Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Mistakes in Wasteland 1

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So, if'd like to check Wasteland series it's better to ignore W1 (even Remastered) and go directly to Wasteland 2 DC?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So, if'd like to check Wasteland series it's better to ignore W1 (even Remastered) and go directly to Wasteland 2 DC?

I liked bits of WL1. More than WL2 which is mediocre through and through. WL3 is the best of them IMO, though none of the games are masterpieces by any means.

JanKrapivin

Novice

I think the game has its charm, and the music is beautiful, i can just stare in the screen, listening to music. Quests are funny, sometimes creepy. But yes, object interaction is a mess, imho. There is a survival guide in GOG version, though i tried not to look in it. Also i like original graphics more than remastered) but it is individual)) Don't know about remastered, but in original if you want to keep more than ONE save - you have to copy a folder in file manager by yourself.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected
Just hit the sewers and feel woefully underprepared. Anyone have any tips? I wanted to buy more kevlar but I have no idea how to actually make more money in this game.

Have you explored the silver mine?

I did, though none of my characters have metallurgy so I couldn't really do anything with the ore veins. I'm gonna attempt the sewers again today, I snagged a proton axe and sold a bunch of stuff to upgrade my armor so hopefully I can make it through this time.

Codex Year of the Donut
All the WL games are worth playing.
I've heard decent things about the remastered WL(haven't played it tho) now that it has been patched, if you aren't looking for a purist playthrough/actually played the original, there's probably nothing wrong with playing that version.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just hit the sewers and feel woefully underprepared. Anyone have any tips? I wanted to buy more kevlar but I have no idea how to actually make more money in this game.

Sewers are probably the most obnoxious part of the game. My advice - full auto is your friend, there are random and fixed encounters so press forward until you feel too weak, backtrack to a rope (where you won't be interrupted) to rest until you're fully healed and just keep making small progress on the fixed encounters and backtracking.

Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected

Sewers are probably the most obnoxious part of the game. My advice - full auto is your friend, there are random and fixed encounters so press forward until you feel too weak, backtrack to a rope (where you won't be interrupted) to rest until you're fully healed and just keep making small progress on the fixed encounters and backtracking.

I ended up getting through it earlier, was definitely tough but the proton axe + extra kevlar that I got made a big difference. As for full auto, I've been focusing melee on all my characters so I just chainsawed my way through.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
No, I'd highly recommend actually playing Wasteland 1 first (classic or remastered doesn't really matter since at their core they are the same game, but the remaster has a quest journal and stuff that makes things easier to keep track of). Going right into WL2DC with no context as to what came before is definitely going to make it a lot less enjoyable. WL2 is fine, it's alright, not amazing, but a lot of the charm of it is in it being an actual sequel to Wasteland and not just a generic franchise "soft reboot" like Fallout 3 is to Fallout 1&2, imo. I don't think people give WL2 enough credit when you look at it with context.

Krivol

Magister

I ended up getting through it earlier, was definitely tough but the proton axe + extra kevlar that I got made a big difference. As for full auto, I've been focusing melee on all my characters so I just chainsawed my way through.

Meele starts to be useless in Las Vegas. 99% of encounters start in range and you have to waste a lot of HPs to get to close range. Still I also love CC in WL due to the double exp it gives.

JanKrapivin

Novice
Hi! I have come back to the game after a long break) And now in the endgame i have a question again. I have finished Guardian Citadel and in the middle (probably) of base Cochise. There are very high-class enemies at the Base Cochise and now i am very low on Power Packs for Energy weapons. I have used all found ammo from Citadel and can't find or buy Power Packs anywhere ( I read that after Vegas you can buy from Ranger Center (?), but i have no such option.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I think Wasteland 1 is worth playing on its own. Just do yourself a favor and use a guide when you're stuck.
I think you'd have to ask yourself why you play games to begin with. Wasteland rewards exploration and trying different things (it also punishes players as well, as anyone who has ever drowned knows.) Playing with a walkthrough really misses all the charm and the level of creativeness that went into the game. It was years ahead of it's time. To play it to cross the game off a list? Why bother?

dacencora

I've heard decent things about the remastered WL(haven't played it tho) now that it has been patched

It’s very faithful and the little “cutscenes” are pretty charming. I like having the journal available in game.

I think you'd have to ask yourself why you play games to begin with. Wasteland rewards exploration and trying different things (it also punishes players as well, as anyone who has ever drowned knows.) Playing with a walkthrough really misses all the charm and the level of creativeness that went into the game. It was years ahead of it's time. To play it to cross the game off a list? Why bother?

As mentioned above, many times games were intentionally designed to get you to buy a strategy guide. You can still enjoy the character building and combat of an old school RPG, even if you use a guide to get past some of the puzzles.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I started Wasteland without a guide and then gave up on that when I ran into my first "what the hell am I supposed to do to continue" roadblock. You had to say a certain keyword to an NPC, it wasn't obvious.

It was specifically
In the southeast corner of the main hall is the Head Crusher. The tricky thing here is to use the Brakeman's Visa card on the chair, not on the table or Head Crusher himself. You get a password in return and can then talk to Head Crusher ("chat" and "dancer" are valid topics, but they lead nowhere; "thanks", "thank you", "bye" and "goodbye" all make him disappear).

Who would guess you're supposed to use the object on a chair?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
As mentioned above, many times games were intentionally designed to get you to buy a strategy guide. You can still enjoy the character building and combat of an old school RPG, even if you use a guide to get past some of the puzzles.
I'm guessing this wasn't done for strategy guides but probably more of a bug that slipped through the cracks and there was no real way to patch.

I started Wasteland without a guide and then gave up on that when I ran into my first "what the hell am I supposed to do to continue" roadblock. You had to say a certain keyword to an NPC, it wasn't obvious.

It was specifically
Yah - this seems to be the big one. I don't know how I made it past the times I played it - but I'll state for the record that Wasteland wasn't alone in having a difficult puzzle or two. Flying that balloon to get to the Ankh in Ultima IV and fighting Ghosts in Lands of Lore Throne of Chaos were much bigger pains in the ass, but do not get nearly as much bad press as this one flaw in Wasteland.

Kedar

Educated
WL2 is fine, it's alright, not amazing, but a lot of the charm of it is in it being an actual sequel to Wasteland and not just a generic franchise "soft reboot" like Fallout 3 is to Fallout 1&2, imo. I don't think people give WL2 enough credit when you look at it with context.

You hit the nail on the head. Seeing how the locations from the original developed between the games is very satisfying and I think it's pretty clever what they did with the leader of Red Scorpion Militia.

All the WL games are worth playing.
I've heard decent things about the remastered WL(haven't played it tho) now that it has been patched, if you aren't looking for a purist playthrough/actually played the original, there's probably nothing wrong with playing that version.

It allows you to save anywhere unlike the original, which had autosaves on entering a location. That in itself is a major QoL improvement.

To be fair, that quest isn't mandatory. Almost none of them are. I managed to finish the game without ever fixing the water purifier at Highpool because I somehow missed that you can buy engines from Rail Nomads.

JanKrapivin

Novice
Yeah, and to be sure, there is no way to have multiple save slots in classic Wasteland, right?

I just make copies of save folder in file manager.

Kedar

Educated
Yeah, and to be sure, there is no way to have multiple save slots in classic Wasteland, right?

I just make copies of save folder in file manager.

That's right. The idea is that if you lose your squad, you make a new one and keep playing in the same world, which is an interesting concept but I don't think the game does anything worthwhile with it.

JanKrapivin

Novice
That's right. The idea is that if you lose your squad, you make a new one and keep playing in the same world, which is an interesting concept but I don't think the game does anything worthwhile with it.

Hm, i thought it was just a technical issue of old computers.

JanKrapivin

Novice
OK. I have finally managed to finish it.

And now i wonder... Is the gamer's decline real? :negative:

SPOILERS HERE in quote section...

I have stuck at the Base Cochise and wasn't able to push through without Survival Guide. How in the hell should i know that Reactor needs the thing called Plasma coupler? I had a lot of different staff in the inventory from early game from the fear to loose smth crucial, but i thought i have to look for a thing called smth like the "THING FOR REACTOR", and i thought it would be somewhere on the level, so i uselessly searched the base for what i already had.

And how should i know that the number of the Destruction protocol 1342-666 is the hint for panel activation sequence?
Was it obvious for somebody? :stupid:

It is a pity, because in general the idea of final quest is cool.

Are other RPGs from 80s so complicated? Bards Tale, Ultima and Wizardry series?:|

Codex Year of the Donut

I have stuck at the Base Cochise and wasn't able to push through without Survival Guide. How in the hell should i know that Reactor needs the thing called Plasma coupler? I had a lot of different staff in the inventory from early game from the fear to loose smth crucial, but i thought i have to look for a thing called smth like the "THING FOR REACTOR", and i thought it would be somewhere on the level, so i uselessly searched the base for what i already had.

And how should i know that the number of the Destruction protocol 1342-666 is the hint for panel activation sequence?

Are other RPGs from 80s so complicated? Bards Tale, Ultima and Wizardry series?:|
Not sure about this specific instance, but publishers used to love puzzles because they could be used to push guidebooks.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

You should probably familiarize with the 90s if you want to ease yourself into the classics. The Dark Sun games are a very good start IMO, they have many features ahead of their time, that bring them closer to the late 90s / early 00s rpgs, but they still retain that old-school feel.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Hi,

I am at Scott's Bar in Quartz. I am looking for this Head Crusher boy.
There is a lot of people here. How can I find this Headcrusher guy?
In Ultima 4 I can talk and ask his name very politely?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom