Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community More Divinity prizes, physical box copies available, raffles and more!

Angthoron

Arcane
Not that I mind in what way people entertain themselves, especially when Larian benefits, but I thought this was a community "contest", and not something settled between the most affluent members of said communities. Folk like Catawampus and Temperacl and Sitra Achara have been pretty quiet about their massive contributions, after all.

I'm pretty sure Codex is at the very least capable of matching The Watch (and in fact in truth we've already won - until some of the actually employed people got their boni!), but not necessarily in the Wallet vs Wallet battle.

Folks of the 'Dex - feel welcome to continue to contribute to this fundraiser, it'd be awesome to get to 10K and see what Larian can think up for us, but I'd personally suggest not jumping into a wallet battle. It's still a donation drive from the good of us, not out of spite for someone's expanded spending capacity.

serch

Magister
Frankly, If HiddenX has big money to spend and is driven by the desire of really helping Larian, he is maximizing really smartly his donation. He could just have taken a 2500 $ spot in kickstarter and think no more about it. Instead, with this little butthurt game, he probably got the Watch and the Codex to donate some 5.000 $ extra dollars for Larian.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Not that I mind in what way people entertain themselves, especially when Larian benefits, but I thought this was a community "contest", and not something settled between the most affluent members of said communities. Folk like Catawampus and Temperacl and Sitra Achara have been pretty quiet about their massive contributions, after all.

I'm pretty sure Codex is at the very least capable of matching The Watch (and in fact in truth we've already won - until some of the actually employed people got their boni!), but not necessarily in the Wallet vs Wallet battle.

Folks of the 'Dex - feel welcome to continue to contribute to this fundraiser, it'd be awesome to get to 10K and see what Larian can think up for us, but I'd personally suggest not jumping into a wallet battle. It's still a donation drive from the good of us, not out of spite for someone's expanded spending capacity.

That was a reasoned and logical argument.

Get teh fuck out.

edit: Also they are at 10K so the double donations should stop.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong

1) RPGWatch never called for a "community contest" -> you did
2) RPGWatch Goal: maximum $$$ for Larian
3) I wanted and still want 10K for both sites
4) there are two winners in this fundraiser game: Larian & Paypal ;)
5) We are beginning to spend $$$ here already

PS:
My role is overestimated in this case:

Math-Proof:
(10K - My Money) / #Watchers who contributed(=87) is much higher than (9.4K) / #Codexians who contributed(=134)

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
I pledged not so high at Kickstarter, but several other Watchers did - some of them transferred their money to our fundraiser.

serch

Magister
Yeah, I always pledge double or triple in kickstarter than in Codex. If developers offered to the Codex the same individual rewards + something for the community for the same price plus 15 or 20 extra dollars for that Codexian objective, I'm pretty sure we'll get pretty brutal numbers, as it is now most of us give our most through kickstarter plus some minor contribution to Codexian glory

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
It is very cool from Larian to give individual rewards in a collective fundraiser - I hope other Kickstarters will do the same in future.

Dhralei

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Frankly, If HiddenX has big money to spend and is driven by the desire of really helping Larian, he is maximizing really smartly his donation. He could just have taken a 2500 $ spot in kickstarter and think no more about it. Instead, with this little butthurt game, he probably got the Watch and the Codex to donate some 5.000 $ extra dollars for Larian.

It's one thing to donate and be gracious about it and another thing to donate and then plaster the fact all over to make sure that everyone, their grandmothers as well as their cats know about it. HiddenX is an example for the latter and to me he comes across as a smug, pompous show off. Take this post of his for example:

1) RPGWatch never called for a "community contest" -> you did
2) RPGWatch Goal: maximum $$$ for Larian
3) I wanted and still want 10K for both sites
4) there are two winners in this fundraiser game: Larian & Paypal ;)
5) We are beginning to spend $$$ here already

PS:
My role is overestimated in this case:

Math-Proof:
(10K - My Money) / #Watchers who contributed(=87) is much higher than (10K) / #Codexians who contributed(=134)

Dude, we called for a contest of communities. It was you that made it into a contest of the biggest wallets. Additionally, you do nothing but come here to spout some crap of holding hands and singing kumbaya while on the other hand smugly going on about how much money you have, how big your bonus is and how you're just so awesome in using it to prop up the RPG Watch fundraiser.

While the result of your bullshit might be positive (Larian ending up with more money), you also completely turned me off checking out the RPG Watch to see if it's a worthwile forum to browse. I don't think I'd be able to stand more of the self righteousness you project.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Eh, I don't get the self-righteous vibe from HiddenX, atleast not in the way of the guy who went on about full-time jobs in the Watch thread. I think he's acting in a reciprocal way, mimicing to an extent how we've acted in the Watch's fundraiser thread, but with the Watchian veneer of forced politeness. I know he's making us loose, but I don't think persecuting him for donating a lot of money is really called for. Let's just see where the chips lie when all is said and done.

serch

Magister
It's not as he is telling his real name, and the smugness could be understood as a way to make us angrypledge. But to be in character, yeah he is a jew who probably got his money by selling the candies he robs from little kids.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
you called for a monetary battle, my friends

this

&

that

so don't be Angry Birds if you get what you ask for.
You can still reach 10K.
And if you get more than RPGWatch I couldn't care less.

20K for Larian!

Angthoron

Arcane
Again, like I said, it's not my business to count money in people's pockets, and I've been having a lot of fun with this campaign on my side, with the added bonus of getting to talk to Swen, who's one of the coolest boss-type people I've spoken to so far, but I'll reiterate - this was supposed to be a community vs community thing, rather than community vs person, or a wallet vs wallet clash literally. It's always been about Codex vs Watch around these places, with Codex annual Watch raids, and of course this is supposed to be one as well. As someone with a 2006 join mark, you should know that.

It's not an item that makes me angry, really, as everything goes to a good cause, but yeah, this rivalry has gone to places that I'm a bit surprised with. Threads of "Codex vs HiddenX" type, "double your investment" shenanigans, really? Is the only way to get large donations supposed to be stemmed from greed and spite at this point? Initial wave of "Codex vs Watch" felt like lulz, even at points when Codex was falling behind, because the gap was relatively even, and the few generous donors (of whom quite a few have completely forfeited their stuff so Larian can get a better buck out of this drive) did things fairly subtly, but then something weird happened and we started getting cash-bombing and personal races. Why? Fuck if I know. Should people stop contributing to the donation drive over this? Fuck no. Should people pay attention to my post? ::rpgcodex::

Bottomline and tl;dr - if you want to have lulz and bury the Watch under a Codexian pile of cash, go ahead bros, I know I'll chip in again after my trip; if you want to contribute to Larian's hopefully-awesome-game, go ahead. But don't bring it to the personal level of Codex vs HiddenX and stuffies, nya~ since that's p.declineful.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Believe me I had and have a lot of fun in this fundraiser campaign, lulz and everything, I have no problems with threads like Codex vs HiddenX, it turned out fun, popcorn & information, thanx felipepepe :)

The doubling your donation idea was good and crpg fans with lesser ressources could get the game for 12.5$ or a better version. This is generous, similar like Tempepracl spending in the name of others.

But if Goliath challenges David I'm inclined to give David some help - natural instinct.

Maybe we should starting making fundraisers together instead starting site vs. site contests.

We have to start working together for this:

There's a questline to make: The Eternal Battle Imps vs Watch

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Fucking finally. Paypal has accepted my donation. After having to activate, re-activate, suspicious behaviour deactivation, Opera being shitty with secure cookies, Chrome bleeding the fucking white out of my eyes with some terrible text sharpness issues, etcetera. This $20 was totally worth it.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fucking finally. Paypal has accepted my donation. After having to activate, re-activate, suspicious behaviour deactivation, Opera being shitty with secure cookies, Chrome bleeding the fucking white out of my eyes with some terrible text sharpness issues, etcetera. This $20 was totally worth it.
$20 is enough for a raffle ticket, so maybe you'll win something good.

Angthoron

Arcane
It's a digital copy now, IDtenT - c u tomorrow
Ah, he already had a copy to his name thanks to another codexer's forfeit, but, pretty cool that he'd chipped in anyway, and nice of you to add - now the forfeit copy goes to the general pool methinks.

Hooray for excel. And Codexia. Codexia is excellicious!

Angthoron

Arcane
Hooray for excel. And Codexia. Codexia is excellicious!
Any update on how the negotiations are going?
Regarding what? Most of the stuff that needed to be negotiated has been. If you mean mail stuff, nothing yet, if you mean 10K grand total, hit me up with ideas and I'll contact Swen about them, as I've currently no idea what we could ask for there.

Other than that things are mostly clear/satisfactory, but please to remind me if I've missed out on something, this trip kinda threw me off some.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yep, I meant the shipping rewards thing.

Sadly I am not your man when it comes to thinking up a serious, non shitty 10K game event. Sorry :(

Angthoron

Arcane
Ah, yeah, I'll contact Swen about it again, think it might've gotten buried under a pile of congratulatory e-mails from that same day. It's less of an issue now that DU said he could handle it, but I think that at least shipping out the game boxes might be thing way better handled by Larian - if possible, of course. Anyhoo, I'll post once I get any word on it.

Galaad

Novice
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
I dont really get how this thread has suddenly turned sour and the bad 'vibe' from it. Thats too bad, this seems to have started mainly with my post which was meant mostly as a joke in response to one Codexian commenting on Hidden being German. I only meant to show support to the codex & help Larian so that both side could reach 10k.

I think the fact Jaesun, Felipepepe and a few others came over to our forum to poke fun at us and harass us somewhat is part of what made me spend more than I normally would have. (Btw so it doesn't cause any more trouble, I just want to say I'm actually glad they did :P) It roused some slumbering members from the watch and helped Hidden, Crpgnut, Myrthos&co to rally the watch for this project. So I figured posting here could motivate maybe a few to do likewise on your end!

Ah well, you can't ever make everyone happy :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom