Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monsters of Mican - whimsical Might & Magic-like blobber

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://www.blankittproductions.com/portfolio-collections/games/monsters-of-mican

I just finished playing through this. At 10 hours, it's a pretty short game, but man was it varied. No filler, never got boring, kept throwing surprises at me.

I wrote a Steam review: https://steamcommunity.com/id/jarlfrank/recommended/2745660?snr=1_5_9__402

If you like Might & Magic style dungeon crawlers, I can HIGHLY recommend it. The tone of this game is a little bit too silly, every monster is a stupid pun (porkchopper - flying pig with helicopter rotors; licked lich - a lich covered in lollipop armor; zebracorn - a zebra unicorn; sandwitch - literally a spellcasting sandwich), but there's a huge variety of them and the game has a resistance system where every monster has different resistance levels to every type of damage, so some might be immune to fire and blades while others take extra damage from acid and blunt. This adds some welcome complexity to the combat. There's a huge variety of items too, most of them are random Diablo style loot drops but there's a couple of unique items too, and those are often found in areas you need them. Like a mining area where you encounter lots of stone golems, and nearby you find a hammer that does extra damage to constructs.

Every dungeon level is different. There's different environments, different types of traps, different enemies, a few puzzles to solve. For example one dungeon level is a grotto with an underground lake and rivers that will sweep you away with their current and toss you into whirlpools that take you elsewhere on the level. There's two different ways of dealing with the current: either get a walk-on-water spell in the archives (different dungeon level) or kill a kraken boss and access the ice machine behind his lair to freeze all the water. There's a lot of cool stuff like that, it never becomes formulaic or boring. For all its silliness, the game knows how to vary its content to keep it from becoming repetitive.

The only issue is that in the late game you'll have so much XP and gold that you can level your entire party to almost level 200 at which point even the final boss is a fucking joke.

A bunch of screenshots:
20240521183759-1.jpg

20240526153431-1.jpg

20240526155229-1.jpg

20240527215152-1.jpg

20240528113420-1.jpg

20240528124411-1.jpg

20240519175119-1.jpg

20240519175649-1.jpg

20240519184151-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
...If you like Might & Magic style dungeon crawlers, I can HIGHLY recommend it. The tone of this game is a little bit too silly, every monster is a stupid pun (porkchopper - flying pig with helicopter rotors; licked lich - a lich covered in lollipop armor; zebracorn - a zebra unicorn; sandwitch - literally a spellcasting sandwich)...
A forsaken child of Superhero League of Hoboken and Might and Magic, indeed!

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Right? I especially love that sound of rocks crumbling. That long one. It's the same sound we used to make as children when playing with dinosaurs and cars, crashing one into another. Dzzztcschtsssssbftghtrrr :lol:

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Dear JarlFrank, how do you equip an item? There is 3 screens for that, and I am confused.
1. inventory screen
2. character screen with the equipped items
3. equip screen

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
My eyes bleed from looking at the screenshots. Is it possible to have a more directionless art direction? It looks like a bunch of random assets with dreadful color scheme added for more vomit-inducing overall effect.

I'm no graphics whore, and often play games with basic visuals, but this one is something else entirely.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dear JarlFrank, how do you equip an item? There is 3 screens for that, and I am confused.
1. inventory screen
2. character screen with the equipped items
3. equip screen
Best way is character screen, click on the character's equipment slot, then it gives you a list of items that can be equipped there and you pick the one you want.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
seems interesting and wishlisted; excellent find! unfortunately i am burnt out on m&m style games after playing amberland and sequel and then some mm6 in succession.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
ProjectMMWin64Shippi.png

I dig that reaching expert/mastery with utilty skills like merchant or burglary can also grant you new spells/abilities to play with.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
The game just received an UI update.
e19ProjectMMWin64Shippi.jpg

Looks a bit better but it didn't fix a bug i have encountered with a stone pillar spell. This is one of those fun spells that conjures a pillar beneath your party that is unreachable by melee enemies. You can also jump from it or onto it with a rabbit legs spell or a spear vault abiltiy.
Unfortunately, after i casted it once it doesn't seem to go away. Each time i enter a new area or reload a save i always find myself on top of this stone pillar.
It still continue to follow me no matter how many time i have dismissed this spell.
Always beneath my feet. Always behind me.
I am scared.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The overall format of the interface looks fine. It's busy, but that's typical of blobber interfaces. Art assets looking like developer art is the biggest thing that's going to scare people away.

Berengar

Learned
You had me at Sandwitch. Bought.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom