people are made to work all night/day just to sustain themselves.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Unfortunately, most US colleges mandate that all freshmen have to live on campus their 1st year. My daughter is already looking into roommates off campus for her 2nd year.
Yea, as non-transfer freshmen I think this is common. It isn't such a bad idea either, really, because of the camaraderie it gives you with other freshmen.

It's also a competitive differentiator for the universities. They're not selling an education, they're selling the "college experience". And with that comes the idea that you have access to this big on-campus community.
Yea, but in my experience, that college experience is too often partying your ass off while you get a liberal arts degree and rack up $100k in debt in the process. Your points are valid, but housing immediately across from most universities is about half as expensive as the dorms in my experience. And good for 12 months. And not subject to draconian privacy stipulations.

That's the thing though. This shouldn't be a requirement.
You will have to work your ass off soon enough, there should not be a need for it while you should be focusing on studies and growing up (because, let's be realistic, people are not grown up by the time they hit college). I know a few people who worked part-time next to studying - and they all say that their studies (and personal life) suffered from it. Except one girl who was actually part-time working in the field she was studying for anyway. But by far not all people are made to work all night/day just to sustain themselves.
I could not disagree more. This is the mentality that creates the day-care services for 18 - 21 year olds that bleed the middle-class dry in the US.

edit: sorry that I'm fucking up this thread with my ramblings mind2x. I'll stop now.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
agris At Oswego University, living was 8000, leaving 13000 per year, equaling 52000 over 4 years. Even if not, the point HoboForEternity made still stands, as his total college expense was less than tuition alone here.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I'd be interested is being sent info about any Icewind Dales if they haven't gone already :)

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
At least this way true RPG fans have a chance to have these classics... It is the least one could hope for

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
If possible i would like to have a invite, There might be something that im looking for there :)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looking forward to what other items you'll post. Picked up UUW1+2
HOLY CRAP Nekot-The-Brave?!! Didn't expect that much from you!! You want me to PM you my list of available games and you can choose which ones you are interested in? I'll also be sending you a refund on shipping as you paid too much. You didn't wait for an invoice with combined shipping.
Yes, I'd like to see what other parts of your collection that you are selling if you don't mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom