Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Monster Sanctuary

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really love this game. It's core gameplay is synergy building between the mons. I don't get the level scaling complain. The upscale is optional, and i don't even notice the default level scaling until someone point out.

It's the most brilliant pokemon clone out there. Most of them are just copying pokemon and its dull gameplay. This really try to do something different and oh boy the synergy variation is great. I ended up with a bleed/crit build with catzerker as main DPS and with proper buff and items it can reach 100% crit chance and 200% crit damage. The support healer and shielder can keep up shields and charges 100% every turn. Bleed aura negates bleed stack reduce effect so you can stack bleed to high double digit and it does absurd damage.

somerandomdude

Learned
I'd recommend patching the .exe to not need steam, so you can play it without it getting updated. It's a decent game, and is well worth the price, but I didn't like them constantly nerfing stuff, and making adjustments and shifting metas as if it were a live service game. It's been quite awhile since I've played this, so maybe they slowed down a bit, and it's not as bad now as it used to be. I remember they nerfed my Salahammer, and I rolled the game back, and patched the .exe so I didn't get any more updates.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I finished the game a couple of weeks back and thought it was okay...but for some reason I keep thinking about how the endgame/postgame teambuilding was kind of fun. Any other similar games to recommend? Hopefully ones that don't open up after beating the whole damn game?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finished the game a couple of weeks back and thought it was okay...but for some reason I keep thinking about how the endgame/postgame teambuilding was kind of fun. Any other similar games to recommend? Hopefully ones that don't open up after beating the whole damn game?
Monster collecting? The Shin Megami Tensei series is fun.

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
If you haven't, try siralim. I believe its up to 3 and is probably the most complex of all of them in that regard.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Siralim's maps and enemies used to put me to sleep. Maybe I'll try again.

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
Agreed, not the greatest overall but the team building/stat aspects of the newest one have alot more variables going on. You might try getting into the switch emulation, there's a few there in a similar vein to varying degrees:

Digimon world: Next Order
Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Dark Prince
Monster Hunter Stories 2

Trying to think what else I have installed right now that is big on min/max and team synergy, different genres but I think these two could scratch that itch

Battletech with the Roguetech mod
Hero's Adventure: Road to Passion

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Siralim's maps and enemies used to put me to sleep. Maybe I'll try again.
If you do, I believe the newest one is 'Ultimate'. It's really streamlined all the gimmicky quest stuff, you can basically skip all that text now and just run over things without stopping until you get into a noteworthy combat.

On the subject of team building games... well you quoted one of my posts that mentioned them recently, at least all my favourites that are most similar. I'd try Troubleshooter as well if you haven't, it's top notch. There's that FFT clone that came out quite a while ago as well... Fel Arbiter? Fallen Arbiter? The writing was bland as hell but it did the FFT combat/building properly and had some unique classes and such. Difficulty was on the easy side but that comes with the territory once you break the systems in these games.

Maybe check out Bionic Dues? It's a sort of team based mech roguelike, has some cool mechanics. Something about the gameplay feels off to me though, like it's got too much easy filler punctuated by the occasional 'oh fuck' moment, no matter how you set up the difficulty. I like how sharply units fill their roles in the game; a tanky mech might be able to survive 100 times more attacks than a sniper or stealth mech, you can get massive AoE rocket launchers or deadly melee attacks on super mobile units, your sniper might be casually popping enemies in one shot and then be unable to even harm something built to soak damage.

The Last Spell is another roguelike tactical teambuilding game, though it's full of meta progression stuff. I haven't played it since like 4 major updates ago, but it seemed promising at the time.

Or go play X-Piratez if you've got a couple hundred hours to spare. It's pretty good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom