Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind defiling continues - Skywind

volklore

Arcane
It's looking fantastic. They've really gone to town on the interior design.

Probably been answered already but how likely is this to work with regular Skyrim mods? Slap Requiem or one of the other overhauls on it (and disable the stupid parts of Requiem) and this could be a great time.
I think there is 0 chance requiem will work on this unless somebody makes an expansive patch. And again the chances for that are very slim because I am pretty sure skywind is slapping gameplay changes on top of skyrim system to try to recreate ''a modern version of morrowind gameplay''.

Cancer

Literate
This makes no god damn sense at all. Wouldn't the RPG-compliant idea be to bring Skyrim into the Morrowind engine? They got this ass backwa...

...oh. It's the graphics, isn't it?

Lemming42

Arcane
Morrowind's systems are terrible. Using Skyrim as a base brings a couple of advantages, most obviously NPC reactivty (which is borderline nonexistent in MW), functional stealth, and better archery. Plus they seem to be using scripted dialogue and scenes in their quests, which again Morrowind essentially can't handle. Moving over to Skyrim is more than worth the tradeoff of losing the spellmaker and levitation IMO, and while Skyrim's skill/perk system is shit and disappointingly simplistic, Morrowind's skill system is the most inane thing ever created, so it's more of a sidegrade than a downgrade.

Funposter

Arcane
Morrowind's skill system is the most inane thing ever created
JgIjnmM.jpeg

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Seeing Skyrim gameplay makes me puke. I don't see a Morrowind remake, I see Skyrim wearing Morrowind clothes.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Looks like soulless trash made for NPCs who cannot into games older than 10 years or so. Removing spellmaking is a dealbreaker, half the fun of playing a mage in Morrowind is making your own crazy custom spells for different encounters.

VerSacrum

Educated
Morrowind's systems are terrible. Using Skyrim as a base brings a couple of advantages, most obviously NPC reactivty (which is borderline nonexistent in MW), functional stealth, and better archery. Plus they seem to be using scripted dialogue and scenes in their quests, which again Morrowind essentially can't handle. Moving over to Skyrim is more than worth the tradeoff of losing the spellmaker and levitation IMO, and while Skyrim's skill/perk system is shit and disappointingly simplistic, Morrowind's skill system is the most inane thing ever created, so it's more of a sidegrade than a downgrade.
I don't think getting asked if I get to the cloud district very often for the 1000th time is more immersive/reactive than the different MW greetings based on faction rep/personality stat.
As for the spellmaker and perks, if it's compatible with the EnaiRim magic overhauls for Skyrim it could potentially be much more fun to play a mage than in Morrowind. Really wasn't a viable playstyle unless you cheesed enchantments.

Lemming42

Arcane
I don't think getting asked if I get to the cloud district very often for the 1000th time is more immersive/reactive than the different MW greetings based on faction rep/personality stat.
No but having people not stand in the same space 24 hours a day while you steal their entire shop's stock one inch behind their back is a bonus.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
No but having people not stand in the same space 24 hours a day while you steal their entire shop's stock one inch behind their back is a bonus.
I guarantee any and all work gone into Skywind could have been put to better use by improving Morrowind, or OpenMW, instead.

Hell even if we ignore the difference in modding Morrowind vs Skyrim when it comes to coding, at the very least the artists could have worked on improving Morrowind mesh and texture models instead...

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Even if it weren't for cut features, just the lack of any real atmosphere in that demo video is the death of a project like this. It reminds me a lot of ESO in a way. Competently done well enough at a technical level, but missing soul. That's also the reason I don't use any of those awful HD texture/mesh mods for Morrowind, it just takes away from the original feel too much. Zoomers with ADD will probably eat it up though, I'll grant.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Zoomers with ADD will probably eat it up though, I'll grant.
I want to see actual stats, because I see so many people claiming this but I don't think the older people here understand how rare it is for a zoomer to care about any RPGs, even streamlined AAA ones, those are still too boring for them. To Gen Z, especially since COVID, gaming is a social activity akin to going to the mall together and just shooting the shit. Just like the gaming, the main attraction isn't what you're doing/where you're at but the social interaction that comes with it.

Finding a zoomer into something like Skyrim is rare, I've only met a couple in my life, like 1% of those who told me they play games. The numbers have grown for sure since COVID because everyone and their mom got a PC over COVID so I'm sure a chunk of them have found their way from multiplayer to shit AAA RPGs but not many.

The people who eat this shit up, the biggest consumers out there, are the geek culture millennials.

^^In the west at least. I've met more female eastern euro females who have played Gothic than any western zoomer who plays any RPGS

Funposter

Arcane
Finding a zoomer into something like Skyrim is rare, I've only met a couple in my life, like 1% of those who told me they play games. The numbers have grown for sure since COVID because everyone and their mom got a PC over COVID so I'm sure a chunk of them have found their way from multiplayer to shit AAA RPGs but not many.
It depends on how we define the word "zoomer". Older ones (born 97-99) were within the target audience for Skyrim upon its initial release, as were a few more years' worth with the Special Edition release in 2016. A lot of our stereotypes about zoomers now primarily apply to those born in the late 2000s that are currently at high school age, but the term was really coined by older millennials about 7-8 years ago to describe high schoolers that are now in their early-mid 20s.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It depends on how we define the word "zoomer". Older ones (born 97-99) were within the target audience for Skyrim upon its initial release, as were a few more years' worth with the Special Edition release in 2016. A lot of our stereotypes about zoomers now primarily apply to those born in the late 2000s that are currently at high school age, but the term was really coined by older millennials about 7-8 years ago to describe high schoolers that are now in their early-mid 20s.
The zoomers I am referring to in my post are in their early-mid 20s. I just wish there was data for this, because of low sample size (~1000 people I would've talked to about games in this demographic, only 2 have mentioned Skyrim and one of them is a close friend who only talks about it because of how much he despises that game compared to Morrowind), it's entirely possible I somehow avoided every Skyrim player in existence.

Funposter

Arcane
The zoomers I am referring to in my post are in their early-mid 20s. I just wish there was data for this, because of low sample size (~1000 people I would've talked to about games in this demographic, only 2 have mentioned Skyrim and one of them is a close friend who only talks about it because of how much he despises that game compared to Morrowind), it's entirely possible I somehow avoided every Skyrim player in existence.
My impression is that most of the zoomers in their early 20s have played Skyrim or know a fair amount about it via. meme/gamer culture. No metrics/data as you said, just my impression. I see people on youtube or whatever talk about it and they'll be younger than me (29).

My impression is that most of the zoomers in their early 20s have played Skyrim or know a fair amount about it via. meme/gamer culture. No metrics/data as you said, just my impression. I see people on youtube or whatever talk about it and they'll be younger than me (29).
Yup, unfortunately no demographics information, that's something I'd be very interested in. The only talk of Skyrim I've seen is online which leads me to believe talking to people irl leads to a more social/multiplayer bias in terms of gaming.

Either way, I still maintain millennials are still the largest demographic by far purchasing these shit games, on top of "definitive editions", merchandise, etc. Geek culture + old enough to have more disposable income compared to zoomers seems to me they're the harbingers of decline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom