Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
If you give programmers memory they will use all of it.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
It bears to remember that recommended system requirements are often overstated nowadays (usually linked to Ultra settings).

Ultra settings however are basically a fraud, and the industry knows this very well. Triple-A PC games are coded primarily for High settings (@60fps), while it's console equivalent uses ~Medium settings (@30fps). Now the delta between "High" and "Ultra" is in most cases visually negligible, while the performance hit it takes on your hardware is massive.

Here, in video summary with comparisons (skip to the middle):

But then again most of us already knew that. Except for journos and hardware reviewers. Ticking everything to Ultra on newest titles for benchmarking is a very unprecise metric to measure performance. Wish they'd also take Medium/High settings into account.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They have to trick rubes into buying Alienware and the highest-end video cards.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Delayed to June 7: http://www.mirrorsedge.com/news/mec-update-april-21

Hello everyone,
As you know, we’re about to open the gates to the city of Glass for participants of the Closed Beta. One of the key features of the Beta and the full game is Social Play, detailed in our latest developer diary.

Taking on Dashes designed by DICE, creating your own Time Trials, climbing the Leaderboards, and connecting with your Runner friends are some of the Social Play features we’re really excited about – and something we want to play flawlessly.

To support the Social Play features, we are using a brand new online technology. We also want to make sure we have the opportunity and time to address player feedback from the Closed Beta. That is why we will give ourselves a bit more time to perfect the game, with a new release date for Mirror’s Edge Catalyst of June 7th (NA) and June 9th (EU). We’re confident that these extra two weeks will make sure the game is as amazing as possible for you the players.

Thank you all for your continued support and excitement for Mirror’s Edge Catalyst. The return of Faith is imminent.

Erik Odeldahl, Design Director

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I still have absolutely no idea if this game will be Good For What It Is or utter popamole shit. Leaning towards the latter in light of recent news :(

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing the beta for a few hours now, and it seems pretty decent. Running around is quite similar to the first game, some minor changes to runner vision but the feel is more or less the same.
Running on Ultra the game is smooth as butter most of the time, but there are some minor stuttering occasionally when the game tries to use a few filters too many at once.

Outside of the basic gameplay the inspiration from the "Ubisoft Game" is pretty obvious; an open world hub with plot sequences that can be tackled in different order, side missions based around repeating patterns and plenty of collectibles.

Melee combat has a few more options than in the original and is servicable enough without taking focus away from the running. I haven't seen any guns yet.

Overall the beta seems quite promising. I got a an extra code with the beta invite if anyone else wants to have a go: 9A5M-B9WS-ZSKU-ASYC-P6FL

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It's kinda faggy. It runs poorly on my GTX 970 for no good reason, even on low settings, and the cutscenes can't be skipped.

In terms of gameplay, it's almost exactly like the original mechanically, but with more restrictions because of the stupid unlock system. I would much prefer just to be given a set of skills right away instead of wait for my tumor to level up enough just to climb a certain pipe. I was definitely in a starting area, but the world was pretty underwhelming, and I doubt that it would become much more complex over time. You have either a handful of pipes to climb to the top of a building, or you can go through a few nondescript hallways if you don't have the quick turn skill yet. I would like to have more verticality, but things like apartment balconies and windowsills are worthless despite often being within reach.

The quests themselves are alright so far, but combat still poses a pacing issue in some. There was one where I had to collect some computer chips from various rooftops, and of course there were some bad guys at each location, and I had to beat them all up before the scripts allowed me to swipe the chips. It's typical Ubisoft padding in the most unwelcome of circumstances.

The Ubisoft formula might work in that it could allow you to familiarize yourself with an environment before you do a super duper hard mission, but fuck it. The likelihood of that actually being enjoyable with a thousand curb-someone-else's-dog objectives nagging for my attention is slim.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
sexbad? What are your other specs? Frostbite tends to be heavy on the CPU at times.

Also, people who are saying this game looks bad graphically.. what? It looks amazing, that's one of the major things Frostbite has for it is its ability to produce stellar visuals and still remain somewhat optimized.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
sexbad? What are your other specs? Frostbite tends to be heavy on the CPU at times.

Also, people who are saying this game looks bad graphically.. what? It looks amazing, that's one of the major things Frostbite has for it is its ability to produce stellar visuals and still remain somewhat optimized.
I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, with 16 GB of RAM. My CPU is a 3.5GHz AMD FX-8320.

The game doesn't have much of an excuse, because the world so far is pretty lifeless in terms of anything that would rightfully tax the CPU or GPU. It's pretty, but unimpressive on a technical level. You've got pale buildings, some shattered glass here and there, and some pretty background noise. There are also lots of smaller models and decals that only appear when I'm pretty close to them, too. Not sure what the hell could be making the game that slow.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So it's another one of these generic AAA open world games where you derp around from challenge to challenge hunting collectibles?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Why is there a "launch" trailer when the game doesn't launch for two weeks?

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Because the world is run by assholes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom