Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind defiling continues - Skywind

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Finding a zoomer into something like Skyrim is rare, I've only met a couple in my life, like 1% of those who told me they play games. The numbers have grown for sure since COVID because everyone and their mom got a PC over COVID so I'm sure a chunk of them have found their way from multiplayer to shit AAA RPGs but not many.
It depends on how we define the word "zoomer". Older ones (born 97-99) were within the target audience for Skyrim upon its initial release, as were a few more years' worth with the Special Edition release in 2016. A lot of our stereotypes about zoomers now primarily apply to those born in the late 2000s that are currently at high school age, but the term was really coined by older millennials about 7-8 years ago to describe high schoolers that are now in their early-mid 20s.
The most common definition of Generation Z indicates those born from 1995 through 2009, meaning the oldest turned 16 years old in 2011 and were certainly old enough to have played Skyrim at release, as high-schoolers. Of course, that also means the youngest of Generation Z turned 14 years old last year and would be unlikely to have ever played Skyrim; this conception of 'generations' was developed by American marketeers in the post-WWII era and generally doesn't mean much of substance. The 'Baby Boom' is the only generation based on some objective reality, since there actually was a sharp rise in American fertility rates starting at the end of WWII which eventually terminated about 20 years later. There's no valid rationale for dividing people into these generational cohorts, which misleadingly presents each generation as a monolithic bloc, exaggerates differences between these groups, and presents changes as occurring abruptly at the arbitrarily-chosen generational dividing lines.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
My impression is that most of the zoomers in their early 20s have played Skyrim or know a fair amount about it via. meme/gamer culture. No metrics/data as you said, just my impression. I see people on youtube or whatever talk about it and they'll be younger than me (29).
It is certainly extremely common, and anecdotally, quite a few have played Oblivion too (not as many, of course, but a lot more common than you might expect).

Either way, I still maintain millennials are still the largest demographic by far purchasing these shit games, on top of "definitive editions", merchandise, etc. Geek culture + old enough to have more disposable income compared to zoomers seems to me they're the harbingers of decline.
There's not really a clear enough delineation for that to matter; youngest millennials are far closer to zoomers, while the oldest are in their early 40s. If you're suggesting that borderline zoomers and 40-somethings have more in common than 29 year olds and 25 year olds, you'd be attaching way too much to what is ultimately a reductive, simplistic term.

And while older millennials are somewhat receptive in the silly nostalgia baiting that has become so popular and bad for all sorts of media, it seems most common among middle aged people who have kids etc. People who have a reason to want low-hanging escapism.

edit: basically ninja'd by Zed Duke of Banville, who is much more eloquent about it lol

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The most common definition of Generation Z indicates those born from 1995 through 2009, meaning the oldest turned 16 years old in 2011 and were certainly old enough to have played Skyrim at release, as high-schoolers. Of course, that also means the youngest of Generation Z turned 14 years old last year and would be unlikely to have ever played Skyrim; this conception of 'generations' was developed by American marketeers in the post-WWII era and generally doesn't mean much of substance. The 'Baby Boom' is the only generation based on some objective reality, since there actually was a sharp rise in American fertility rates starting at the end of WWII which eventually terminated about 20 years later. There's no valid rationale for dividing people into these generational cohorts, which misleadingly presents each generation as a monolithic bloc, exaggerates differences between these groups, and presents changes as occurring abruptly at the arbitrarily-chosen generational dividing lines.

There's not really a clear enough delineation for that to matter; youngest millennials are far closer to zoomers, while the oldest are in their early 40s. If you're suggesting that borderline zoomers and 40-somethings have more in common than 29 year olds and 25 year olds, you'd be attaching way too much to what is ultimately a reductive, simplistic term.

And while older millennials are somewhat receptive in the silly nostalgia baiting that has become so popular and bad for all sorts of media, it seems most common among middle aged people who have kids etc. People who have a reason to want low-hanging escapism.

I should have been more clear and prefaced my statements - I was not going off of the literal definition of the generations, but my own.

I.e. I completely disregard those "young" zoomers when it comes to RPGs because they just don't play them. Separate from the "older" zoomers who were the last generation to have a real childhood, not raised by social media/ipad/smart phones. (Ex. I'm 8 years older than my little cousin and we both got smart phones around the same time)

Whatever the defining line, I still believe that Skyrim and all those AAA decline "RPGs" are propped up and succeed due to that "millennial" group, although I don't know how else I can describe it. Whether they're "younger millennials" in their 30s, or the older/middle aged ones, the best way I can describe them is: Those people you find on subreddits on BioWare/Insert Whatever very popular RPG. The one's that, even if zoomers have a majority in player base, the millennials still have the purchasing power. The ones who keep the game alive and funded through any purchasable item, etc.

Either way, I just wish there was data for this kind of thing. I've been dying to prove this to myself because all the anecdotal evidence in my life (and a large personal sample size, from different continents even) points towards what I'm saying. Anyone falling in that late teens-mid 20s age range, despite being old enough for Skyrim when released, are not the ones propping this game up. (The original point I was replying to said "Zoomers with ADD will probably eat it up though, I'll grant."). I could very well be underestimating the population of terminally online zoomers eating this stuff up, but I doubt the difference between terminally online zoomers vs. geek millennials is large enough for original commenter to only mention zoomers.

Eazy-E

Literate
Zoomers with ADD will probably eat it up though, I'll grant.
Finding a zoomer into something like Skyrim is rare, I've only met a couple in my life, like 1% of those who told me they play games. The numbers have grown for sure since COVID because everyone and their mom got a PC over COVID so I'm sure a chunk of them have found their way from multiplayer to shit AAA RPGs but not many.
It depends on how we define the word "zoomer". Older ones (born 97-99) were within the target audience for Skyrim upon its initial release, as were a few more years' worth with the Special Edition release in 2016. A lot of our stereotypes about zoomers now primarily apply to those born in the late 2000s that are currently at high school age, but the term was really coined by older millennials about 7-8 years ago to describe high schoolers that are now in their early-mid 20s.
The zoomers I am referring to in my post are in their early-mid 20s. I just wish there was data for this, because of low sample size (~1000 people I would've talked to about games in this demographic, only 2 have mentioned Skyrim and one of them is a close friend who only talks about it because of how much he despises that game compared to Morrowind), it's entirely possible I somehow avoided every Skyrim player in existence.
My impression is that most of the zoomers in their early 20s have played Skyrim or know a fair amount about it via. meme/gamer culture. No metrics/data as you said, just my impression. I see people on youtube or whatever talk about it and they'll be younger than me (29).
As a zoomer I can confirm that portion of us that play games beyond the mainstream FIFA/COD. The type of people who have steam accounts, bring gaming laptops to school, will certainly be familiar with Skyrim if no other RPGS

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
As a zoomer I can confirm that portion of us that play games beyond the mainstream FIFA/COD. The type of people who have steam accounts, bring gaming laptops to school, will certainly be familiar with Skyrim if no other RPGS
There was not a single one of these people in my highschool, other than the very small weeb crowd who would play smash bros but they were an isolated tribe of fags

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The only zoomers I know play Fortnite/Roblox/Minecraft. They're not interested in a game if nobody streams it, and they want to craft shit.

Eazy-E

Literate
There was not a single one of these people in my highschool, other than the very small weeb crowd who would play smash bros but they were an isolated tribe of fags
My school had that isolated library colony of smash bros fags also

Spike

Educated
Yup, unfortunately no demographics information, that's something I'd be very interested in. The only talk of Skyrim I've seen is online which leads me to believe talking to people irl leads to a more social/multiplayer bias in terms of gaming.

Either way, I still maintain millennials are still the largest demographic by far purchasing these shit games, on top of "definitive editions", merchandise, etc. Geek culture + old enough to have more disposable income compared to zoomers seems to me they're the harbingers of decline.
"Millennials are harbingers of decline"...This stings because it is true. I really, truly despise my generation. I despised them even as a lad with their unrefined, putrid tastes. They are also the reason for the faggy (double entendre) political sphere we have now. Truly a despicable, tasteless lot. Look no further than the case study of Shadow of Rome (2005), a hidden gem from Capcom. A sequel was being made, but it did not sell well, so the bare combat mechanics in Shadow of Rome became Dead Rising. Still a great game, but my faggot ass peers had no appreciation for the majesty of an ancient Roman setting. Yet the second a brainless (pun unintended) setting like DUDE ZOMBIES IN A MALL!!! is in a game, it outsells everything and has 3 sequels. Allow me to point to Maximo: Ghost to Glory and Maximo: Army of Zin as well. These games are excellent. A third game was being made but was cancelled because 2 did not sell well.

I cannot allow myself to think on these things, because they, if dwelt on, will produce unbridled apoplectic rage within me. The uncultured tasteless hack syndrome that is synonymous with wretched millennial fags applies to both the soy fruitcakes and jungle-music-loving wiggerboys alike. This syndrome applies to how they view music, politics, religion, and the world. White kids in my school bought console shooter games, and enjoyed them the most, and pretended to act black because of hip hop in equal measure. They are equally led astray by vague political notions. I cannot think of a more uncultured, unthinking mass in human history. Do they even have instincts? Yet I still love these spineless, idiotic, clueless oafs because they share a certain camaraderie with me being of the same generation. I also must love my fellow man, and do. Yet, let the Roman patrician disdain of plebs be vindicated, because they are in our midst without number. We must rip people out of Plato's cave one-by-one. Even if that cave is full of funko pops.

Spike

Educated
fruitcakes and jungle-music-loving wiggerboys alike.
If it's any consolation, zoomers have millennials beat on this
Please...No...It is a kind of consolation. But still: :decline:
Considering how bad this generation is , it's really a feat millennials are still worse. No need to cope and ignore this fact.
I thought Millennials are worse because of the larger amount of wiggerboys/soifags per capita. You mean zoomers have more of both camps, and are STILL better?

fruitcakes and jungle-music-loving wiggerboys alike.
If it's any consolation, zoomers have millennials beat on this
Please...No...It is a kind of consolation. But still: :decline:
Considering how bad this generation is , it's really a feat millennials are still worse. No need to cope and ignore this fact.
I thought Millennials are worse because of the larger amount of wiggerboys/soifags per capita. You mean zoomers have more of both camps, and are STILL better?
In terms of RPG decline, millennials are worse. That's what I'm saying. The factors which contribute to that I've said previously in the thread.

MerchantKing

Learned
I never understood why anyone would even bother trying to do Morrowind in either oblivion or skyrim. No medium armor, no spears (or even animations for them), no alchemy. Skyrim itself doesn't even have spell crafting. The enchanting in both games was much more limited than in Morrowind too.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
normie

Could not even use multiple threads/cores, unfixable z-fighting, etc. Compiled without optimisation flags. It's one of the worst engines in gaming history.

Eazy-E

Literate
I never understood why anyone would even bother trying to do Morrowind in either oblivion or skyrim. No medium armor, no spears (or even animations for them), no alchemy. Skyrim itself doesn't even have spell crafting. The enchanting in both games was much more limited than in Morrowind too.
duh graphics bro XDDD

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom