Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mortal: The Simulation Video Game

I don't see you on that list, or anywhere successful really. You know to be a professional it needs to be your way of making a living, aka something that you do as a profession. Throwing your work up on Amazon or whatever doesn't make you a professional.

Gahbreeil

Scholar
I don't see you on that list, or anywhere successful really. You know to be a professional it needs to be your way of making a living, aka something that you do as a profession. Throwing your work up on Amazon or whatever doesn't make you a professional.
Right. So a construction worker who is currently unemployed is no longer a professional? Picking a job for life in life does not mean it is your job. Got you.

STOP THE ETERNAL SPAM AND LET PEOPLE TALK ABOUT THE DESIGN DOCUMENT

Right. So a construction worker who is currently unemployed is no longer a professional? Picking a job for life in life does not mean it is your job. Got you.

A construction worker who's made a living of it would be a professional, some dude who did a bit of work on his own house isn't a professional. You do not give me the impression of someone who makes a living, or has ever made a living, writing books.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
People were talking about the word doc?
In this thread?
pulp-fiction-john-travolta.gif

Victor1234

Educated
I still haven't read that free glorious design document, but I was curious enough about the writer claims that I googled it. Your only self published book has been available for over a year for £6, currently on sale for £3. As far as I can tell, literally nobody has ever bought a single copy.

As a self-trained writer, thinker and a rhymer I aspire to write truly unique works of literature that merge prose, archaic and rhyme. Being quite proficient with all three by my own appraisal I have decided to write adventure novels that are inspired by my own thoughts about the world, everything within as well as romanticism and the past.

Dude, you're only embarrassing yourself. Get help.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Dude, you're only embarrassing yourself. Get help.
:slamdunk:
Laughing out loud, mate, I can write books. You cannot. Prove me wrong. Besides, how the hell would you know if I sold copies?
Let's be honest here, you live with your mum who keeps telling you to live your dreams but your dad's been trying to kick your ass to the curb for the past ten years. As a last ditch effort, you shit on the Codex trying to get someone to make a slam dunk video game for you to leech off of before you have to get a job as a burger flipper since you're unqualified for pizza delivery since true creatives write, not do, and you don't actually know how to drive. Or dress yourself, but that's a separate topic.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Wanting to make an Elder Scrolls game when all you can do is write is stupid and will never happen. Having a grandiose dream is great. I too have the rough outline for The Best RPG Ever. Fantasy world with over a dozen sentient races, monsters, factions, different planes of existance, gods, systems, etc. Destructible voxel world that doesn't look like a bunch of cubes (IE: 7 days to die). Economic/army management systems for players who want to become merchant princes/generals, that can also be ignored by those who just want to lop heads off as warriors or fry shit as pyromancers.

I also have lots of other ideas for lots of other games. So I start small, with something I can actually make, finish and publish. Not just because I need money but because the experience itself is valuable if I ever get the chance to make The Best RPG Ever.

Gahbreeil

Scholar
Let's be honest here, you live with your mum who keeps telling you to live your dreams but your dad's been trying to kick your ass to the curb for the past ten years. As a last ditch effort, you shit on the Codex trying to get someone to make a slam dunk video game for you to leech off of before you have to get a job as a burger flipper since you're unqualified for pizza delivery since true creatives write, not do, and you don't actually know how to drive. Or dress yourself, but that's a separate topic.
Would you care to explain where this supposition came from? I understand that you might've started your adult life being a "burger flipper" since you have family issues, evident by what you have written since you know the problems first hand, and since your very parents couldn't bother funding your college. Guess what? I commute because of my sincere interest in Green technology. You dress in a suit when you go on the Codex? Low blow to mention someone's attire in order to insult that person. Do you know some people have to buy used clothing? Besides... "get someone to make a slam dunk video game" - This quote admits my video game is good. And I am the sole owner of the Intellectual Property. Mate, just stop before you contradict yourself some more. I know life is hard but you're not going to get any sympathy from me if you don't have an education, nor any understanding of reason. And it does seem your family issues prevented you from having an education. Mine was paid for by the state and the government because I passed my A-levels.

Tell me, are you an actual person? Or are you the "persona" you've created in order to be on this forum?
Wanting to make an Elder Scrolls game when all you can do is write is stupid and will never happen. Having a grandiose dream is great. I too have the rough outline for The Best RPG Ever. Fantasy world with over a dozen sentient races, monsters, factions, different planes of existance, gods, systems, etc. Destructible voxel world that doesn't look like a bunch of cubes (IE: 7 days to die). Economic/army management systems for players who want to become merchant princes/generals, that can also be ignored by those who just want to lop heads off as warriors or fry shit as pyromancers.

I also have lots of other ideas for lots of other games. So I start small, with something I can actually make, finish and publish. Not just because I need money but because the experience itself is valuable if I ever get the chance to make The Best RPG Ever.
Details, please.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Details for what? My Best RPG Ever? Absolutely not. Someone will steal my ideas. :keepmymoney:
I just brought it up in the (slight) hope that you will become more reasonable and focus on making a small game you can do on your own before (slowly) expanding to something larger and more complex.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
And I would be a million times more likely to join Justinian's team instead of Gahbreeli's. Because he is actually taking practical steps to make his dream a reality.

Gahbreeil

Scholar
How would you reply if I told you your game is too ambitious and so, the design is poor? Besides, did you know animals are sentient when you've designed a world with a dosen sentient races? Seems a bit bland and empty.

Regardless, tell me how to expand upon a video game project when it is made in RPG Maker like you've offered.
He also seems like less of a cunt, but YMMV.
What a tw*t you are, calling someone a c*nt for lack of an agreement upon "Your ideas are shit and no one will ever want to work on your project.". Why should I agree with you?

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
I don't need to be told my game is too ambitious in the first place. I already know that.

And you don't expand on an RPG Maker project. You make a game then move on to the next. Ideally using the money you made (if any) to expand your team. Your next game will have a built in audience (esp if it's the same genre).

Here, I'll even be generous and tell you exactly what kind of game to make: A Loren: Amazon Princess clone. The game (and others by the same developer) have two components: a story/dialogue component like a visual novel, and blobber-like turn based combat. The combat is surprisingly good, and the writing is mediocre to poor. If you're anywhere as good of a writer as you think you are you should easily be able to outdo the latter, and if you have any chops as a game designer you should be able to make fun blobber combat (a fairly low bar to pass, almost any TB blobber combat is fun). If you add optional nudes for perverts to gawk at slack jawed, even better, but I don't think you need that to get people interested.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Another question to ask yourself is whether you actually want to make a game, or just play a game that makes you happy, and made one up in your head because nobody makes it quite the way you want it.

Making a smaller game is a good way to find out if you actually enjoy game development as its own thing, because there will come a point where you hate what you are doing and want to quit, and it'll reveal whether it's ultimately something you want to do or not. Better to find that out on your own, before you get entangled into something you won't be able to cope with, and drag others down with you when you fail in disgrace. This is why most newbies get told to start with even simpler stuff like game jams.

mediocrepoet

Patron
What a tw*t you are, calling someone a c*nt for lack of an agreement upon "Your ideas are shit and no one will ever want to work on your project.". Why should I agree with you?
I don't care if you agree with me. I call you a cunt because I think you act like a cunt and I can't see anyone working with/for you without beating the everliving shit out of you. It's not complicated.

Your attitude sucks, your arrogance is unearned and I cannot fathom you having a job you're not immediately fired from if you act like this in real life.

YMMV of course. :P

Gahbreeil

Scholar
I don't care if you agree with me. I call you a cunt because I think you act like a cunt and I can't see anyone working with/for you without beating the everliving shit out of you. It's not complicated.

Your attitude sucks, your arrogance is unearned and I cannot fathom you having a job you're not immediately fired from if you act like this in real life.

YMMV of course. :P
Laughing out loud, a person without any constructive criticism and knowledge of the project telling me my attitude sucks and that I need to be beaten up by any co-workers in order for them to agree with me. I feel threatened. Should I commit suicide over this?

I don't need to be told my game is too ambitious in the first place. I already know that.

And you don't expand on an RPG Maker project. You make a game then move on to the next. Ideally using the money you made (if any) to expand your team. Your next game will have a built in audience (esp if it's the same genre).

Here, I'll even be generous and tell you exactly what kind of game to make: A Loren: Amazon Princess clone. The game (and others by the same developer) have two components: a story/dialogue component like a visual novel, and blobber-like turn based combat. The combat is surprisingly good, and the writing is mediocre to poor. If you're anywhere as good of a writer as you think you are you should easily be able to outdo the latter, and if you have any chops as a game designer you should be able to make fun blobber combat (a fairly low bar to pass, almost any TB blobber combat is fun). If you add optional nudes for perverts to gawk at slack jawed, even better, but I don't think you need that to get people interested.
I don't think my game is too ambitious because all the parts of the video game that I have defined are vital for the project to be what it is meant to be. It isn't a collage of ideas, it's a design document of a working game.

Is the epic Swords and Sandals an actual game? Tell me. As for you second post, why in the seven hells of Baator would I hate my hobby?

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Because it stops being a hobby and starts being a job once you have to work on it. And if you actually enjoy making games you should be fine with not having to make just that one specific game you have in your head (or a PDF). There are lots of games I'd like to make one day and likely no time to make them all. As long as I'm working on a game I like I am generally happy (even if I do get burned out or don't want to see another sprite/line of code ever again sometimes).

Anyway, I've given you about as much advice as anyone can at this point. You can either go make a game you can get done on your own or we'll see you back in two years with yet another PDF and no actual game in sight.

Last edited:

Gahbreeil

Scholar
Because it stops being a hobby and starts being a job once you have to work on it. And if you actually enjoy making games you should be fine with not having to make just that one specific game you have in your head (or a PDF). There are lots of games I'd like to make one day and likely no time to make them all. As long as I'm working on a game I like I am generally happy (even if I do get burned out or don't want to see another sprite/line of code ever again sometimes).

Anyway, I've given you about as much advice as anyone can at this point. You can either go make a game you can get done on your own or we'll see you back in two years with yet another PDF and no actual game in sight.
What I tried to point out is that a hobby can be a job. You work to advance your hobby. I do enjoy making/designing games. I don't like wasting time and so, I will not work on a "small game". There are only a few games I would like to make and essentially all the time I could want to design/make said games since I am a full-time writer. Which is my hobby by the way and I still don't hate it, it's actually even better than at first because I'm better at it/my hobby.

You like the game you're working on and you are happy. I cannot. Since you advice at this point is to stop. And yes, you proved not to know a single detail or idea out of the design document because it's the same bloody game as Sorcerer, only that I wrote more of it and fixed infringements on copyrights and bugs. I also rewrote the text to be more readable.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
"I'm a game developer that can only work on one specific game" is like a painter who can only paint one specific wall, or a prostitute that can only suck one specific dick. Not really a game developer.

Gahbreeil

Scholar
"I'm a game developer that can only work on one specific game" is like a painter who can only paint one specific wall, or a prostitute that can only suck one specific dick. Not really a game developer.
What are you talking about? And with who?

Look, I'm curious. Do politicians work on the internal affairs of many countries in order to be true politicians? Does the police precinct work on all the towns, cities and smaller settlements of a country in order to be the true police?

mediocrepoet

Patron
What are you talking about? And with who?

Look, I'm curious. Do politicians work on the internal affairs of many countries in order to be true politicians? Does the police precinct work on all the towns, cities and smaller settlements of a country in order to be the true police?
Quit trying to derail this thread. People are trying to discuss the profound word doc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom