Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind was massive decline and should be considered as such

skaraher

Cipher
Nobody would be talking about MW today if it weren't for the unusualness of Vvardenfell.
Morrowind still was the first full 3D rpg experience where you could dick around forever going on adventures in a massive and interactive fantasy world. Sure, Vvardenfell helped build the cult following it has today, but most people who arent die hard TES fans who loved Morrowind enjoyed it for that aspect.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's a shame that the roguelike elements were removed

shame for butthurt people like you

understand Mw was just a completely different approach than daggerfall

not better or worse, just different

In daggerfall every pixel on the map is a town/shrine/dungeon. The idea was quantity over quality

with Mw they went for the opposite. a small but hand-crafted world with manually-placed statics and hand-crafted environments

hence you have fucking toothpicks hidden from you or items on a ledge 10 meters up in a cave

just deal with it, bum

skaraher

Cipher
It's a shame that the roguelike elements were removed

shame for butthurt people like you

not better or worse, just different

In daggerfall every pixel on the map is a town/shrine/dungeon. The idea was quantity over quality

with Mw they went for a small, but carefully hand-crafted world (a single island), prioritising manually-placed statics over generic content and replacing proceduraly-generated environments with hand-crafted ones

hence you have fucking toothpicks hidden from you or items on a ledge 10 meters up in a cave

just deal with it, bum
Morrowind had a shitload of generic and uninteresting dungeons, most of the loot is randomized and level scaled chests, and the game balance quickly breaks once you clean your first daedric ruin and get the snowballing running as selling the ennemies weapons will allow you to get ludicrous amounts of money and optimize training.

Actually Morrowind started the broken levelling system that everyone hated in Oblivion. The fact that combat was a lot easier and ennemies HP werent bloated helped hide it a bit, but it still rested on the retarded principe that you had to use in priority Skills outside your class specialization, to a 2/3 ratio.

Yes, unlimited training allowed for it to be less tedious (and provided a moneysink) but it was still a fundamentely broken system.

The best dungeons are almost all on the MQ critical path. I remember that the Mage Guild dwemer plot was particular laughable as you're making groundbreaking discoveries and solving the Disappearance of the Dwarves by clearing two-rooms ruins with 3 enemies.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Yeah, and they didn't make the most of it, like I said.

"it's small but hand-crafted!!" Nice, but many of the elements within that small but handcrafted world suck. They're either outright bad (combat, AI, NPC reactivity, most dungeon design) or half-implemented (disposition), and mechanics that should be blindingly obvious are missing (crime system, etc). This is the case with all Bethesda games, all of which I enjoy, but saying "it's a change in direction" doesn't shield the game from criticism of how that change was handled, and how the potential offered by that change was not met.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
most of the loot is randomized

lol no

Actually Morrowind started the broken levelling systems that everyone hated in Oblivion

akshually aliens

every few years some idiot on meth claims morrowind had level scaling

morrowind had microscopic level scaling (practically none for all intents and purposes other than the lich boss in tribunal)

go hit yourself in the head with a hammer, quickly

Last edited:

skaraher

Cipher
most of the loot is randomized

lol no
Have you played the game recently ? I still do regularly and most dungeons arent Arkhntang. The vast majority of the loot is those same chests with soul gems, scrolls, and a generic magic weapons. Early game you are bombarded with Ondusi, late game with Locksplitter. The only dangerous humans NPC all have those same paralysis blades. Wow ! Such carefully thought handcrafting. :smug:

You should put off the rose tinted glasses.

every few years some idiot on meth claims morrowind had level scaling
Yeah bruh it's not just about level scaling. Have you actually played it or are you just watching Dagoth memes on youtube ? Its literally the same "get +10 skills for +5 attributes" than in Oblivion.

skaraher

Cipher
So in what way acknowledging Morrowind started most of the trends that led TES to decline is modernism ? You sure seem to be suffering of a typical slavic lack of critical thought and black and white morality. :smug:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Diablo 2 and Half Life started many, many, many trends that led to decline

regardless they are still masterpieces, just like Morrowind

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
You sure seem to be suffering of a typical slavic lack of critical thought and black and white morality.
if it werent for slavs, you wouldnt have internet and electric current, and you would speak german while taking cocks up the arse

inferior anglo saxon toothless whore

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
s, unlimited training allowed for it to be less tedious (and provided a moneysink) but it was still a fundamentely broken system.

What is the problem? IRL if I wanna to learn how to be a effective at something, finding someone who mastered it and can teach me is a good way to train. Daggerfall also allowed you to train unlimited, you just need to rest for a day befre training again.

skaraher

Cipher
s, unlimited training allowed for it to be less tedious (and provided a moneysink) but it was still a fundamentely broken system.

What is the problem? IRL if I wanna to learn how to be a effective at something, finding someone who mastered it and can teach me is a good way to train. Daggerfall also allowed you to train unlimited, you just need to rest for a day befre training again.
Didnt say unlimited training was the problem, it helped mitigate the flaw of the system.

Downside was that you could instantly convert money to levels and become OP after a few dungeon raids. Or if you were a thief like characters, you could easily reach level 15, 100 in strength and speed, without leaving Caldera/Balmora/Vivec walls and without fighting anything, just by looting ordinators and great houses vaults. :M

Oblivion tried to nerf it by limiting training to +5 by levels. So the flaw of being forced to use 2/3 of non-class skills for optimal levelling became more apparent.

Funposter

Arcane
Apologies in advance for the WORDS WORDS WORDS posting

I don't agree - you can spend a vast amount of time on the overworld in DF, depending on how you choose to play, and there are a huge number of quests that do not require dungeon crawling. Many of the tavern, merchant and noble quests take place within the city you're currently in, which can equate to a lot of gameplay spent simply roaming city streets looking for specific people or buildings and quizzing the locals. A number of guild quests are also overworld-only, especially for temples who'll ask you to go to people's houses to heal them or whatever.
Sure, but I'd be quick to draw a distinction between the procedurally generated overworld of Daggerfall (barring what, the actual cities of Daggerfall, Wayrest and Sentinel?) and the overworld of Morrowind. I'm also making a distinction here between the overworld (as in the wilderness) and towns. Morrowind's wilderness is where a huge portion of its gameplay takes place, which is a massive point of difference with Daggerfall. Morrowind is very much about the physical journey between quest giver and quest objective.

I think the only good thing MW does for thieves is add probes in addition to lockpicks, but they're both governed by the same skill so it's functionally a waste of time. The crime system, which we both agree is lost in MW, is another obvious blow to thief gameplay. Fun thief gameplay surely requires an element of risk and tangible consequences for failure, which MW completely lacks, beyond paying a fine to a guard.
We're in agreement about stores, so fine. I have no problem with Probes being under the Security skill, because it helps to balance it against Alteration. If Security only covered lockpicking, then it would be entirely inferior to Alteration, instead of just mostly. The consequence of "paying a fine to a guard" is a problem across all TES games, tbh. Crime as a whole has little actual consequence. At least in Morrowind you can receive a death warrant if you steal something valuable enough, or murder enough people.

Might as well throw in the mention here that Morrowind removed lock bashing, which has always annoyed me because there's no reason for it. Maybe for balance reasons or something, but again, thieves are completely fucked in Morrowind, so they could at least have thrown us a fucking bone.
Yeah, I always thought that this was kind of weird. My guess is engine/time limitations. As it is, Open scrolls are somewhat plentiful and this functions the same way insofar as it means money = open locks. You're just spending that money on scrolls instead of repairing weapons. Maybe they thought it would be unbalanced since you can repair your own gear now? idk

This isn't true; there's an enemy pacification chance with each language skill, including Etiquette and Streetwise (which is based on enemy class - Knights and such go for Etiquette, Rogues and such go for Streetwise). Etiquette and Streetwise also play a big part in NPC dialogue, meaning you'll get more use out of the Polite/Blunt options when applied to the correct social class.
I should clarify that I'm aware that the Language skills pacify enemies, I just don't think it's all that useful. Maybe you could make an argument for Daedric and Orcish since that potentially covers entire dungeons in certain cases, but the pacification of Knights in a dungeon that includes seven other kinds of human enemies is...not even situational, but just a nice little bonus.

Remember that pacified enemies may also fight on your behalf and protect you from enemies who you failed to talk down, another useful mechanic for a thief whose skills do not lie primarily in combat.
I will openly admit that I wasn't aware of this aspect of the skills. This is, however, an option with the 'Command' spell effect in Morrowind. So it's simply moved from one skill to another.

I think the issue - which again, is replicated in Oblivion and Skyrim - is that dungeons in MW almost never actually allow you to use your non-combat skills in any meaningful way, nor do they offer any other form of gameplay. In Daggerfall, your language sklills automatically roll when you're in range of an enemy, as does your stealth skill. Navigating vertically means you'll have to use either your climbing skill or some form of magic (and if you don't have these, you might simply fail the dungeon). Underwater passages mean that not only will you require a solid Swimming skill, but you also might have to reduce your carry weight to avoid sinking - which means, for heavy armour characters, that you might have to go in naked, with all the risks that entails (and if you wind up getting teleported away, you'll now be naked in the middle of a new location with no idea where your armour went). Your core attributes play a part in all of this, of course - Strength (or Speed? I forget, it's STR in Arena) plays a role in how far you can jump, Agility plays a role in most of the athletic skills, and I'm sure one of them determines how long you can hold your breath underwater, though don't ask me which.
I think the design is different, because most of these things are present in Morrowind (except for armour/equip weight messing with underwater navigation), but are most commonly used to hide the best treasure from the player. Multiple dungeons have hand-placed, endgame loot hidden behind locked doors, areas that you need levitation or a massive acrobatics skill to reach, or in flooded areas that a character without a high Athletics or Swift Swim/Water Breathing won't make it through without taking damage. An Imperial Cult questline also has an NPC hidden in an area that requires Levitation. Telvanni towers require it, too. I think that you're also overstating the impact of armour+water in Daggerfall dungeons when just about everyone knows to create a low level Waterwalking spell that is super easy to cast and functionally removes these sections as an issue. Good in theory, busted in practice (like a lot of stuff in MW tbf)

This means that preparation also plays a key role - a mark/recall spell or enchantment is ideal, but you may also need levitation gear or potions and other things to help you navigate hazards which your character's skills may not be suitable against.
tbf this is also true of Morrowind and is a piece of advice that NPCs constantly give to you. Never travel into the backcountry without levitation, recall/intervention and cure disease potions/scrolls.

I'm aware of the internal system which determines advancement. I didn't know that it ever affected disposition of other NPCs outside the guild in question, especially because MW seems to very rarely have real consequences for low disposition (whereas in DF, people from guilds/social classes you'd alienated would outright refuse to interact with you at times, and you could be refused service). Are there any examples other than the one of the Mages' Guild and Telvanni?
It affects all factions. Mages Guild and Telvanni are the most hostile (apart from everyone and Vampires), but the effect can be compounded by joining multiple factions that are all disliked by the same ones. It also affects NPC-only factions, like the Camonna Tong. A Thieves Guild character playing through the MQ (so they've joined The Blades) will have a -5 modifier when speaking to Camonna Tong NPCs. I'll post a few images as examples:

Xm0IoSb.png
7sj8BEK.png
T1lErUc.png

They broadly tend to split along native/Imperial lines, but the Great Houses all dislike each other too. An interesting interaction, also reflected in dialogue, is that the Imperial Legion, Fighter's Guild and House Redoran all respect each other, making it very easy for fighter characters to join or pleasantly interact with all three factions. It's a contrast to the hatred between the Mages Guild and Telvanni, and the slightly less over-the-top disdain between the two religious factions and the Thieves Guild and House Hlaalu. Combinations like Imperial Cult+Imperial Legion and Tribunal Temple+House Redoran occur quite naturally, too.

Like with many things in MW, it's twice as annoying because it's a squandered opportunity. The tradeoff with MW is meant to be "yes, it's smaller and has less systems, but it's handcrafted!!!". In that case, you'd hope NPCs, given that there's comparatively so few of them, would be relatively unique, and have unique dialogue and personalities (even Oblivion set out to attempt this by giving everyone one or two dumb unique lines when you asked about the city you're currently in - "I'm Cockius Suckius, and I run the local store here").
I think the problem here is that Morrowind has like 3,000 NPCs and was primarily developed by six people.

The Camonna Tong supposedly revile me, yet they'll politely tell me about the history of Balmora with the exact same boring wiki dialogue that the nice old lady outside had.
It's about how it all ties back to the Disposition stat, but also certain topics aren't ever really hidden from you. Ask the Camonna Tong about "latest rumours" and they'll usually tell you to fuck off.

or there was a day/night cycle that actually affected anything
werewolves~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Morrowind still was the first full 3D rpg experience where you could dick around forever going on adventures in a massive and interactive fantasy world. Sure, Vvardenfell helped build the cult following it has today, but most people who arent die hard TES fans who loved Morrowind enjoyed it for that aspect.

Yeah, Morrowind at the time was mindblowing as a 3D game. I will never forget the first time I set eyes on the water.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Yeah, Morrowind at the time was mindblowing as a 3D game. I will never forget the first time I set eyes on the water.
I always liked how the water looks in the game. First time getting off the ship, yeah, it's pretty epic.

Falksi

Arcane
Morrowind has a lot of issues but I prefer it to Daggerfall in every way. Both have a large number of broken, awkward, or feather-weight systems but Morrowind has a far better sense of exploration and a more realized setting/culture to it. I enjoyed exploring Morrowind for quite some time, especially right at the start in the swamp. It keeps some interest with just roaming about even as each system starts to break. I enjoyed the first dungeon of Daggerfall and found a steep dropoff not long after.

Personally, traversing a more realized world had far more weight to it. Add in the stellar music, bizarre setting, it sticks with me. Just wish it wasn't so ludicrously broken.
One of the things which I like about Morrowind is that the systems breaking feels almost part of the natural evolution into a God.

This obviously wasn't intentional, but it works for me.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"it's small but hand-crafted!!" Nice, but many of the elements within that small but handcrafted world suck.
Yeah but in a large and procedurally generated world EVERY element sucks, it's a necessary side effect of "roguelike elements" that 99% of the content is going to be shit.

Hand-made is always better, no exceptions.

Lemming42

Arcane
Sure, but I'd be quick to draw a distinction between the procedurally generated overworld of Daggerfall (barring what, the actual cities of Daggerfall, Wayrest and Sentinel?) and the overworld of Morrowind. I'm also making a distinction here between the overworld (as in the wilderness) and towns. Morrowind's wilderness is where a huge portion of its gameplay takes place, which is a massive point of difference with Daggerfall. Morrowind is very much about the physical journey between quest giver and quest objective.
This is true, but perhaps my issue with MW is that the overworld itself, in some ways, is a dungeon, in that it's replete with combat encounters with wildlife and bandits. Barring cities, there's never really a point in Morrowind (or Oblivion or Skyrim) where you don't feel as though you're in a combat game, whereas Daggerfall would often have you doing detective work in settlements, asking around about things, navigating large cities, travelling to and from "safe" areas, etc. You can try to be a thief who stays in the cities, but again, the thief mechanics are shot and it doesn't offer a mechanically-complete gameplay experience, given how crap the NPC AI is and how trivial the consequences of being caught are.

It's that change in direction that disappoints me, especially because it didn't have to be that way - you can see from a lot of Oblivion and Skyrim mods how the world sim aspects of Daggerfall could have easily been retained and improved upon within the format used by Todd-era games.

The consequence of "paying a fine to a guard" is a problem across all TES games, tbh. Crime as a whole has little actual consequence
Again, I'd suggest DF is the exception, with things like "Banishment" and "Criminal Conspiracy", which make it functionally impossible for you to viist entire sections of the map if you alienate people enough. It's something that again I think could have very easily been retained in MW, but which inexplicably wasn't. You can perhaps see the most disappointing use of the crime system with Skyrim - they went to the effort of making individual holds track crime, which is a great idea, but then there's still no actual consequences for repeatedly and/or severely defying the law.

I will openly admit that I wasn't aware of this aspect of the skills. This is, however, an option with the 'Command' spell effect in Morrowind. So it's simply moved from one skill to another.
The same spell effect existed in DF (as Charm), as did the "Comprehend Languages" spell effect which would make a mage an expert linguist. It makes sense for MW to strip the mechanic down and relegate it to only a spell effect, because the game is about making combat-focused characters, and a mage can use spells like that as part of an arsenal... but that's my problem with the change of direction.

It affects all factions. Mages Guild and Telvanni are the most hostile (apart from everyone and Vampires), but the effect can be compounded by joining multiple factions that are all disliked by the same ones. It also affects NPC-only factions, like the Camonna Tong. A Thieves Guild character playing through the MQ (so they've joined The Blades) will have a -5 modifier when speaking to Camonna Tong NPCs. I'll post a few images as examples:
That's interesting, thanks.

I think the problem here is that Morrowind has like 3,000 NPCs and was primarily developed by six people.
Sure, but there were surely countless better ways to handle it than the way they chose. Even Oblivion's approach would work, of having everyone have just one or two unique lines when asked about the city you're in. Characters also have jobs as seen in the "my trade" option, so perhaps there could have been a pool of responses for each of those classes for the other topics. Just anything other than the system they ended up with, which manages to somehow be both cumbersome and overwrought and also not useful in most cases.

Even Arena had a better system, arguably - you could ask for directions to any location in town, ask for general rumours, and ask about the person themselves and what they did. Most of the responses would be concise, have some kind of personality, and sound like something that someone might actually say, as opposed to the copy/pasted schizophrenic wikipedia passages that MW NPCs read out to the player.

Last edited:

ind33d

Educated

it's more impressive in VR, but the excessive walking causes motion sickness. if you wear the boots of blinding speed with a VR headset on, you probably have an aneurysm

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom