Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Moonring is a free retro RPG inspired by the classic Ultima games and early roguelikes

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Fluttermind; Moonring

Moonring is a retro-inspired open-world, turn-based, tile RPG in the style of the classic Ultima games, but created from the ground up with modern design sensibilities.

The world's geography is hand-designed, but the deadly dungeons beneath the surface reconfigure each time you leave... or die.

Travel, trade, sneak, fight and sail the world of Caldera. Speak with the townsfolk, learn Caldera's secrets, and challenge the Archon for his throne... or even overthrow the Gods themselves!

Features:
- Large, hand-designed open world
- An infinite supply of dungeons generated using your character name
- Over 100 varied enemy types, from fodder to bosses
- 35 unique Gifts from the Gods, their usage changing with the moon phases
- Sailing, ship-to-ship combat and boarding
- A Dungeon Synth OST with over 50 tracks, all made using retro Mod Trackers!
- A hidden magic system and many other mysteries​

Ysaye

Arbiter
Looks interesting, but two questions for the ether sphere:
(1) Say it is Ultima, but ultima doesn't use roguelike style combat?
(2) Why is it free?

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I like the art style; the overworld map at the start was gorgeous. Definitely feels more Rogue than Ultima though...

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Play for a few minutes:
  • The graphics are simple but clean.
  • The interface is somewhat cluttered/complex, but efficient. The inventory screen looks like it might get out of hand later...
  • You can control the game with mouse or keyboard exclusively.
  • The view is definitely Ultima-esque and it uses keyword based chat.
  • Bump-based combat is efficient for simple melee.
  • It is a rogue-lite in that your game and the world state remain on death, but the dungeon you were in is reset and regenerated. Not sure how deep dungeons will get, so too early to tell if this will lead me to rage quit eventually... At least it has a "save and quit" option.
  • Only played through one dungeon, but I noticed a few interesting mechanics like yelling to attract an enemy to run into a spiderweb, then ganking it while it is helpless. Also, fire spreads!

Last edited:

Eisen

Learned
Does it have permadeath?
I like the controls of a roguelike, top-view and grid-based combat, but nowadays i'm not a fan of permadeath.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
From what I understand, it does not have permadeath but I haven't tested the theory... The game is less than 100mb download, so I guess its easy enough to test. I don't want to chance throwing away my significant half hour investment. :-D

EDIT: Since I got massively ganked on the overworld map, I can answer the question; there is no permadeath. You reset to the last save point, which will be at a town.

Last edited:

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
The game is quite fun and well-made for a free one. Movement could be quicker. Also you can't seem to push objects around like you can in Ultima, which is a shame. Still, fun little incline.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Am i the only one who doesn't like Ultima and RPG's "inspired" by it?
Yea Ultima games are a bit overrated. They were good for the time but they really don't hold up that well. But games inspired by it can be quite good, especially if they copy the environment interaction. Which this game sadly doesn't.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
This is quite addictive and the mix of Ultima overworld and modernized mechanics plus roguelike dungeons is clever

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Yea Ultima games are a bit overrated. They were good for the time but they really don't hold up that well. But games inspired by it can be quite good, especially if they copy the environment interaction. Which this game sadly doesn't.
It does have some interactions though; fire is bloody dangerous, different terrain has different effects/uses, some enemies have facings which can be exploited etc. Its definitely not as "dumb" as some Ultima-likes but doesn't have anywhere near the complexity of Rogue.

almondblight

Arcane

I've only tried IV, VII, and Savage Empire. Bounced pretty hard off of IV and VII, but Savage Empire seemed cool.

The Exile series seemed to at least be partially inspired by it, though, and all of those games are great.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
It does have some interactions though; fire is bloody dangerous, different terrain has different effects/uses, some enemies have facings which can be exploited etc. Its definitely not as "dumb" as some Ultima-likes but doesn't have anywhere near the complexity of Rogue.
Yea apparently you can also interact with water to make yourself temporarily immune to fire, which is cool. I was more refering to the fact you can't push furniture around.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Yeah agreed on the furniture, just wanted to point out to others that the environments aren't completely static. You can make yourself wet at water and in rain to be fireproof for a bit. You can also use a water flask to put yourself out. Unfortunately, I ran out of water and burnt to death in the last dungeon.
:timetoburn:

Arthandas

Prophet
Looks great but I don't know if I can enjoy a roguelike with no kind of permadeath. What's the point if you're just respawning after dying and there's no penalty for failure?

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Looks great but I don't know if I can enjoy a roguelike with no kind of permadeath. What's the point if you're just respawning after dying and there's no penalty for failure?
The penalty for failure is you lose all of the loot you gathered from the dungeon and have to start again, in a newly generated dungeon.

EDIT: Deaths on the overworld are also penalised; you only save in towns and ruins. I have been ganked on the road a few times and lost a lot of careful travel time. The game has hinted there are methods of fast travel, but they are limited and not immediately available.

Last edited:

Arthandas

Prophet
The penalty for failure is you lose all of the loot you gathered from the dungeon and have to start again, in a newly generated dungeon.
Yeah, I've played it a little and it seems more like an adventure game than a real roguelike (and I'm not saying that's a bad thing), permadeath wouldn't be a good fit probably. I hope the dungeons are challenging at least.

Trash Player

Scholar
Very accessible UI yet still old school enough. No handholding but in-universe hints. Keyword convo system.
Limited character progression, gated by exploration and milestones. Virtue-like devotion system, optional bonus for conduct.
Combat unremarkable RL fare but reasonably lethal by the standard of a open world RPG.
Dungeons do wear me down a bit 8 hours in however, too repetitive. Enemy variety isn't that impressive either.
Loot is mostly randomly generated by zone danger level, along with a few guaranteed loot like plot coupons.
Still going to quest and explore until I become eventually bored in the next 20 hours. Great value for a free game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom